The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zorg
RSM organised an evening of talks as an insight in to graduate entry medicine. Quite well done, very lavishly laid out.

I believe he was referring to a letter published on the BMA site which stated it would be extended to 2015. I'm not sure how much to trust this. I'm not opening the champpers until I hear it from the DoH/SFE.

The talks were good. I thought the finance speaker could have been better selected, though he did a grand job it's just a shame it wasn't someone we could relate to as he was a five year graduate entrant on the old fees system.

Would have been nice if they could have brought in some grads on the 5 year course who pay fees on the current system, though I think the lack of them speaks volumes itself.

EDIT: See here for some interesting views on the GEM courses going foward which I took away from the evening.

Hi there,

I'm a grad currently paying fees on a 5 year course if you want to ask me any questions. There are a few of us at my university.

I think my uni is a bit of a special case as they seem to give more financial support than other universities at the moment!

Planning on making a youtube video on the finance of things at some point as I get many questions about it. I'm not entirely sure how everything will pan out for me a I'm I'm just finishing my first year but I hope it will work out.

Best wishes,
Reply 581
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Hey :smile:

Anyone else applying for GEM 2015?

I think I just decided today, that I will. I have just finished studying Physics AS syllabus (took 3 months - alongside a full time job). So I've got tons more to catch up on (Chemistry and Biology - AS and A2 at least, and A2 Physics), in the next 22 weeks..... feels a bit impossible..... I'm daunted!!!
Reply 582
Original post by msha
I think I just decided today, that I will. I have just finished studying Physics AS syllabus (took 3 months - alongside a full time job). So I've got tons more to catch up on (Chemistry and Biology - AS and A2 at least, and A2 Physics), in the next 22 weeks..... feels a bit impossible..... I'm daunted!!!

Eek physics, chemistry and biology A Levels as a grad, either you're a masochist, or wanting to apply to Cambridge?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Done a looooong day of shadowing, been on my feet all day, had to see horrible news being delivered, got my lunch at 4pm after being out on wards from 8am...but I loved it :biggrin:
Reply 584
Original post by D0lly
Eek physics, chemistry and biology A Levels as a grad, either you're a masochist, or wanting to apply to Cambridge?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I could apply to Cambridge - but they need an honours degree, which I don't have so that's that!
I will have to study all those subjects simply because the GAMSAT needs knowledge of all that.
Reply 585
Hi guys,

I'm going to be sitting the GAMSAT in September and am beginning revision properly now.

Is anyone using the Letts "in a week" books? If so, are you using the 2000 edition or the 2006? I have seen the 2000 edition recommended in the Griffiths GAMSAT review but wasn't sure if the more recent version will be any better/more useful?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 586
Hi guys,

I am considering of applying to medical school graduate entry once I have achieved a 2:1 in health studies. Im currently volunteering at QE hospital as a hospital referall assistant, local opticians, day centre, residential home and student volunteer at my uni.
However, the question is, do you think applying to med school at the age of 25-26 will be too late. Is there anyone in their mid-late 20s applying. ALSO, because I still have 2 years left to complete my degree, does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do during the 2 years which will benefit me when applying for GEM?

Thanks guys, and I wish everyone good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 587
Original post by Ekra123
Hi guys,

I am considering of applying to medical school graduate entry once I have achieved a 2:1 in health studies. Im currently volunteering at QE hospital as a hospital referall assistant, local opticians, day centre, residential home and student volunteer at my uni.
However, the question is, do you think applying to med school at the age of 25-26 will be too late. Is there anyone in their mid-late 20s applying. ALSO, because I still have 2 years left to complete my degree, does anyone have any recommendations on what I could do during the 2 years which will benefit me when applying for GEM?

Thanks guys, and I wish everyone good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope that's pretty much the average age of a GEM applicant most people on my offer day were 24-35ish. If you have the time to, drop any of the shadowing/ observer based volunteering roles and join St Johns Ambulance or become a first responder with you local ambulance service. Schools are far more interested in hands on experience and since you have two years, this would definitely be something you could do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
Original post by msha
I wish I could apply to Cambridge - but they need an honours degree, which I don't have so that's that!
I will have to study all those subjects simply because the GAMSAT needs knowledge of all that.

Oh good! I thought you were taking all three A Level exams - no one needs that kind of added pressure! Best of luck with the GAMSAT :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sjb93
Hi guys,

I'm going to be sitting the GAMSAT in September and am beginning revision properly now.

Is anyone using the Letts "in a week" books? If so, are you using the 2000 edition or the 2006? I have seen the 2000 edition recommended in the Griffiths GAMSAT review but wasn't sure if the more recent version will be any better/more useful?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Sorry I can't answer your question as I haven't even started revision yet but I just wanted to ask how good would you say the Letts books are? I have been desperately searching for good books for the GAMSAT. I know Griffiths is well recommended but just as an overview. There is another book called "Golds Standard" which is supposed to contain everything but I've heard mixed reviews so I'm a bit wary of spending £100 on it.
Reply 590
hey guys im looking to do grad entry medicine as well predicted a 2.2/2.1 all depends on my dissertation tbh i had a stinker of a second year too much booze ha ha. my question is whats the best way to prepare for the gamsat and can some kind person give me a list of books and links to get, and do you think being a first aider at my job would help boost my application and also is the gamsat only available in September because i had plan on going traveling from august.
Reply 591
Original post by alfanso
hey guys im looking to do grad entry medicine as well predicted a 2.2/2.1 all depends on my dissertation tbh i had a stinker of a second year too much booze ha ha. my question is whats the best way to prepare for the gamsat and can some kind person give me a list of books and links to get, and do you think being a first aider at my job would help boost my application and also is the gamsat only available in September because i had plan on going traveling from august.

Griffiths Gamsat Review.

Next option to sit GAMSAT for applications to 2015 entry is Sept. 2014. Otherwise sit GAMSAT Ireland in March, either by going to Ireland or paying the extra to have the privilege of sitting it in London. The latter option would only be valid for applications to 2016 entry.
Reply 592
Original post by FATchristopher
Sorry I can't answer your question as I haven't even started revision yet but I just wanted to ask how good would you say the Letts books are? I have been desperately searching for good books for the GAMSAT. I know Griffiths is well recommended but just as an overview. There is another book called "Golds Standard" which is supposed to contain everything but I've heard mixed reviews so I'm a bit wary of spending £100 on it.

I haven't actually bought any of them yet but from what I've read in the Griffiths Review and here on TSR they are quite good for core topics as they're not biased towards one particular exam board.

Yeah I considered the Gold standard but in the end I went for the cheaper option. With the Griffiths Review, you also have to factor in buying the revision guides it recommends too but it doesn't go anywhere near to the £100 that Gold Standard costs (The recommended Lett's books go for about £2.80 each on amazon).

I think that Griffiths is great for tips/hints and it also provides a list of all of the topics that could come up and highlights 'GAMSAT favourites' which are topics that have come up a lot in the past for section 3. It also has plenty of practice questions which I think will be useful.

I haven't actually taken the test yet so I don't know how successful this approach will be so I would suggest talking to people who have already taken the test using either Griffiths or Gold standard to see how they found the approaches? If you trawl through the 2014 entry thread there is usually some useful info and opinions there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Thanks. I am a hospital referall volunteer for the severly sighted at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham. Do you think I should continue with this role and would it be relevant. I have also filled out an application for St. Johns ambulance (thanks for the recommendation!). Also, thing is, as I am studying Health Studies, I am worried that this degree will not be relevant as it is not medical and is rather more social sciences and holistic health based. I am currently realllly confused on wether I should finish me degree or go to college and enrol on a access science course instead.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sjb93
I haven't actually bought any of them yet but from what I've read in the Griffiths Review and here on TSR they are quite good for core topics as they're not biased towards one particular exam board.

Yeah I considered the Gold standard but in the end I went for the cheaper option. With the Griffiths Review, you also have to factor in buying the revision guides it recommends too but it doesn't go anywhere near to the £100 that Gold Standard costs (The recommended Lett's books go for about £2.80 each on amazon).

I think that Griffiths is great for tips/hints and it also provides a list of all of the topics that could come up and highlights 'GAMSAT favourites' which are topics that have come up a lot in the past for section 3. It also has plenty of practice questions which I think will be useful.

I haven't actually taken the test yet so I don't know how successful this approach will be so I would suggest talking to people who have already taken the test using either Griffiths or Gold standard to see how they found the approaches? If you trawl through the 2014 entry thread there is usually some useful info and opinions there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think I'll definitely go with the Griffiths and with other text books. A few reviews of Golds say they don't go to enough detail with science section. Thanks for the Reply.
Reply 595
Original post by Ekra123
Thanks. I am a hospital referall volunteer for the severly sighted at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham. Do you think I should continue with this role and would it be relevant. I have also filled out an application for St. Johns ambulance (thanks for the recommendation!). Also, thing is, as I am studying Health Studies, I am worried that this degree will not be relevant as it is not medical and is rather more social sciences and holistic health based. I am currently realllly confused on wether I should finish me degree or go to college and enrol on a access science course instead.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be silly! My degree is business management and I had two interviews this year (only went to one) and an offer. Degree subject is really irrelevant to those universities who don't need a science degree. Regarding work experience the title of your role sounds great but ask yourself how much patient contact you have and whether you have to practice professionalism, care and empathy to great extent, or if it's more administrative. If not then move on to something more suitable. Perhaps a part-time HCA although these roles are rare and sought after! Or St johns ambulance, first responding, or even meal time caring and helping patients eat on geriatric wards, or hospices would be a good start. There are opportunities country wide with charities to work in caring settings, ageUK need volunteers to listen and talk to Alzheimer's patients about their life history, along with a plethora of other opportunities which are there for people who look in the right places. Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 596
Thanks for your advice! Good luck for your GEM!
Can you tell me about your process of application. Would be great! I need advicd so I can prepare myself.

Thanks once again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 597
Has anyone considered going abroad to study medicine like st Georges Nicosia, st George Grenada. If so what are peoples opinions on these courses. As i would love to study abroad and learn different techniques but i wouldn't want to hamper my development or opportunities to work in the UK after i graduate.
Reply 598
Hi, I got into grad medicine this year at Warwick, and I have LOADS of UKCAT/KAPLAN course UKCAT pack/interview preparation books if people are looking for prep material. I improved my UKCAT score from 640 to 775 through using it. If people are interested here is the link to the items on gumtree, and I have written a little review/synopsis as to which ones are good.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/medical-school-medicine-entry-ukcat-bmat-kaplan-classroom-course-isc-medical-preparation-books/1057152161

Just thought it would be worth putting on here as i'm obviously selling them much cheaper than you can get on amazon/ebay etc.

Cheers
Reply 599
Original post by bakes100
Hi, I got into grad medicine this year at Warwick, and I have LOADS of UKCAT/KAPLAN course UKCAT pack/interview preparation books if people are looking for prep material. I improved my UKCAT score from 640 to 775 through using it. If people are interested here is the link to the items on gumtree, and I have written a little review/synopsis as to which ones are good.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/medical-school-medicine-entry-ukcat-bmat-kaplan-classroom-course-isc-medical-preparation-books/1057152161

Just thought it would be worth putting on here as i'm obviously selling them much cheaper than you can get on amazon/ebay etc.

Cheers

What was the biggest difference in your practice when attempting it the second time? I've heard mixed reviews on the KAPLAN course. What difference did you feel it made to your prep?

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending