The Student Room Group

Urgent Help!! MEDICINE AND GCSEs

I want to know if universities allow you to retake eng lang. Basically I am currently in year 12 and I am planning to apply to medicine. I am taking Chemistry, biology, maths,physics and epq as my A-level and i expect to get A* in all my alevels. Basically the problem I am facing is that I got grade 4 in my english language and grade 5 in english literature in my gcses. Also I did get only grade 5 in gcse chemistry but my school allowed me to take a level chemistry because I did have grade 6s for both bio and phy but as I said before I am expected to get A* in Alevel chemistry, so would my gcse chemistry be an issue eventhough i have A* in Alevels . So can anyone also tell me what universities I should avoid/cant apply to and what universities would be best to apply to and also should I do resists for english language and chemistry?
(edited 3 months ago)
It would be worth your time to retake eng lang as there are very few unis that will accept a 4 unfortunately. And a 5 in english lang will help you in a range of jobs and careers moving forwards.

The chem is a harder one for me to answer. I am not sure that retakes will be accepted for anything other than Eng Lang (and poss Maths).

@GANFYD if you are looking in, do you have any thoughts ?
Reply 2
Original post by circusqueen
It would be worth your time to retake eng lang as there are very few unis that will accept a 4 unfortunately. And a 5 in english lang will help you in a range of jobs and careers moving forwards.

The chem is a harder one for me to answer. I am not sure that retakes will be accepted for anything other than Eng Lang (and poss Maths).

@GANFYD if you are looking in, do you have any thoughts ?

Some med schools accept retakes (without ExCircs) and some do not, so like everything else, there is no easy answer!
Definitely worth OP resitting Eng Lang, but there will still be a few places that will not accept this. Chem is harder to call, as few people getting A+ at A level will have <6 at GCSE. Again, some places would be OK with the A level alone, some will score the GCSE, so that grade would put them at a disadvantage.
Personally, I would have thought if on track for an A* at A level, then a 6 or better at GCSE resit should not be a tough thing, and I would probably resit both, keeping most options open. However, if it will affect A level grades, then just the Eng Lang resit and write round to ensure who would be OK with a 5 in chem GCSE and an A star at A level.

In terms of specific unis (and not all-inclusive) - Leicester allow English and maths, nil else, and look like they will only score first sitting, even if resat, so essentially, only useful to meet minimum requirements.
QUB only allow resits if the GCSE was originally taken early
Nottingham (and Lincoln), Edinburgh, and Birmingham do not accept GCSE resits. It looks like Aberdeen do not.
Bristol allow 1 resit of any exam at GCSE.
Sheffield allow single resit per GCSE and all resits should be taken in the same sitting)
Cardiff and Aston are OK if done within a year of originals.
Keele will accept but not if applying with pending grades (must be completed).
Imperial, UCL, SGUL, Sheffield, Manchester, HYMS, Edge Hill, UEA, ARU, St Andrews OK with resits.
(edited 2 months ago)
Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by circusqueen
Thank you!

PRSOM
No problem 😊
Original post by Jacky1234567
I want to know if universities allow you to retake eng lang. Basically I am currently in year 12 and I am planning to apply to medicine. I am taking Chemistry, biology, maths,physics and epq as my A-level and i expect to get A* in all my alevels. Basically the problem I am facing is that I got grade 4 in my english language and grade 5 in english literature in my gcses. Also I did get only grade 5 in gcse chemistry but my school allowed me to take a level chemistry because I did have grade 6s for both bio and phy but as I said before I am expected to get A* in Alevel chemistry, so would my gcse chemistry be an issue eventhough i have A* in Alevels . So can anyone also tell me what universities I should avoid/cant apply to and what universities would be best to apply to and also should I do resists for english language and chemistry?

The universities could clearly see that your grades and work ethic have significantly improved- a 5 at chemistry gcse wont matter if you get an A* at A-level. Just do some research on universities that aren't very GCSE heavy, and smash your UCAT.
Hey there! So, some med schools do care a lot about GCSEs, especially English and the sciences. With a grade 4 in English Language, you might run into some issues since a lot of places want at least a 6. Your predicted A* in your A-levels is awesome and can definitely help show you’ve improved a lot.

It could be worth retaking English Language to beef up your application. For your GCSE in Chemistry, if you nail that A* at A-level, it’ll show you really know your stuff, which could help make up for the lower GCSE grade.
Definitely look into each med school's requirements you're interested in and maybe steer clear of the ones with super strict GCSE requirements unless you redo those exams. Good luck!
Original post by jamesharris2005
Hey there! So, some med schools do care a lot about GCSEs, especially English and the sciences. With a grade 4 in English Language, you might run into some issues since a lot of places want at least a 6. Your predicted A* in your A-levels is awesome and can definitely help show you’ve improved a lot.
It could be worth retaking English Language to beef up your application. For your GCSE in Chemistry, if you nail that A* at A-level, it’ll show you really know your stuff, which could help make up for the lower GCSE grade.
Definitely look into each med school's requirements you're interested in and maybe steer clear of the ones with super strict GCSE requirements unless you redo those exams. Good luck!

yes agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending