The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GL1392
Hey!

That stuff looks like it's more suited to go on your personal statement, which is basically an essay about yourself which goes with your ucas application to sell yourself to the med schools!

Have a look around the ucas website for more info on the personal statement

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks GL. I was worried that might be the answer. I thought the PS was to reflect on what I learned rather than list experience. Hm... this is going to be really tricky to write.

If it helps anyone else: I do know (from open day) that Leicester want you to email them job descriptions and additional work references if your current job is not 'obviously' clinically relevant.
Reply 981
Original post by HokeyCokey
Thanks GL. I was worried that might be the answer. I thought the PS was to reflect on what I learned rather than list experience. Hm... this is going to be really tricky to write.

If it helps anyone else: I do know (from open day) that Leicester want you to email them job descriptions and additional work references if your current job is not 'obviously' clinically relevant.

The ps is about what you have learned. You have loads of experience!! And I know it is difficult, but try not to just list everything! You have to be clever and write it in a way thT say you've done them, and you've learnt x y z from the experience, without being repetitive.
That might mean you'd need to leave out a few experiences, and just talk about the ones you've learnt most from because also remember there is a strict character/line limit!! And you need to talk about other things too!!
Hey guys,

I've been trying to do some revision for GAMSAT (literally terrifying) and finding it difficult to know how to revise for the science section. I have a Chemistry degree so the chemistry questions are okay, but I haven't done biology for years! It says we need to know biology to first year degree level...how do you do this if you haven't done a degree in it? I've been looking at A-level biology revision. Is this okay? :s-smilie: Anyone else sitting it in September? :smile:
Original post by thomaslilli19
Hey guys,

I've been trying to do some revision for GAMSAT (literally terrifying) and finding it difficult to know how to revise for the science section. I have a Chemistry degree so the chemistry questions are okay, but I haven't done biology for years! It says we need to know biology to first year degree level...how do you do this if you haven't done a degree in it? I've been looking at A-level biology revision. Is this okay? :s-smilie: Anyone else sitting it in September? :smile:

Hey Thomaslili,

I'd suggest reading the Griffith's review its super useful in figuring out what topics (and materials) you'll need in order to study efficiently for the GAMSAT, in particular the science section.

http://www.gamsatreview.com/

I'll be sitting the GAMSAT this year with you so I feel your fear! :2in1:
Original post by zeethefish
Hey Thomaslili,

I'd suggest reading the Griffith's review its super useful in figuring out what topics (and materials) you'll need in order to study efficiently for the GAMSAT, in particular the science section.

http://www.gamsatreview.com/

I'll be sitting the GAMSAT this year with you so I feel your fear! :2in1:

Ah thanks very much! I had seen this mentioned before but was a bit dubious seeing the price and the website. Just downloaded it and it does look really good though.

Haha still a long time to go before we sit it, thankfully!
Reply 985
How are people ordering the UKCAT with the Personal Statement? Is it better to the UKCAT first, get it out the way, then start the PS, or the PS/UCAS first with the UKCAT second? Or both?
Original post by J1mmy
How are people ordering the UKCAT with the Personal Statement? Is it better to the UKCAT first, get it out the way, then start the PS, or the PS/UCAS first with the UKCAT second? Or both?

Do the UKCAT/GAMSAT before you put much effort in to writing a PS, because if you get too low of a score then there's little point in applying, GEM is fiercely competitive and if you don't meet the UKCAT and GAMSAT cut off points then there's little point having an amazing PS.
Reply 987
Original post by J1mmy

Do both, neither are that time intensive and can be done gradually.

Original post by LukeyJB
Do the UKCAT/GAMSAT before you put much effort in to writing a PS, because if you get too low of a score then there's little point in applying, GEM is fiercely competitive and if you don't meet the UKCAT and GAMSAT cut off points then there's little point having an amazing PS.

I can't see the PS getting in the way of GAMSAT revision unless you left it to the last couple of weeks. GAMSAT being 17th Sept leaves less than a month for you to get your application complete. I'd also want my referee to have my application way before then as well.
Original post by Zorg

I can't see the PS getting in the way of GAMSAT revision unless you left it to the last couple of weeks. GAMSAT being 17th Sept leaves less than a month for you to get your application complete. I'd also want my referee to have my application way before then as well.

I thought the GAMSAT was done in March?
Reply 989
Original post by LukeyJB
I thought the GAMSAT was done in March?

Irish GAMSAT is in March. UK GAMSAT is sat in Sept.

You can opt to sit GAMSAT Ireland at certain UK locations (I only know of London) but I think Swansea don't take it. I could be wrong on that last point, but I'm sure someone mentioned that.

EDIT: Am I wrong in thinking you are sitting GAMSAT for 2015 entry? Last available sitting for applications to 2015 entry, i.e. UCAS applications to go on 15th Oct 2014, is GAMSAT UK 17th Sept 2014. Essentially you need to have sat the exam before your UCAS form goes away.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zorg

How was your ukcathelp?
Reply 991
Original post by Ama2007
How was your ukcathelp?

Not great. Been ill for the last week so absolutely no practice. Glad GAMSAT uni's were my first choice, so not the biggest loss.
Original post by Zorg
Irish GAMSAT is in March. UK GAMSAT is sat in Sept.

You can opt to sit GAMSAT Ireland at certain UK locations (I only know of London) but I think Swansea don't take it. I could be wrong on that last point, but I'm sure someone mentioned that.

EDIT: Am I wrong in thinking you are sitting GAMSAT for 2015 entry? Last available sitting for applications to 2015 entry, i.e. UCAS applications to go on 15th Oct 2014, is GAMSAT UK 17th Sept 2014. Essentially you need to have sat the exam before your UCAS form goes away.

You are, I'm a 2016 entry applicant :smile:
Reply 993
Original post by LukeyJB
You are, I'm a 2016 entry applicant :smile:

Ah I see, my bad.
GAMSAT Ireland costs marginally more to sit in the UK but I'd recommend it if only so that you have grades in hand before you apply. Also you'd have a second shot with GAMSAT UK if things did go topsy turvy.
Reply 994
When is everyones UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zorg
Ah I see, my bad.
GAMSAT Ireland costs marginally more to sit in the UK but I'd recommend it if only so that you have grades in hand before you apply. Also you'd have a second shot with GAMSAT UK if things did go topsy turvy.

I'm not too concerned with the GAMSAT, it's the UKCAT I'm worried about! When would you suggest starting to revise for the gamsat? I have a science background but I have no idea what to learn, or how much there is to learn.
Reply 996
Original post by LukeyJB
I'm not too concerned with the GAMSAT, it's the UKCAT I'm worried about! When would you suggest starting to revise for the gamsat? I have a science background but I have no idea what to learn, or how much there is to learn.

I've yet to sit it, but I'll relay what I've learnt from others.

Look to spend about 3-6 months study on it. I think that's 3 months intensively. Unlike UKCAT though, this is definitely something you can spend quite a while on.
I've found Griffiths GAMSAT review to be essential and most of the medics at GAMSAT unis seem to swear by it. It gives you a really good structure and outline of what you need to know. Then it's just a case of going out and learning it. The website looks dodgy as hell, so be warned.
I think Acer state A level Physics, and first year degree level Chem and Bio. In reality A level should be fine and I'm spending less and less time on Physics as it only constitutes 20% of section 3. Can't skip it entirely though :wink:
Original post by Zorg

Look to spend about 3-6 months study on it. I think that's 3 months intensively. Unlike UKCAT though, this is definitely something you can spend quite a while on.
I've found Griffiths GAMSAT review to be essential and most of the medics at GAMSAT unis seem to swear by it. It gives you a really good structure and outline of what you need to know. Then it's just a case of going out and learning it. The website looks dodgy as hell, so be warned.
I think Acer state A level Physics, and first year degree level Chem and Bio. In reality A level should be fine and I'm spending less and less time on Physics as it only constitutes 20% of section 3. Can't skip it entirely though :wink:

I am going to try give it 7 wks
Original post by Zorg

I'm going to start re-learning my AS level stuff in September, then from January onwards re-learn my A2 content and start looking at certain areas more in-depth, do you know of any websites that give lists of topics to learn for the GAMSAT? Physics will be the bane of my life, I haven't looked at it since GCSE.
Reply 999
Original post by LukeyJB
I'm going to start re-learning my AS level stuff in September, then from January onwards re-learn my A2 content and start looking at certain areas more in-depth, do you know of any websites that give lists of topics to learn for the GAMSAT? Physics will be the bane of my life, I haven't looked at it since GCSE.

I bought the Griffiths review. Has exactly that and recommends books to buy, links and all :p: Equally Khan Academy videos are great for Chemistry. AS is pretty quick and easy to cover, took me about a week to get through AS Chem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending