The Student Room Group

Unsure on medicinary/dentistry or computing science field

I'm an S5 SQA student, with 5 Highers (Biology, Chemistry, Computing Science, Mathematics, English), aiming for 5 A's this year, and plan on going to university in S6. I'm much less concerned about achieving aspired grades, but more so deciding on my career pathway, and I'd like to know if anyone else has been in this situation before and what they've done to overcome the dilemma.

I really enjoy programming in my Computing Science class, and it feels like it's a lifestyle that would suit me; to be able to work on a laptop/pc from home/some nice environment, however I have personally went through a lot of heavy medical things, so I also find myself enjoying (most of) Biology this year, and Chemistry, thinking becoming a Doctor of some sorts would be great as well.

I understand that it's a vast difference between the 2 careers, with doctors/medicinary being more stressful for example, perhaps including salaries too, but I'm heavily hesitant on deciding which one is better for me, it 'feels' like I have 'no idea' what I want to pursue. Any input is appreciated :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by gabberb
I'm an S5 SQA student, with 5 Highers (Biology, Chemistry, Computing Science, Mathematics, English), aiming for 5 A's this year, and plan on going to university in S6. I'm much less concerned about achieving aspired grades, but more so deciding on my career pathway, and I'd like to know if anyone else has been in this situation before and what they've done to overcome the dilemma.

I really enjoy programming in my Computing Science class, and it feels like it's a lifestyle that would suit me; to be able to work on a laptop/pc from home/some nice environment, however I have personally went through a lot of heavy medical things, so I also find myself enjoying (most of) Biology this year, and Chemistry, thinking becoming a Doctor of some sorts would be great as well.

I understand that it's a vast difference between the 2 careers, with doctors/medicinary being more stressful for example, perhaps including salaries too, but I'm heavily hesitant on deciding which one is better for me, it 'feels' like I have 'no idea' what I want to pursue. Any input is appreciated :smile:
Bro make a choice now, for med there alot of extra things you need to do. Keep in mind. Comp science jobs have not had good security as of recent . So if you’re doing this you have to go to a top uni. Either way both careers can be amazing but they have very different lifestyles. Doctors can earn up to 100k here in uk after 8 years on the job roughly. Comp sci shorter degree and probably can reach that aswell in a shorter span. Lots more free time etc. doctors can move to USA and make up to 500k tho. This requires exams. Medicine degrees are also very competitive and have a 16% chance of getting + you have to do the ucat in your year 12 summer. Your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending