The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Guys, can we apply to any uni's outside UCAS?
Reply 1181
Original post by SHOO
Guys, can we apply to any uni's outside UCAS?

I plan on applying for Irish GEM 2015 via CAO as well as UK GEM 2015 via UCAS
Original post by Zorg
Codes weren't too complex, it's that there are at least 2 very, very similar codes in pretty much every question. A quick glance would not suffice.

Yes, found similar. Dropped 230 marks in DA compared to last year.
Reply 1183
Original post by skyhook
Yes, found similar. Dropped 230 marks in DA compared to last year.

Haha me too -- went down from 840 to 610.
Does anyone know if you get rejected from a university for post-graduate medicine whether it's possible to receive an undergraduate offer from them? For example I'm unsure whether to apply to liverpool for post-grad medicine as I only scored 64% in my degree, not 65% or above. Has anyone heard of them rejected a post-graduate place but offering an undergraduate place? And whether this was true for other universities that offer both under and post-grad. Thanks!
Reply 1185
Original post by mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa
Does anyone know if you get rejected from a university for post-graduate medicine whether it's possible to receive an undergraduate offer from them? For example I'm unsure whether to apply to liverpool for post-grad medicine as I only scored 64% in my degree, not 65% or above. Has anyone heard of them rejected a post-graduate place but offering an undergraduate place? And whether this was true for other universities that offer both under and post-grad. Thanks!

Erm, do say that some graduate applicants may be offered the 5 year course, & then if in the future an place becomes vacant on the four year course they'll be able to transfer.

That's all I know of
Hi
basically I have done my ukcat a while ago. ..rubbish score..since then I have done nothing for my med application.
Thr plan was to set ukcat as early as possible so I can get more time for GAMSAT. but its looking very unlikely now that i will be applying. I have no idea what happened although I had it plan. After my ukcat result it just seems like I don't want to apply. .although o still want medicine. .so basically I don't see how am going to make the breakthrough this year. .

I don't know of am looking for advice lol but Ijust realised that I have actually done nothing since my ukcat exam hehe
Reply 1187
Original post by mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa

KCL follow an admissions system like that.
Guys I am doing loads of UKCAT practice and I feel like I'm doing ok or am improving on most sections, but the big problem is that I am horrendous at the Abstract Reasoning; I can usually pick up 1 factor but if it's more complex than that I completely fail :frown: Does anybody have any tips/resources to help with this? I'm using Medify and the ISC 600 book at the moment. Thanks!
Finished my shadowing at my local hospital and it was amazing! :biggrin: I'm so thankful that I got the opportunity to do it. And, as a result of doing the hospital bit, I am now set to go to a GP practice. UKCAT prep is coming to it's conclusion (10 days to go) and I appear to have forgotten basic maths skills :frown: but aside from that everything seems to be falling into place. Oh and i have a job interview for a surgical HCA. :smile:
Hey guys,

I'm planning on applying for 2016 entry.

Does anyone have any tips/resources which be will useful for preparing for the UKCAT and/or GAMSAT?

I've have just purchased the 600Q book for the UKCAT.

Thank you.

(Posted this in another thread)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MedMadeMeMad
Hey guys,

I'm planning on applying for 2016 entry.

Does anyone have any tips/resources which be will useful for preparing for the UKCAT and/or GAMSAT?

I've have just purchased the 600Q book for the UKCAT.

Thank you.

(Posted this another thread)

For UKCAT, I have been using Medify, 600Q, dotMedic Questions and Answers and a book called Foundations of Advanced Mathematics for QR. I went on the UKCAT crash course as well so I have their handbook. The course was really useful.
Original post by Medici103
For UKCAT, I have been using Medify, 600Q, dotMedic Questions and Answers and a book called Foundations of Advanced Mathematics for QR. I went on the UKCAT crash course as well so I have their handbook. The course was really useful.

Thank you.

Would you recommend me using the 600Q book to first get a basis of the UKCAT - then follow it up with the online resources and finally a crash course? I have about a year to prepare so I want to use the time well.

I'll get a copy of the foundations of advanced mathematics for the QR, after skimming through the 600Q book I can tell that QR and AR will be the most challenging for me.

Thanks again :smile:
Thank you.

Would you recommend me using the 600Q book to first get a basis of the UKCAT - then follow it up with the online resources and finally a crash course? I have about a year to prepare so I want to use the time well.

I'll get a copy of the foundations of advanced mathematics for the QR, after skimming through the 600Q book I can tell that QR and AR will be the most challenging for me.

QR/AR??? Whats that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vickie89uk
QR/AR??? Whats that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quantitative and abstract reasoning
Thank you.

Part of the battle with UKCAT is getting used to the timings and format. The 600Q book is good but it doesn't have the new style questions in it and some of the questions are considerably harder than on the actual test. Medify has been good as I have been able to go over the AR questions until I can spot patterns at a reasonable speed and rate of success. It's my most hated section.
Part of the battle with UKCAT is getting used to the timings and format. The 600Q book is good but it doesn't have the new style questions in it and some of the questions are considerably harder than on the actual test. Medify has been good as I have been able to go over the AR questions until I can spot patterns at a reasonable speed and rate of success. It's my most hated section.

Ah okay, thanks.

Could you clarify what you mean by "new style questions" please?
Quantitative and abstract reasoning

Excellent thats what i thought it might be, i dont abbreviate anything, so i want sure.

Abstract reasoning is so straight forward once you know what your looking for the UKCAT website has examples and the iphone app is invaluable it explains what your looking for and if you answer incorrectly it tell you what you should have noticed. The 600 ukcat book is a great tool and for quantitive reasoning its common sense and math and i find this one in particular the hardest all you can do is rely on your knowledge and hope you know whats on the test, again as you probably know practice is key here practice practice practice and try to improve ask your tutors if you consistenly get something wrong to help you preferably a math teacher.

Get this ASAP definately worth £15
https://m.waterstones.com/BookDetails.aspx?bookId=6739121

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have a new section coming they have trailed dont they. I will look into that think its on the UKCAT app already

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah okay, thanks.

Could you clarify what you mean by "new style questions" please?

http://www.getintomedicalschool.org/Admin/uploads/ukcat-format-changes-for-2013.pdf

This link should give you some more information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending