The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Chemistry Paper 1 H432/01 - 13th Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did the OCR A Level Chemistry Paper 1 exam go for you?

OCR A Level Chemistry Periodic table elements and physical chemistry H432/01 - 13 Jun 2022

-Exam Chat Thread-

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... This is the place to be

Feel free to chat about your exam, add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others

This thread covers the following papers:

H432/01 Paper 1 2h15 13 June 2022 am

Resources

Official Specification

Advance Information

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Chemistry is so hard :frown: This paper is really worrying me!
What do you think the grade boundaries will be like?
Original post by s.norman182

Why are you worried about this paper? :smile:

I think the grade boundaries will be higher than 2021 but lower compared to a 'normal' year. I could be wrong!
(edited 2 years ago)

Which topics/questions are you struggling with?
Original post by ganesteaches
Which topics/questions are you struggling with?

Physical chemistry is a minefield for me. For some reason I just end up messing up calculations. I need to practice more so hopefully after easter i'll be able to do that as we're just doing the last bits of content now. It all seems too real !
Fairs, physical can be the bane of chemistry for some. Are there any particular topics/questions within physical chem that you struggle? I could do some past paper questions/doubts for you and post them.
Reply 6
hi guys! if u have any questions about physical chemistry let me know and i'll try my best to explain :smile:
what resources/sites/books etc are you all using to revise, make notes etc
what do people think will be A* and A grade boundaries this year??
Original post by nanami8
hi guys! if u have any questions about physical chemistry let me know and i'll try my best to explain :smile:

ARRHENUIS!!! :s-smilie: I hate the arrhenuis equation, I don't understand it and it feels like i never will at this point. It's really hard to find past paper questions just testing arrhenuis and even then i get an insanely wrong answer. If you can, pls can you explain this dire equation. I hate it to the core. I think the thing I did most was that I'd rearrange the equation, and get the wrong answer, so I would most likely have arranged it wrong.
Original post by dent0202
what resources/sites/books etc are you all using to revise, make notes etc

i use chemguide, pearson textbook, save my exams and CGP to make notes on notion. I make notes with CGP/save my exams, then read over the more detailed books and add any missing bits.
ARRHENUIS!!! :s-smilie: I hate the arrhenuis equation, I don't understand it and it feels like i never will at this point. It's really hard to find past paper questions just testing arrhenuis and even then i get an insanely wrong answer. If you can, pls can you explain this dire equation. I hate it to the core. I think the thing I did most was that I'd rearrange the equation, and get the wrong answer, so I would most likely have arranged it wrong.

the arrhenius equation shows how the rate constant changes when you change temperature

k = Ae ^ -Ea/RT

k= rate constant
Ea= activation energy
T = temperature
R = gas constant, 8.314
A = pre exponential factor

e^ -Ea/RT represents the fraction of collisions that have met or exceeded the activation energy

an easier form of the equation, which is likely the one you'll use in the exam, is :
lnk = lnA - Ea/RT

we can relate it to a graph in this way:
y= c + mx , where lnA is the y intercept, and -Ea/R is m, the gradient

in exams, a high mark question on this usually goes like this:
1. you are given a table of values to complete, eg. you have k and you need to calculate lnk or 1/T
2. plot the graph of lnk on the y axis, and 1/T on the x axis
3. now they'll probably ask you to calculate activation energy. In this case, all u need is the fact that the gradient of the graph u plotted is -Ea/R
if u find the gradient eg. if it's -6000, then -6000= -Ea/8.314 , so u can rearrange to then find Ea in Jmol-1, then divide if u need the answer in kJmol-1
4. if they ask u for lnA, that is the y intercept
5. if they ask u for A, A= e^lnA so just put e in ur calculator to the power of lnA

hope this helps! lmk if I made any mistakes as I am also in y13 :')
i use chemguide, pearson textbook, save my exams and CGP to make notes on notion. I make notes with CGP/save my exams, then read over the more detailed books and add any missing bits.

is save my exams any good? ive been thinking of it but you can't seem to get the mark schemes without paying for it, and because considering paying for a premium snap revise account I wasn't so sure which to choose
Original post by nanami8
the arrhenius equation shows how the rate constant changes when you change temperature

k = Ae ^ -Ea/RT

k= rate constant
Ea= activation energy
T = temperature
R = gas constant, 8.314
A = pre exponential factor

e^ -Ea/RT represents the fraction of collisions that have met or exceeded the activation energy

an easier form of the equation, which is likely the one you'll use in the exam, is :
lnk = lnA - Ea/RT

we can relate it to a graph in this way:
y= c + mx , where lnA is the y intercept, and -Ea/R is m, the gradient

in exams, a high mark question on this usually goes like this:
1. you are given a table of values to complete, eg. you have k and you need to calculate lnk or 1/T
2. plot the graph of lnk on the y axis, and 1/T on the x axis
3. now they'll probably ask you to calculate activation energy. In this case, all u need is the fact that the gradient of the graph u plotted is -Ea/R
if u find the gradient eg. if it's -6000, then -6000= -Ea/8.314 , so u can rearrange to then find Ea in Jmol-1, then divide if u need the answer in kJmol-1
4. if they ask u for lnA, that is the y intercept
5. if they ask u for A, A= e^lnA so just put e in ur calculator to the power of lnA

hope this helps! lmk if I made any mistakes as I am also in y13 :')

wow this was really helpful !! :smile:
is save my exams any good? ive been thinking of it but you can't seem to get the mark schemes without paying for it, and because considering paying for a premium snap revise account I wasn't so sure which to choose

lots of questions of sme are the same as pmt ones so use pmt
Reply 15

I thought savemyexams had the same questions as pmt (which has mark schemes)? correct me if I'm wrong though
It's all about application, that's why it's so hard :frown:
Original post by Mythical Pingu

OCR A Level Chemistry Periodic table elements and physical chemistry H432/01 - 13 Jun 2022

-Exam Chat Thread-

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... This is the place to be

Feel free to chat about your exam, add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others

This thread covers the following papers:

H432/01 Paper 1 2h15 13 June 2022 am

Resources

Official Specification

Advance Information

I think it’ll peobs be like 80% for an A and 85% for an A* :frown: idk why the ocr grade boundaries r so hard
it won’t be 80% for an A 😭 they’ve said grade boundaries will be lower than 2019
Original post by aliaa03
it won’t be 80% for an A 😭 they’ve said grade boundaries will be lower than 2019

I hope so. When marking my papers i've been using the 2018 boundaries as they're high, just so I can be prepared. I hate this :frown: I can't wait to not have to worry about it anymore though. The day I finish my a-levels will be like such a massive weight coming off of my shoulders, I'd probably float away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending