The Student Room Group

Close friends/work colleagues and Drink Driving - would you report it?

Poll

Would you report a close friend who was driving over the limit to the Police?

On Friday, I was put in the awkward situation where a work colleague that I have a lot of respect for as a friend too, had four large glasses of wine (in about 3 hours) at the pub with us after work and then indicated that she was going to drive home. Everyone else seemed reticent to say anything about it, so I felt that I had to make an intervention by suggesting that she stayed locally with one of my colleagues for the night, as she'd be over the limit. Initially she refused, but someone else finally backed me up and she took up the offer.

Had she driven, though - that would have put us all in a very awkward position and she'd have been very stupid. It surprised me how unwilling people were to "do the right thing" here and I was curious as to whether other people would have felt the same.

Generalising now, in this situation, do we as good citizens have a moral obligation to take the relationship out of the equation and to tip off the Police when people who are over the limit get behind the wheel? Knowing the effect of her getting caught drink driving would be the end of her career and would have a massive impact on her life, is it fair to expect others to make the call here? Conversely, taking the other approach and letting her drive could potentially result in disaster. Can you really take emotion out of the equation in a situation like this? What would you do in this situation?

Looking at the wider picture, do you think that enough is done to dissuade and educate potential drink drivers - particularly for young people?
If it's someone I know, I would feel morally obliged to intervene and keep them from making a regrettable decision.
Reply 2
I'd try to make some other intervention and failing that then maybe I'd have to call the police, only because I care about them.
Reply 3
id call the police if they kept repeatedly doing it if they did it once i might gov the benifit of the doubt , i think if they put their and others lives at danger then u need to call the police , they know drink driving has the potential to kill people but do it any way its like accidental murder exept they knew there was a chance it would happen beforehand and did it anyway
t
I've taken keys off a friend before and I would again. It isn't just themselves they are putting at risk it is other people and I would remind them of that fact!

I think for me, it would become awkward if I didn't really know the person that well, I would still say something but in the case of a mutual friend or acquaintance I don't know if I could directly or physically intervene.
Reply 5
Original post by Mad Vlad
I had to make an intervention by suggesting that she stayed locally with one of my colleagues for the night, as she'd be over the limit. Initially she refused, but someone else finally backed me up and she took up the offer.

Did she stay with a guy? :sexface:

Personally I don't involve myself in the affairs of others when it comes to drinking and driving as to do so would be highly hypocritical.
Reply 6
I can certainly take emotion out of it. I might call the police, but I would probably just not give a toss. Certainly wouldn't try to intervene.
It really depends on the situation.

If someone was repeatedly doing it then I'd have to consider grassing them up.
I would definitely at least intervene and try to take their keys off them, drink driving is ridiculously serious. It's not just the driver at risk of injury it's absolutely anyone their car crosses paths with. I'd rather sleep sound knowing they got home safe than find out a couple of days down the line that they may have hit someone with their car.
Reply 9
im not being responsible for sending my friend to jail, ever. id take his keys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending