The Student Room Group

Node or Antinode question

Hi,

My teacher told me something that confused me a little. She said using the microwave experiment (microwave generator in front of a metal surface which creates standing waves due to reflection of the wave back into its initial path) the signal is STRONGER at the node of the stationary wave.

This has troubled me for sometime now as I thought the node is the point where the vertical displacement of the wave is 0 :frown:

I thought the ANTINODE would have a stronger signal.

Can anyone clear this up for me and explain why?

If it's the antinode then that's fine as I was thinking it was the antinode anyway, as the displacement varies by a maximum.

Thanks guys, thumbs up to the one that can answer!
I have to agree with you there, as antinodes have a maximum displacement so they're going to have a stronger signal than at a node. It seems like your teacher was wrong, but you just picked up on it and beat the teacher. Thumbs up to you :yy: :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by brocklehurst95
I have to agree with you there, as antinodes have a maximum displacement so they're going to have a stronger signal than at a node. It seems like your teacher was wrong, but you just picked up on it and beat the teacher. Thumbs up to you :yy: :biggrin:

Thank you very much for clearing this up, it's been troubling me. +rep

Quick Reply

Latest