The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FloRo
Just out of curiosity- how old is everyone applying go GEM?

Thanks ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 20 now, I'll be 20/21 when I apply depending on when I send the form!
Reply 381
Original post by pinkcherrytart
Well, that's rubbish! We should have been told by now since we are applying this year. Though, are there many changes expected?

The pessimist in me is terrified that they'll change it so only rich kids can afford to go. I've already taken two years out to work and it'll be 4 by the time I'm hoping to start. Any more money and I couldn't justify it. Plan B is becoming a genetic counsellor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
Original post by OneDayDoctor
I'm 20 now, I'll be 20/21 when I apply depending on when I send the form!

Thanks for your reply, and to the other poster who I can't seem to quote, I don't know why but I just assumed there'd be more older people like 25+. It's really interesting to know.
I'm 19, I'll be 20 when I send the form :smile:

I'm actually making grounds on getting some more experience :biggrin: Hard when you're competing with school kids but I've finally got someone to see if a doctor is willing to let me shadow them after 20 phone calls.
Likewise 19 now, 20 when we apply :smile:

That's great SpringNicht! :biggrin: What kind of work experience will it be?

I think I got lucky with one place I applied to, I just sent an email and they offered me dates and it was sorted. However to get that one place I probably applied to 10 more. What's annoying is a couple of places replied favourably, I replied with the details they asked for, and then I never heard anything back. Oh well, I guess they are busy.

I can't wait for the summer, it'll be lovely to have a few months just to forget about my degree and just focus on preparing the application! :smile:
Original post by FloRo

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 21 now but I'll still be 21 when I apply, 22 when I start provided I get a place first time round
Original post by emmaaa88
Likewise 19 now, 20 when we apply :smile:

That's great SpringNicht! :biggrin: What kind of work experience will it be?

I think I got lucky with one place I applied to, I just sent an email and they offered me dates and it was sorted. However to get that one place I probably applied to 10 more. What's annoying is a couple of places replied favourably, I replied with the details they asked for, and then I never heard anything back. Oh well, I guess they are busy.

I can't wait for the summer, it'll be lovely to have a few months just to forget about my degree and just focus on preparing the application! :smile:

It's a walk in centre, so lots of patients coming through the doors and it should be quite interesting :biggrin: I also have to call back a care home tomorrow that works mainly with people suffering from alzhemiers. My personal tutor is getting in touch with some of her contacts at the hospital too to see if I can see a bit of oncology or immunology shadowing since my degree is Cancer Biology and Immunology and I really do enjoy it.

Also applied for a job as a domestic assistant on a Children's ward, I'd be doing tray service. It's in a hospital so it counts right? (Plus £11 an hour on weekends? YES PLEASE)

Oh, I can't wait for summer either! I'm going to turkey for two weeks (won't be able to do that much as a doctor!) and then I'm hoping to be able to do some work in Liverpool's Womens Hospital since my mum is friends with someone who works in HR there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 387
Original post by FloRo
Thanks for your reply, and to the other poster who I can't seem to quote, I don't know why but I just assumed there'd be more older people like 25+. It's really interesting to know.

Looks like im the oldest on this thread. I will be 31 when I apply this year...
Reply 388
Original post by nug
Looks like im the oldest on this thread. I will be 31 when I apply this year...

That is so inspirational. It just makes us younger applicants (well me anyway) never give up. I've been thinking what will happen if god forbid I don't get in the first, second or third time? Do I just give up? Your comment has made me think no! Never give up :smile: hope it works out for you :smile:
Reply 389
I'll be 26 when I apply and hopefully 27 when I start. I think there's a fair few of us who haven't just finished uni. Although I think most of the people currently using TSR may be current or more recent students. I've seen lots more older applicants on other forums.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M150
I'll be 26 when I apply and hopefully 27 when I start. I think there's a fair few of us who haven't just finished uni. Although I think most of the people currently using TSR may be current or more recent students. I've seen lots more older applicants on other forums.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be 28 when I start in September...
I'll be 25 if I get in this September

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 392
Original post by OneDayDoctor
x

Here you go, these are the books that I've read so far that relate to medicine. (Apart from touch & go and holes and the pharmacology text book haha)

photo.jpg

Actually this can be useful to everyone here so I'll give a really really brief synopsis

The spark of life - Frances Ashcroft
This was written by a scientist, Frances Ashcroft and I found it to be extremely useful. She covers the importance of the electricity in the human body. She does so in a really unique way, so that it's not just for us medic applicants to read, but it allows anyone without a scientific background to read, understand and appreciate it. I would highly recommend.

Trust me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor - Max Pemberton
I haven't really ever seen scrubs, but a lot of people say that the book is really similar to it. It was reaaaalllyyyy very interesting to read, and it's basically a day to day account of a junior doctor, what he had to face, his first experience of "death" his first mistakes, his relationships with other junior doctors and with the doctors that are above him. It was a really fun book to read and I highly highly recommend it. In fact, like I said to OneDayDoctor, it should be the first you read :biggrin:

Where does it hurt - Max Pemberton
So, same author as above, but this time he goes off to do a placement outside of the hospital, at CRI. So he dealt with drug addicts and prescribed them methadone to slowly ease the addiction of heroin, cocain etc. I found the first one better, but this book taught me a lot - especially about the more greyer areas of medicine.

The doctor will see you now - Max Pemberton
Same author again, this time he's finished his time as a junior doctor and is back at the hospital. Really not as good as the first two but definitely worth a read!

Sick notes - Dr Tony Copperfield
Dr Tony is a GP, and writes about his experiences at a surgery. How he has to deal with patients, the easy ones, the tricky ones and how some patients request certain drugs and are adamant that they ONLY need those. Gives you a greater insight on how it is to work as a GP.

Confessions of a GP - Dr Benjamin Daniels
As above, this book includes stories about some of the things you may have to deal with if/when you become a GP :smile:

In stitches - Dr Nick Edwards
I found this book to be really interesting and a brilliant read. Dr Nick Edwards is an A&E doctor. He speaks about the highs and the lows of working in a busy A&E. This book taught me so much, not only about working at the A&E and the patients that are dealt with there, but about how the government interferes with a lot of the day to day activities that the doctors carry out. (Though I should point out that most of the books explain to some extent how that happens too!)

Holiday SOS - Dr Ben MacFarlane
Honesty, this is the dream job. When I read this book, it really added to the depth of options that I have regarding which part of medicine I wish to go in to. Dr Ben is a doctor that works for an insurance company. So when someone that has health insurance falls ill, or gets injured.. Dr Ben flies out to the country, attends the patient, stays there for a day and enjoys the countries' beauty and is then flown back with the patient (Typically on a first class flight!) He travels all across the world and it just comes across as such an exciting job to do! Definitely worth a read :biggrin:

Direct Red - Gabriel Weston
This book is about a surgeons account of being a doctor. Again, if you're still exploring the various routes you want to take, this book gives a brilliant outlook on the physical and emotional demands of a surgeon.

Diagnosis - Lisa Saunders
This is the only book I haven't read yet. Sooo I cant really give an overview but on Amazon for example, its a 4.5/5 star rating :biggrin:

The man who mistook his wife for a hat - Oliver Sacks
This book isn't on my bookshelf because I've leant it out to a friend of mine but honestly it is absolutely fascinating!! Oliver Sacks is a neurologist. He speaks about some of the patients that he's treated in his long career. The conditions he speaks about are really rare, some of which I didn't even know existed! Even though I read this book a year ago, I will always remember the part where he speaks about a patient of his, where she could only move if she looked at the body part to do so. So for example, to walk, she had to look at her feet, to pick something up she had to look at her hands. It really sad, but it really is amazing and it will make you all love what the brain is capable of doing! I don't want to give much more away :P But definitely a must read for anyone that wants to go into neurology, or even if you just want a greater insight!

That's all that I've read thus far.. if anyone has any more books please do share them. I'm sure we'll all appreciate it :biggrin:

Oh on another note, I read a book called Before I go to sleep - S J Watson
It may be based on a true story, its also a crime thriller. It's about a woman who loses her memory every time she wakes up. It goes through how she tried to find who she is and what really happened to her, why she has this condition where she forgets. Should she trust her doctor or her husband? It's a really good book :biggrin:

And THAAAT will be all :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:
Hi everyone :smile:

I have been watching these threads most of last year and now this year so have decided to fully embrace it! From my experience - any advice is helpful as there seems to be a lot more to this whole process than i ever envisaged!! So i thought i would share my experience...

I am a Physiotherapist (4 yrs trained) undergoing the UKCAT with hope to study in London or as close to London as possible (QM/Kings/UCL/Imperial). I currently work at UCLH which is an amazing hospital...so possibly looking to take BMAT to consider UCL as one of my options.

Last year I went into the application process quite blind and very naively thinking being a physio with a reasonable knowledge base would get me somewhere. But sadly this was not the case. I flopped the UKCAT by not allowing enough time prior to improve my speed and ended up with an average of 600 (which is not worth the paper its written on!). As a result I only have Leicester left considering my application (QM/Warwick and Brighton all said no). I feel confident with another few months of study I will get a reasonable UKCAT score this time around with the motivation I really dont want to be going through this whole process 3 times!

I am going to be one of the oldies...31 now, 32 when applying and 33 when i could potentially start next September. Seems a crazy time to start studying medicine, but I know the Dr envy on the wards will not go away and with years of working ahead, it seems irrespective. If you have a dream, you must go for it!

Im not your textbook medical student with a 2:1 degree in Physiotherapy, access course grades (which do not count) and no A Levels. I am currently studying for an AS level in Chemistry which QM need for application.

Anyhow, if there is anyone out there in similar position, please reply - I love hearing peoples experiences with the application process and of course any tips for the future!!

Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 394
Original post by SHOO
That is so inspirational. It just makes us younger applicants (well me anyway) never give up. I've been thinking what will happen if god forbid I don't get in the first, second or third time? Do I just give up? Your comment has made me think no! Never give up :smile: hope it works out for you :smile:

I'm not quite sure I would call myself inspirational but thanks :smile: It really jut comes down to the fact I don't think I was ready to study medicine at 17/18yrs old but have always been interested. I did a MEng for my first degree and have been working for the past 7yrs. However although its really interesting work, it just doesn't tick all my boxes. And due to changes in personal circumstances, I have decided now is the right time to try and pursue career in medicine. I did apply for 2014 but knew my chances were low due to lack of GAMSAT prep and wok experience. So ]#fingers crossed for 2015! If I don't get in then, I am considering doing MSc in Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology - so I have another back up plan :smile:
Original post by M150
The pessimist in me is terrified that they'll change it so only rich kids can afford to go. I've already taken two years out to work and it'll be 4 by the time I'm hoping to start. Any more money and I couldn't justify it. Plan B is becoming a genetic counsellor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, I am guessing that it will stay the same...its a hunch that I have. Though I wish that they do include a maintenance grant, urgh this is all so depressing and long, I will have to start writing up my personal statement soon
Reply 396
Original post by ccampbell249
Hey everyone. I'm a final year student nurse, finishing in July (aiming for a 1st/2:1). My A-levels are AAA (english lit, music, r.e). My degree is 50% placement, so would I be right to assume this would count as adequate work experience? I have spent half of my degree working 40 hours per week in hospitals..
Has anyone any idea whether or not many nurses get into GEM?
Would it be wise to sit A-level chemistry starting this September to increase my chances of getting in?
I hope to apply to Kings, Barts, possibly St Georges and one outside of London.
Anyone got any advice?

Yeah, your nursing experience should be more than enough work experience. I'm assuming you'll be working as a nurse next year, so try and get friendly with some of the doctors so you can shadow etc.

Can't give you figures on nurses and GEM, but I do know of medical students who did nursing first.

I would only do A level chemistry if the universities you're applying to specifically ask for it, some don't care for A levels - so it could be a waste of time. Also, some universities who ask for A level chemistry can be quite lenient if you've done a fair bit of chemistry in your first degree (always email and ask though)

Good luck.
Reply 397
Original post by SHOO
Here you go, these are the books that I've read so far that relate to medicine. (Apart from touch & go and holes and the pharmacology text book haha)

photo.jpg

Actually this can be useful to everyone here so I'll give a really really brief synopsis

The spark of life - Frances Ashcroft
This was written by a scientist, Frances Ashcroft and I found it to be extremely useful. She covers the importance of the electricity in the human body. She does so in a really unique way, so that it's not just for us medic applicants to read, but it allows anyone without a scientific background to read, understand and appreciate it. I would highly recommend.

Trust me, I'm a (Junior) Doctor - Max Pemberton
I haven't really ever seen scrubs, but a lot of people say that the book is really similar to it. It was reaaaalllyyyy very interesting to read, and it's basically a day to day account of a junior doctor, what he had to face, his first experience of "death" his first mistakes, his relationships with other junior doctors and with the doctors that are above him. It was a really fun book to read and I highly highly recommend it. In fact, like I said to OneDayDoctor, it should be the first you read :biggrin:

Where does it hurt - Max Pemberton
So, same author as above, but this time he goes off to do a placement outside of the hospital, at CRI. So he dealt with drug addicts and prescribed them methadone to slowly ease the addiction of heroin, cocain etc. I found the first one better, but this book taught me a lot - especially about the more greyer areas of medicine.

The doctor will see you now - Max Pemberton
Same author again, this time he's finished his time as a junior doctor and is back at the hospital. Really not as good as the first two but definitely worth a read!

Sick notes - Dr Tony Copperfield
Dr Tony is a GP, and writes about his experiences at a surgery. How he has to deal with patients, the easy ones, the tricky ones and how some patients request certain drugs and are adamant that they ONLY need those. Gives you a greater insight on how it is to work as a GP.

Confessions of a GP - Dr Benjamin Daniels
As above, this book includes stories about some of the things you may have to deal with if/when you become a GP :smile:

In stitches - Dr Nick Edwards
I found this book to be really interesting and a brilliant read. Dr Nick Edwards is an A&E doctor. He speaks about the highs and the lows of working in a busy A&E. This book taught me so much, not only about working at the A&E and the patients that are dealt with there, but about how the government interferes with a lot of the day to day activities that the doctors carry out. (Though I should point out that most of the books explain to some extent how that happens too!)

Holiday SOS - Dr Ben MacFarlane
Honesty, this is the dream job. When I read this book, it really added to the depth of options that I have regarding which part of medicine I wish to go in to. Dr Ben is a doctor that works for an insurance company. So when someone that has health insurance falls ill, or gets injured.. Dr Ben flies out to the country, attends the patient, stays there for a day and enjoys the countries' beauty and is then flown back with the patient (Typically on a first class flight!) He travels all across the world and it just comes across as such an exciting job to do! Definitely worth a read :biggrin:

Direct Red - Gabriel Weston
This book is about a surgeons account of being a doctor. Again, if you're still exploring the various routes you want to take, this book gives a brilliant outlook on the physical and emotional demands of a surgeon.

Diagnosis - Lisa Saunders
This is the only book I haven't read yet. Sooo I cant really give an overview but on Amazon for example, its a 4.5/5 star rating :biggrin:

The man who mistook his wife for a hat - Oliver Sacks
This book isn't on my bookshelf because I've leant it out to a friend of mine but honestly it is absolutely fascinating!! Oliver Sacks is a neurologist. He speaks about some of the patients that he's treated in his long career. The conditions he speaks about are really rare, some of which I didn't even know existed! Even though I read this book a year ago, I will always remember the part where he speaks about a patient of his, where she could only move if she looked at the body part to do so. So for example, to walk, she had to look at her feet, to pick something up she had to look at her hands. It really sad, but it really is amazing and it will make you all love what the brain is capable of doing! I don't want to give much more away :P But definitely a must read for anyone that wants to go into neurology, or even if you just want a greater insight!

That's all that I've read thus far.. if anyone has any more books please do share them. I'm sure we'll all appreciate it :biggrin:

Oh on another note, I read a book called Before I go to sleep - S J Watson
It may be based on a true story, its also a crime thriller. It's about a woman who loses her memory every time she wakes up. It goes through how she tried to find who she is and what really happened to her, why she has this condition where she forgets. Should she trust her doctor or her husband? It's a really good book :biggrin:

And THAAAT will be all :smile:

Hope this helps :smile:

Amazing list! They sound so interesting and I can't wait to have a read. Thanks for all the info.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 398
Original post by Physio_Convert
Hi everyone :smile:

I have been watching these threads most of last year and now this year so have decided to fully embrace it! From my experience - any advice is helpful as there seems to be a lot more to this whole process than i ever envisaged!! So i thought i would share my experience...

I am a Physiotherapist (4 yrs trained) undergoing the UKCAT with hope to study in London or as close to London as possible (QM/Kings/UCL/Imperial). I currently work at UCLH which is an amazing hospital...so possibly looking to take BMAT to consider UCL as one of my options.

Last year I went into the application process quite blind and very naively thinking being a physio with a reasonable knowledge base would get me somewhere. But sadly this was not the case. I flopped the UKCAT by not allowing enough time prior to improve my speed and ended up with an average of 600 (which is not worth the paper its written on!). As a result I only have Leicester left considering my application (QM/Warwick and Brighton all said no). I feel confident with another few months of study I will get a reasonable UKCAT score this time around with the motivation I really dont want to be going through this whole process 3 times!

I am going to be one of the oldies...31 now, 32 when applying and 33 when i could potentially start next September. Seems a crazy time to start studying medicine, but I know the Dr envy on the wards will not go away and with years of working ahead, it seems irrespective. If you have a dream, you must go for it!

Im not your textbook medical student with a 2:1 degree in Physiotherapy, access course grades (which do not count) and no A Levels. I am currently studying for an AS level in Chemistry which QM need for application.

Anyhow, if there is anyone out there in similar position, please reply - I love hearing peoples experiences with the application process and of course any tips for the future!!

Good luck everyone :smile:

I think this is an amazing story, an inspiration to those that aren't traditional students.

Best of luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FloRo

Thanks ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be 22 when I apply, and 23 when I start (provided I get in... which looks like it will be quite a challenge..)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending