The Student Room Group

Should I be worried about lump on neck?

I have noticed a lump on my neck, mostly visible when I turn my head to the left. It doesn’t hurt, but it is quite hard.

It feels like someone is putting pressure on my neck, and it is difficult to swallow sometimes.

I’m not sure if this is linked but I have been feeling tired all the time and it has been difficult walking upstairs/I get out of breath super easily.

Should I be worried? I am 20 years old and generally fit/healthy.
You shouldn't be worried just yet but what you should do immediately is make an appointment with your GP to get it seen and possibly biopsied.
Reply 2

Here is a picture of the lump.. I’m really nervous about it but worried that I’ll be wasting the doctor’s time if it is nothing
Reply 3
https://ibb.co/VqZmpML

This is a picture of the lump.. I’m not sure how to attach it
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
You shouldn't be worried just yet but what you should do immediately is make an appointment with your GP to get it seen and possibly biopsied.

Thank you, I will try. I am just really worried abo it wasting their time if it is nothing
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, I will try. I am just really worried abo it wasting their time if it is nothing

But you can't know it's nothing until you go. The GP is there to assess any health concerns people have, so it's not time wasting. It's better to be safe than sorry, not choosing to ''waste their time'' will be of little comfort to you if you leave it for years and it turns out to be something serious that could have been sorted sooner. Hopefully it is nothing though, good luck!
It can be extremely dangerous and calling your GP right away would be the best course of action.
I'm sure GPs up and down the country would prefer you to come to them with something that turns out to be nothing.

A lump on the neck is definitely not wasting a GP's time... If it's nothing to worry about, then any doctor worth their salt would be glad to reassure you.

I dunno how old you are, but had a similar thing when I was about 19 or 20. A big lump appeared on the side of my neck, just an inch or so below my right ear. I completely freaked out... It turned out to be a swollen lymph node, caused by an impacted wisdom tooth. It was only when I was told that's what it could be I remembered that a few days before the lump appeared I'd been awake all night with horrendous toothache. Basically the impacted tooth had pushed open part of the gum, bacteria had got inside and caused an infection. The lymph node swelled up in response.
Reply 8
Hey, definitely do go an check it out! Don't panic, as there's a whole bunch of (harmless) things that could cause it.

I had this myself just behind my jaw, and it was a swollen lymph node triggered by acne.

Quick Reply

Latest