The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Went to the Kings open day today and loved it! Was anyone else there?!
Reply 781
Hi thank you so much for your advice:smile: really appreciate it:biggrin:

I have provisionally decided to apply to Cambridge 4yr, Birmingham 4yr, St Georges 4yr and Lancaster 5yr. Although these are my provisional choices I'm yet to take the varouse entrance exams and my results will determine where I apply, however some med schools dont require such examinations.

Original post by bakes100
You've got solid academics which will be fine for virtually all the grad courses, and you obviously have great work experience and patient contact through working as an EMT! As long as you get a good UKCAT score and personal statement you should be fine getting to the interview stage. Once you're at the interview I'm sure you have lots of experience to reflect upon. One or two of the grad med courses may not accept natural sciences and require a biological science (I'm thinking of Bristol but can't remember 100%). I wouldn't decide where you are going to apply until after the UKCAT/GAMSAT, always apply to your strengths. As you have a 2:1 you may be disadvantaged to apply to Birmingham as they state they prefer 1sts, but now accept high 2:1's. So my advice would be to get a great ukcat score and make your decisions from there! Newcastle and kings have a terrible applicant to offer ratio as they interview quite a few people to relatively few places, but if you get a really high ukcat score (775+) you've got a very high chance of an interview. Leicester may be a good choice for you (only accept grads with paid patient care jobs) and take multiple factors into account pre-interview or warwick (where I'll be going in September). Once at the interview stage the offer rate is higher at the latter 2 as well. Hope this helps and all the best with your application!
Reply 782
Original post by CharlottexBelle

Did they mention anything about the graduate programme?
Reply 783
Original post by CharlottexBelle

I was there. The uni seemed like any other uni in London.
I wasn't amazed, though I think this could be more due to the fact that I thought it was all a bit disorganised and lack any real substance. Talks were limited to 30mins and no questions at the end!! I would much rather have seen a separate GPEP talk rather than a 15 second mention in the Medicine talk.
I gained most from talking to students at the "hub." I managed to find a GPEP, who was very good. Even came prepared with a weeks timetable etc.

I will probably still apply there, I do like the course and it's a nice enough atmosphere. I just wasn't as impressed as I was at previous open days.
I want to study Pharmacy at university, as people have been saying that pharmacy is over saturated and people have struggled getting jobs. If this happens to me I might study graduate medicine, would this be a waste of 10 or so years in uni?, also my GCSE'S are 3A's 5B's and 2C's which are no way up to standard as undergrad students but I am interested in volunteering in japan working in a hospital. If I apply for pharmacy next year and decide to take a gap year, when I come back could I reject all the offers and apply for medicine? As my work experience will look very good on my application

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really liked George's today, was anyone else there?

Was pretty blown away by a guy who's currently on the GEP course, who was from an arts background, the last science he'd done before GAMSAT was GCSE (double award, and got Bs), and then prepared for GAMSAT in 6 weeks. Got 62 and got into George's...although then went on to fail the science part of first year and has had to resit the whole year...
Reply 786
Original post by Rhyss01
I want to study Pharmacy at university, as people have been saying that pharmacy is over saturated and people have struggled getting jobs. If this happens to me I might study graduate medicine, would this be a waste of 10 or so years in uni?, also my GCSE'S are 3A's 5B's and 2C's which are no way up to standard as undergrad students but I am interested in volunteering in japan working in a hospital. If I apply for pharmacy next year and decide to take a gap year, when I come back could I reject all the offers and apply for medicine? As my work experience will look very good on my application

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I have quite a bit of insight in pharmacies.

Firstly, you can't get a licence to open your own Pharmacy, they just recently siezed that loophole. The only way you can is if there is a need (if for example, a new town is being constructed etc)
You can only purchase a pharmacy, and they're going for at least £500,000 to a million.
Working as a locum is becoming increasingly hard because there are a lot of pharmacists around at the moment. The "pharmacist" magazine state that by 2020ish, there will be an excess of 20,000 pharmacists - without jobs. As well as there being limited number of jobs, they will be with a lower pay. A lot of pharmacists are coming over from abroad, and are a lot cheaper to hire so independent pharmacies prefer to take them on for obvious reasons.
So the pharmacy career is looking really tough, and I'm sorry because you've probably been looking forward to it :frown:
This of course does not mean you shouldn't go for it, if you want to by all means do. It'll just be difficult!

Now for med, if your A level grades meet the entry requirements, and you do well in your UKCAT and have sufficient work experience, you can apply for medicine at undergraduate level. Your GCSE's will play a part if you apply at Oxbridge, or UCL as I understand it so for the rest you'll be fine :smile:

If you do pharmacy however, and then do medicine it will not be a waste at all. Infact, you'll be an absolutely fantastic doctor because you'll have a greater insight on medications than most doctors would. It would definately benefit your career, and having pharmacy as an undergraduate degree will also aid your medicine application.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHOO
Hey, I have quite a bit of insight in pharmacies.

Firstly, you can't get a licence to open your own Pharmacy, they just recently siezed that loophole. The only way you can is if there is a need (if for example, a new town is being constructed etc)
You can only purchase a pharmacy, and they're going for at least £500,000 to a million.
Working as a locum is becoming increasingly hard because there are a lot of pharmacists around at the moment. The "pharmacist" magazine state that by 2020ish, there will be an excess of 20,000 pharmacists - without jobs. As well as there being limited number of jobs, they will be with a lower pay. A lot of pharmacists are coming over from abroad, and are a lot cheaper to hire so independent pharmacies prefer to take them on for obvious reasons.
So the pharmacy career is looking really tough, and I'm sorry because you've probably been looking forward to it :frown:
This of course does not mean you shouldn't go for it, if you want to by all means do. It'll just be difficult!

Now for med, if your A level grades meet the entry requirements, and you do well in your UKCAT and have sufficient work experience, you can apply for medicine at undergraduate level. Your GCSE's will play a part if you apply at Oxbridge, or UCL as I understand it so for the rest you'll be fine :smile:

If you do pharmacy however, and then do medicine it will not be a waste at all. Infact, you'll be an absolutely fantastic doctor because you'll have a greater insight on medications than most doctors would. It would definately benefit your career, and having pharmacy as an undergraduate degree will also aid your medicine application.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for the reply and yes it did help a lot:smile:, im just really disappointed because I really wanted to be a pharmacist and I might not even be one due to the lack of jobs:frown:, is that magazine thing world wide or just the UK?
For the Undergrad medicine I have no chance hahaha it's just too competitive as everyone has higher qualifications, more w/e and other stuff:/ im just really gutted about pharmacy and I dont particularly want to be studying for 10 years:/, one other thing with the over saturation of pharmacists does that include clinical and community?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 788
Original post by Rhyss01
Thanks for the reply and yes it did help a lot:smile:, im just really disappointed because I really wanted to be a pharmacist and I might not even be one due to the lack of jobs:frown:, is that magazine thing world wide or just the UK?
For the Undergrad medicine I have no chance hahaha it's just too competitive as everyone has higher qualifications, more w/e and other stuff:/ im just really gutted about pharmacy and I dont particularly want to be studying for 10 years:/, one other thing with the over saturation of pharmacists does that include clinical and community?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say undergrad entry is easier than postgrad. With undergrad, you need a lower UKCAT score, and don't need to sit the GAMSAT - which is a killer. Also, not all medical schools do postgraduate medicine so you're chances become slightly limited. And ofcourse, there arnt as many post graduate places at the uni's that do postgraduate medicine, not as many as undergraduate ones anyway (Warwick has the largest number of post graduate places in the UK, with roughly 160 places)

It's a UK based one, I can confirm it's name for you when I next go to work. I'm sure you still can do pharmacy, maybe by the time you graduate in 2019, things may be different? If you love something - you should always stick to it because when you love it, you'll naturally do it so well that eventually someone would want to pay for your services.

With regards to the excess pharmacists, I think it includes both. Of course, you can use pharmacy to go on to study pharmaceutical chemistry or do a masters in pharmacology, which could put you on the platform of working in the mainstream companies, like GSK in the production of medicines. But personally, I'd keep away from that. Have a read of the book called "Bad Pharma" and you'll see why :P

It'll actually be 8 years at uni, and honestly, they'll fly! It feels like yesterday that I started doing my four year course in Forensic Science, & now I'm entering my final year!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHOO
I would say undergrad entry is easier than postgrad. With undergrad, you need a lower UKCAT score, and don't need to sit the GAMSAT - which is a killer. Also, not all medical schools do postgraduate medicine so you're chances become slightly limited. And ofcourse, there arnt as many post graduate places at the uni's that do postgraduate medicine, not as many as undergraduate ones anyway (Warwick has the largest number of post graduate places in the UK, with roughly 160 places)

It's a UK based one, I can confirm it's name for you when I next go to work. I'm sure you still can do pharmacy, maybe by the time you graduate in 2019, things may be different? If you love something - you should always stick to it because when you love it, you'll naturally do it so well that eventually someone would want to pay for your services.

With regards to the excess pharmacists, I think it includes both. Of course, you can use pharmacy to go on to study pharmaceutical chemistry or do a masters in pharmacology, which could put you on the platform of working in the mainstream companies, like GSK in the production of medicines. But personally, I'd keep away from that. Have a read of the book called "Bad Pharma" and you'll see why :P

It'll actually be 8 years at uni, and honestly, they'll fly! It feels like yesterday that I started doing my four year course in Forensic Science, & now I'm entering my final year!

Thank you! You're probably the only one thats given me so much detail on things hahah:smile:, when people said theres hardly any jobs for pharmacists it almost put me off completely!, is there any way of knowing if there are pharmacy jobs going in countries abroad? I know you have to take a pre-reg thing and effort but if thats what it takes to get a job!, also could I just work in the EU without taking another pre-reg?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 790
Just a note, SHOO's post could be misconstrued to mean you must sit GAMSAT if you are a graduate applying for medicine. This isn't true, some schools take UKCAT, some ask for BMAT and other GAMSAT. You need only take the entrance exam required for your chosen schools, therefore you could just avoid GAMSAT completely if you'd like.

Also, somewhat pedantic but graduate entry medicine is still an undergraduate course. Post-graduate courses are those that confer degrees such as, but not restricted to, MSc/MRes/PhD etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can I just ask for the UKCAT there are five sections right? The first four are included in your score e.g. 3000 and what about the situational judgement test? How is that scored?
So sorry I'm just a bit confused!
What does the UKCAT consist of? Like what kind of questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 793
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT_Guide_2014.pdf

Original post by ChemBoss
Can I just ask for the UKCAT there are five sections right? The first four are included in your score e.g. 3000 and what about the situational judgement test? How is that scored?
So sorry I'm just a bit confused!

p18 & p19 in particular.

Original post by Rhyss01
What does the UKCAT consist of? Like what kind of questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the entire PDF.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zorg
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT_Guide_2014.pdf

p18 & p19 in particular.

Read the entire PDF.

So basically you'd get a number and a band on your score sheet?
Also, does anyone know what the cutoff for Queen Mary's graduate programme last year was?
Also, does anyone know what the cutoff for Queen Mary's graduate programme last year was?

I don't know much about Queen Mary's but a quick google gave this lot of data from their 2013 admissions cycle, scroll down for A101: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/99618.pdf
Reply 797
Original post by Rhyss01
Thank you! You're probably the only one thats given me so much detail on things hahah:smile:, when people said theres hardly any jobs for pharmacists it almost put me off completely!, is there any way of knowing if there are pharmacy jobs going in countries abroad? I know you have to take a pre-reg thing and effort but if thats what it takes to get a job!, also could I just work in the EU without taking another pre-reg?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw that's ok :smile:

I'm sorry no, I don't know about jobs abroad & you have to do pre reg here too. I'm not sure how it works abroad!

Original post by Zorg
Just a note, SHOO's post could be misconstrued to mean you must sit GAMSAT if you are a graduate applying for medicine. This isn't true, some schools take UKCAT, some ask for BMAT and other GAMSAT. You need only take the entrance exam required for your chosen schools, therefore you could just avoid GAMSAT completely if you'd like.

Also, somewhat pedantic but graduate entry medicine is still an undergraduate course. Post-graduate courses are those that confer degrees such as, but not restricted to, MSc/MRes/PhD etc.

Yes, that's right- should have made it more clear, thanks. Yeah that's what I'm doing.. Avoiding the GAMSAT at all costs haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 798

I think it was 752.5

Ukcat cut offs were significantly higher for 2014 entry since everyone did so well.
I only remember that cause I was 10 marks off!!
But it's ok, they were my last choice and I got into my first choice uni anyway 😊
Hi

Here I am again :smile: :colone:
Sitting UKCAT in july and GAMSAT (8 wks for it)

Notts 60
Swansea 58
SGUL?

does anyone know last years cut-off?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending