The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Will GEM not likely exist in future years? I'm asking because I want to do NatSci, as its too late to consider medicine now, and I'd want to do a science degree first.

So I'd be applying for like... 2019 entry :erm:

Probably won't exist then damnit

You never know, my friend...

Where are you applying for NatSci, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Tench
Wait, what?

I don't understand this. I assume the averages are lower this year then?

Back to 2013 entry standards, essentially. 700+ should get you an interview at Warwick if these were accurate. Aim for top decile to be guaranteed an interview at Barts/Newcastle GEP. Around 100 above the top decile for King's, probably.

It's possible more people could sit the UKCAT before the end of testing and push scores up, but given the test difficulty this year and current scores, that seems unlikely. Woo!

I might actually have a chance at Warwick this year!
Original post by Tench
You never know, my friend...

Where are you applying for NatSci, if you don't mind me asking?

Cambridge and Bath!

I'm applying for Chemistry at Bristol, Warwick and Nottingham :smile:

Where did you do your undergrad?
Original post by MJK91
Back to 2013 entry standards, essentially. 700+ should get you an interview at Warwick if these were accurate. Aim for top decile to be guaranteed an interview at Barts/Newcastle GEP. Around 100 above the top decile for King's, probably.

It's possible more people could sit the UKCAT before the end of testing and push scores up, but given the test difficulty this year and current scores, that seems unlikely. Woo!

I might actually have a chance at Warwick this year!

Oh, awesome. Best of luck to you :smile:

(I have no idea how I'm gonna get 700+ on the UKCAT once come around to doing it. Please send help)
Reply 1584
Will GEM not likely exist in future years? I'm asking because I want to do NatSci, as its too late to consider medicine now, and I'd want to do a science degree first.

So I'd be applying for like... 2019 entry :erm:

Probably won't exist then damnit

Funding for the graduate entry programme is constantly reviewed, and this year a number of universities have cut their GEM intake as a result. Between now and 2019 we have a general election, which COULD see GEM funding reduced, or scrapped depending upon the party. It is just conjecture but it is possible that by then the graduate programmes will have been merged with the undergraduate ones. Obviously graduates will still be able to do the course but at a hefty cost. Whilst just speculation it is something to bear in mind - personally I would apply to the undergraduate courses for 2015 entry and not procrastinate with a different degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by D0lly
Funding for the graduate entry programme is constantly reviewed, and this year a number of universities have cut their GEM intake as a result. Between now and 2019 we have a general election, which COULD see GEM funding reduced, or scrapped depending upon the party. It is just conjecture but it is possible that by then the graduate programmes will have been merged with the undergraduate ones. Obviously graduates will still be able to do the course but at a hefty cost. Whilst just speculation it is something to bear in mind - personally I would apply to the undergraduate courses for 2015 entry and not procrastinate with a different degree.

No, I'd rather do my NatSci degree first. Even if it means being a medic will never happen :sigh:

Guess it shows I'm not dedicated enough, but I know I'd never get in this year due to lack of volunteering/ECs/work experience.

I've set myself up for a science degree and it wasn't until a week in a biomedical lab I really wanted medicine.
Cambridge and Bath!

I'm applying for Chemistry at Bristol, Warwick and Nottingham :smile:

Where did you do your undergrad?

Good choices. Bristol has a really good Chem Dept I hear.

I'm actually still doing my undergrad. Going in my 3rd year of Chemistry with Biomedicine at King's
Original post by Tench
Wait, what?

I don't understand this. I assume the averages are lower this year then?

Nah, look at the stats on the previous page (78). The averages of last year were just inflated, mainly due to the DA section. This year's scores, so far, are more normal and in-line with previous years.
No, I'd rather do my NatSci degree first. Even if it means being a medic will never happen :sigh:

Guess it shows I'm not dedicated enough, but I know I'd never get in this year due to lack of volunteering/ECs/work experience.

I've set myself up for a science degree and it wasn't until a week in a biomedical lab I really wanted medicine.

You have the same problem that I did when I was in A2 (Its story time):-

I enjoyed science (mainly chemistry and maths) at A2 and I knew that i wanted to do some kind of science degree. The problem was though that there was, and still is, a great deal of choice in this regard. I decided to apply for Medicine because, as someone with an interest in biochemistry and biomedical science, it appealed to me. Little did I know that medicine applicants all have amazing portfolios of work experience and, as a result of my lack of such experience, I got rejected from all my places.

Sad times. I decided to accept the place I had on UCAS Extra for my current course instead for two reasons: My interest in chemistry and the opportunity to approach medicine from a chemical perspective.

Ultimately, I absolutely do not regret accepting this place. The last two years have been the best two years of my life so far and ecstatic to see whats ahead for me after I'm done
. Be it GEM or something else.

Long story short, go where the heart goes. Do a general assessment of what you want ot do more and why you want to do it, then act accordingly
Reply 1589

Well you can do research in the field of medicine without being a clinician. You could even lecture in medical schools if you go on to a PhD. I remember at college level university study seemed so black and white, but in reality there is a huge amount of cross over between all areas of academia. Best of luck with your application.
Original post by Tench
Good choices. Bristol has a really good Chem Dept I hear.

I'm actually still doing my undergrad. Going in my 3rd year of Chemistry with Biomedicine at King's

Yeah it's awesome:biggrin:

Oh that's cool!

Original post by Tench
You have the same problem that I did when I was in A2 (Its story time):-

I enjoyed science (mainly chemistry and maths) at A2 and I knew that i wanted to do some kind of science degree. The problem was though that there was, and still is, a great deal of choice in this regard. I decided to apply for Medicine because, as someone with an interest in biochemistry and biomedical science, it appealed to me. Little did I know that medicine applicants all have amazing portfolios of work experience and, as a result of my lack of such experience, I got rejected from all my places.

Sad times. I decided to accept the place I had on UCAS Extra for my current course instead for two reasons: My interest in chemistry and the opportunity to approach medicine from a chemical perspective.

Ultimately, I absolutely do not regret accepting this place. The last two years have been the best two years of my life so far and ecstatic to see whats ahead for me after I'm done
. Be it GEM or something else.

Long story short, go where the heart goes. Do a general assessment of what you want ot do more and why you want to do it, then act accordingly

Hmmmm... Life's hard :colonhash: this will sound arrogant but I'm good at like everything academic, and I enjoy it all. Like I was tossing up the idea of a language degree too, and law... Even history :frown:

At least if I was only good at certain things, it'd narrow choices.

Original post by D0lly
Well you can do research in the field of medicine without being a clinician. You could even lecture in medical schools if you go on to a PhD. I remember at college level university study seemed so black and white, but in reality there is a huge amount of cross over between all areas of academia. Best of luck with your application.

That would be awesome.

Hey has anyone come across Swanseas GAMSAT results for 2014 entry?

I know there website say requirement if min 50 but as every other uni has gone up to min 60 I presume theres had too????
And can I add its soo FUSTRATING about last years inflated UKCAT scores. just leaves us all confused about how well our scores are ranked this year! And the fact that more and more people apply each year doesn't help at all.
Original post by Fuhad25
And can I add its soo FUSTRATING about last years inflated UKCAT scores. just leaves us all confused about how well our scores are ranked this year! And the fact that more and more people apply each year doesn't help at all.

Go by previous years.

2008, 2430
2009, 2504
2010, 2488
2011, 2475
2012, 2515

It's in the same general area (2500). Don't take it as gospel, but it can give you some idea of where cut-offs might be if the current average stays around 2530. Anything in the high 600s should probably get you an interview for undergrad courses and 700+ probably puts you in with a fighting chance on some GEP courses. Again, don't take this as absolute truth.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tabris
Go by previous years.

2008, 2430
2009, 2504
2010, 2488
2011, 2475
2012, 2515

It's in the same general area (2500). Don't take it as gospel, but it can give you some idea of where cut-offs might be if the current average stays around 2530. Anything in the high 600s should probably get you an interview for undergrad courses and 700+ probably puts you in with a fighting chance on some GEP courses. Again, don't take this as absolute truth.

Problem with me is i dont have the best A-level results, so competing again undergrads wont help me. Only chance i have is the GEM. i dont have my UKCAT till the 8th of September anyways so i guess ill have to wait and see what happens. :/
Original post by D0lly
Oh how odd. Lucy Cav are exceptionally helpful but if you're set on Hughes, maybe send your email to a generalised address and ask for it to be forwarded to the relevant person? Once they reply you'll gain a phone number from the signature of the email.

What's the email address for Lucy Cav?
They are so unhelpful. ..which is weird...
Original post by Fuhad25
Problem with me is i dont have the best A-level results, so competing again undergrads wont help me. Only chance i have is the GEM. i dont have my UKCAT till the 8th of September anyways so i guess ill have to wait and see what happens. :/

Unless you're applying to unis that have an A-level requirement for graduates, your 2:1 prediction supercedes your A-level grades. And, seeing as you meet the minimum requirements, having better grades is irrelevant anyway. All that matters is that you get a good UKCAT score and perform at interview.
Original post by Ama2007

Email Wolfson. They're awesome
Reply 1598
Original post by jv.lalloo
Apparently the sections have become much harder, and on average everyone's mark is lower this year. whether the unis take that into account - i doubt it.

Tabris got there first. But just to add, HYMS experience the brunt of this first hand last year, setting an arbitrary UKCAT score and found far more people achieved it than they predicted, resulting in automatic offers.
The majority of medical schools state they will take the top 25%/(insert percentage here) of the applicant pool, thus any fluctuations in achieved UKCAT scores that year is reflected in the applicant pool.

If you have the A level grades and it's a case of getting w/e or volunteering, you'd be far better off on the undergraduate course and intercalating to do Nat.Sci.
Not only will you have a better chance to get on a medicine course, but you will be assured funding.

My greatest fear with GEM isn't that I won't get an offer. It's that I will get an offer for 2016 entry and won't be able to afford it due to lack of funding.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1599
Original post by Ama2007

[email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending