The Student Room Group

'Society should not accept obesity'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Zero Nowhere
The why stop there, if we shouldn't spend taxes on the overweight because it's self inflicted, then we shouldn't spend money on people injured playing recreactional sports, people injured in road accidents that was their own fault, people bitten by their own pets. People shouldn't be rescued when they decide to go hill walking/rock climbing and get trapped in a storm, people shouldn't be rescued if they go sailing and get trapped out at sea. Infact why not just re-shape the whole public service system i.e. taxes should only be used for situations where the service user did not inflict the situation upon themself. So next people decide to go play a game of football, or by a pair or roller blades, or indeed have a bbq where they could potentially harm themself, they should not expect taxes to pay for any helpless situation they get theirself into because it's self inflicted and could have been prevented by just not doing it.

.......................or, we can keep the tax system they way it is, where taxes allow everyone in the country to at the very least the most basic of health care, personal protection, education, allowing people to live their life mostly in the way they see fit.

what? I don't think anyone said stop spending taxes on the obese outright. The idea is to reduce tax spend on the obese by making it so less people are obese. Who proposed reforming the tax system so obese people can't get help on the NHS?
Original post by tooosh
There are other factors but does any combination of external variables and internal motivations/willpower make it so unreasonably difficult for the vast majority of people? Most obese do not face the genetic short straw for example. If some given obese person is maintaining weight then chances are, it really is just a case of taking 500cals of fries or whatever out per day. Eating properly and healthily requires lifestyle change but you don't have to throw it all on yourself at once to lose weight; you can make proper changes as you go along. If that person had the willpower/motivations then they would research and find that out.

Yes losing (or gaining) weight requires more willpower than maintaining but I'm not sure what point you were trying to make there.

We know that many people don't have the willpower. If people had the willpower we wouldn't have so many obese.

I'll give you the parent thing, there's no clear solution for that. But the process of losing weight is the same at least.

BTW when I say willpower, I mean the encompassing of all internal drive. So long term motivation and short term grit.

It was geared towards the common response of 'if the other 4/10 people aren't overweight or obese, then the other 6 should be able to just lose the weight' that often comes in response from arguing that weight loss is very hard.

Ah I see yes, then perhaps if that is what you are saying willpower is, then obesity is about not having the willpower. But you can't expect someone to suck it up and get the willpower, that's impossible. They have to have their own reasons for losing the weight, and it seems that health isn't a good enough reason for a lot of people, nor is looking good, better fitness etc. I just don't see how placing blame or thinking of the obese population as all lazy and stupid and ignorant (I'm not saying you are, but this seems to be the common attitude) is at all helpful, or true. Obesity shouldn't be accepted as something to be, or remain at, but it should be accepted that the obese need help, be it psychological or professional and factual dietary information. Society should not accept obesity, by taking active steps to reduce it, educate children and adults, prevent it in younger generations. Not by placing blame on or humiliating obese individuals.

And also, yeah it seems to simple when you put it on paper. A chocolate bar here, or a portion of chips there, but when this behaviour is so ingrained in you every day life, you don't think, you just order your food then feel guilty later. I could only lose weight when I completely revamped and pretty much made a meal plan for myself. And also, it might be enough for a month or so's steady weight loss, but after that, hormone balances change making you less full and more hungry, and some research suggests that you metabolism shifts slightly to slow weight loss, so really, the small efforts won't get you too far.
(edited 10 years ago)
The why stop there, if we shouldn't spend taxes on the overweight because it's self inflicted, then we shouldn't spend money on people injured playing recreactional sports, people injured in road accidents that was their own fault, people bitten by their own pets. People shouldn't be rescued when they decide to go hill walking/rock climbing and get trapped in a storm, people shouldn't be rescued if they go sailing and get trapped out at sea. Infact why not just re-shape the whole public service system i.e. taxes should only be used for situations where the service user did not inflict the situation upon themself. So next people decide to go play a game of football, or by a pair or roller blades, or indeed have a bbq where they could potentially harm themself, they should not expect taxes to pay for any helpless situation they get theirself into because it's self inflicted and could have been prevented by just not doing it.

.......................or, we can keep the tax system they way it is, where taxes allow everyone in the country to at the very least the most basic of health care, personal protection, education, allowing people to live their life mostly in the way they see fit.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

It's not a devolving issue :colonhash: I am a relatively fit person, I'm not overweight - therefore I will (on average) not use the NHS to the same degree as someone who is obese. Is it right that I am asked to foot the bill for their lifestyle choices? People who go rock climbing do not do so with the intention of falling off and breaking their leg; people who eat a large amount of the wrong foods know what the end result will be. The expenditure should be relocated to make sure that people do not get into that state in the first place.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Algorithm69
Why should I, a fit and healthy individual who hasn't cost the NHS a penny in six years (the last time I visited a doctor), have to pay for a fat pig's heart bypass or diabetes medicine? You bang on about freedom but these freedoms are being paid for by other people.

If you don't like it, go to somewhere without a national health. I believe that free healthcare should be a human right. I don't care if someone did it themselves or it was not their fault, if they are suffering, the NHS can have my money to help them.
Why should I, a fit and healthy individual who hasn't cost the NHS a penny in six years (the last time I visited a doctor), have to pay for a fat pig's heart bypass or diabetes medicine? You bang on about freedom but these freedoms are being paid for by other people.

And equally why should I have to pay for some couple that decide to squeeze out 2, 3 or 4 rotten kids in an nhs hospital when I'm never going to have children. Why should I have to pay for couples that decide to have some out dated religious tradition called marraige that the government not only still regards as a legal status, but actively rewards people for it by giving them tax breaks despite the fact I never feel the need to get married. Why should my taxes go to save someone stranded in the middle of the sea because they decided to go sailing and the weather got too bad for them to make it back to shore, despite the fact I don't go sailing................. why, because that's the whole point of then damn tax system. You pay taxes for public services so that everyone get an equal share of the most basic of resources and services. If some guy that's worked all their life paying into the system decides to get fat and needs heart surgery then whats it got to do with me. I still get to use the NHS just like they do if I need to. It has virtually no impact on my life what so ever. Just because I don't need to use the services doesn't mean no one else can. Infact even if they don't pay taxes, I literally couldn't give a damn, I can guarantee it has almost no impact on my life what so ever.
Reply 65
Original post by Holz888
It was geared towards the common response of 'if the other 4/10 people aren't overweight or obese, then the other 6 should be able to just lose the weight' that often comes in response from arguing that weight loss is very hard.

Ah I see yes, then perhaps if that is what you are saying willpower is, then obesity is about not having the willpower. But you can't expect someone to suck it up and get the willpower, that's impossible. They have to have their own reasons for losing the weight, and it seems that health isn't a good enough reason for a lot of people, nor is looking good, better fitness etc. I just don't see how placing blame or thinking of the obese population as all lazy and stupid and ignorant (I'm not saying you are, but this seems to be the common attitude) is at all helpful, or true. Obesity shouldn't be accepted as something to be, or remain at, but it should be accepted that the obese need help, be it psychological or professional and factual dietary information. Society should not accept obesity, by taking active steps to reduce it, educate children and adults, prevent it in younger generations. Not by placing blame on or humiliating obese individuals.

And also, yeah it seems to simple when you put it on paper. A chocolate bar here, or a portion of chips there, but when this behaviour is so ingrained in you every day life, you don't think, you just order your food then feel guilty later. I could only lose weight when I completely revamped and pretty much made a meal plan for myself. And also, it might be enough for a month or so's steady weight loss, but after that, hormone balances change making you less full and more hungry, and some research suggests that you metabolism shifts slightly to slow weight loss, so really, the small efforts won't get you too far.

I think we are mostly in agreement now.

If your body adjusts to keep weight at the same amount of food then thats when you start introducing bigger lifestyle changes like lifting weights to raise metabolism. My point there was only that it doesn't need to all be done at once. Work hard and smart - just doing one gets you nowhere. Too many lack the willpower to work hard; someone else can make them work smart like a GP or even an article on the internet or something.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
****in nonsense, if people want to be fat then that's their business. No one has any obligation to "society".
Original post by OedipusTheKing
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

It's not a devolving issue :colonhash: I am a relatively fit person, I'm not overweight - therefore I will (on average) not use the NHS to the same degree as someone who is obese. Is it right that I am asked to foot the bill for their lifestyle choices? People who go rock climbing do not do so with the intention of falling off and breaking their leg; people who eat a large amount of the wrong foods know what the end result will be. The expenditure should be relocated to make sure that people do not get into that state in the first place.

Rubbish, people who overeat don't do so with the intention of having a heart attack just as much as people who go rock climbing don't do so with the intention of getting hurt, however, both have dangerous outcomes, and in both scenarios the person in question is most probably aware of the dangers. Thus there isn't any difference between illness due to overeating and illness due to recreational activity. The only difference is the prejudices held by society in relation of each scenario i.e. overeating is looked down upon whereas recreational activity isn't despite the fact that both could potentially have negative outcomes.

Infact I would even go as far to say the amount of people that get injured in recreational sports, just messing around or indeed any scenario where someone admitted to hospital for an act they chose to do is probably higher than the amount of people admitted for over consumption of food over a given period. Yet overeating is shunned but playing a dangerous game of rubgy or cycling on the road isn't. They are all dangerous activities that could easily be prevented by not doing it.........

If it becomes too much of a strain on society then put a small tax levy on unhealthy foods, but equally if we are going to tax the easily preventable, you could easily argue recreational activities could be taxed given the potential danger. One thing I certainly don't agree with though is making soceity shame people for living their, limited, free life in the way they see fit.
Guess you're not too familiar with Libertarianism, are you?

I'm sorry what was your reply supposed to achieve other than produce a fairly patronising question. You haven't actually addressed anything I have stated.
Obesity is just disgusting. The fact that being overweight is now accepted as "normal" sickens me.
Original post by tooosh
I think we are mostly in agreement now.

If your body adjusts to keep weight at the same amount of food then thats when you start introducing bigger lifestyle changes like lifting weights to raise metabolism. My point there was only that it doesn't need to all be done at once. Work hard and smart - just doing one gets you nowhere. Too many lack the willpower to work hard; someone else can make them work smart like a GP or even an article on the internet or something.

Spoiler

Haha yup, it seems we are. Although the internet is not a great place to get information from. It's very confusing with everyone claiming that their piece of research is the right one, or their blog demonstrates the best way to lose weight. I think regular appointments with trained professionals would be best for this kind of thing. Group meetings, which don't require subscriptions to WeightWatcher's or something. We have it with smoking cessation nurses, so now we need obesity nurses too :smile:

I probably will. I'm tired of having to pay for other people's decisions. How you can find a system that encourages people to take no responsibility for their actions as moral is beyond me. Although you yourself have admitted that you are irresponsible with your own weight, so you have a lot to gain from such a system whereas I don't. Figures you'd try to protect it.

How does having an NHS encourage lack of responsibility? America struggles more than us with obesity, and their healthcare is all private. I was overweight in my childhood and early teens, and now I am a healthy weight. I haven't gained anything more from the NHS than someone who has been a healthy weight all of their life. I am protective over the NHS because like I said, I'd rather pay for all suffering than no suffering. I couldn't stand to live in a country where those who can't afford healthcare go without, be it self inflicted or not. I believe in equality over greed when it comes to something as fundamental as healthcare
Rubbish, people who overeat don't do so with the intention of having a heart attack just as much as people who go rock climbing don't do so with the intention of getting hurt, however, both have dangerous outcomes, and in both scenarios the person in question is most probably aware of the dangers. Thus there isn't any difference between illness due to overeating and illness due to recreational activity. The only difference is the prejudices held by society in relation of each scenario i.e. overeating is looked down upon whereas recreational activity isn't despite the fact that both could potentially have negative outcomes.

Infact I would even go as far to say the amount of people that get injured in recreational sports, just messing around or indeed any scenario where someone admitted to hospital for an act they chose to do is probably higher than the amount of people admitted for over consumption of food over a given period. Yet overeating is shunned but playing a dangerous game of rubgy or cycling on the road isn't. They are all dangerous activities that could easily be prevented by not doing it.........

If it becomes too much of a strain on society then put a small tax levy on unhealthy foods, but equally if we are going to tax the easily preventable, you could easily argue recreational activities could be taxed given the potential danger. One thing I certainly don't agree with though is making soceity shame people for living their, limited, free life in the way they see fit.

You still haven't addressed my main point. You believe that people should be free to live their lives as they see fit, right? Fine. So do I. An individual has the liberty to become obese, but I also have the liberty not to pay for him. Why should his rights take precedence over mine? I have worked very hard to achieve my wage and here I am, being forced to fork over a certain percentage of it to someone I have never even met. My right to use my property as I see fit is being violated through the taxation which funds his heart surgery.

It's fine to be obese, that is someone's prerogative, just don't expect society to foot the bill. Liberty is a two-edged concept, and for everything that is state-funded the money has to come from somewhere. It comes from the wallets of individuals.
Reply 72
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Love the sinner, hate the sin.

Bingo :smile:
Original post by Holz888
I agree that willpower is needed, but my point is that losing weight is hard

It's much easier than gaining muscle I can assure you.

The OP completely missed the points being made in the previous thread - in fact, I'm fairly certain he did not read it.
Original post by maskofsanity
It's much easier than gaining muscle I can assure you.

The OP completely missed the points being made in the previous thread - in fact, I'm fairly certain he did not read it.

:lol: It might well be, I've never tried to gain muscle before. Your point is?
Original post by Holz888
:lol: It might well be, I've never tried to gain muscle before. Your point is?

That it is easy. People like to convince themselves it's difficult.

If you think losing weight is difficult and the hardest thing you've ever done then you've had an unbelievably easy life. That sounds patronising but it's a simple deduction. If doing exercise and eating in a way to promote a healthy body is difficult to you, then you have not been seriously challenged previously.

If you think losing weight is difficult and the hardest thing you've ever done then you've had an unbelievably easy life. That sounds patronising but it's a simple deduction. If doing exercise and eating in a way to promote a healthy body is difficult to you, then you have not been seriously challenged previously.

You'd be incorrect in your deduction, but I'm not going to disclose my life history for the sake of an argument. It took the most of my time and energy. I had to always know what I was going to eat, plan my day around exercise and cook for my whole family every night because that was the only way that I could eat healthily. My school work and social life suffered, perhaps because I got too obsessed with it, but that was the only way I could be successful. I had to choose losing weight over everything else in my life, and now I have to choose maintaining this weight. Sometimes I wish I'd stayed bigger because I've lost so much through losing the weight. You haven't been in my situation, so I don't expect you to understand fully, but please try to understand that not everything is as simple as numbers
I think accepting obesity is like accepting coronary heart disease or diabetes. Obesity is a health problem, like lung cancer or schizophrenia or Lupus. By any means, discriminating against people for their conditions is wrong. What you need to do is give them treatment to allow them to become more healthy. However, when people do not take care of themselves and allow themselves to become unhealthy through lack of exercise or excessive eating, I think a lot of sympathy goes for them as they are the sole cause for their obesity. (I accept that in some cases people may have legitimate conditions that make it much harder for them to lose weight and there are a lot of mental health issues related to obesity, but if 90% of gastric bypasses result in weight loss, surely those people could achieve the same results through a bit of exercise and will power?) By all means, if you are happy with your weight I won't hold it against you. But don't expect my taxes to pay for your hospital bills.
Reply 78

I do agree to some extent but it's not simply a case of manning up for every fat person.
Some people don't have the genes. Some people have undergone addiction related brain changes. And some are lazy and spoilt. Whilst I think it's likely the case is the latter, you never know when you might be talking to someone who isn't just lazy.
Original post by Holz888
You'd be incorrect in your deduction, but I'm not going to disclose my life history for the sake of an argument. It took the most of my time and energy. I had to always know what I was going to eat, plan my day around exercise and cook for my whole family every night because that was the only way that I could eat healthily. My school work and social life suffered, perhaps because I got too obsessed with it, but that was the only way I could be successful. I had to choose losing weight over everything else in my life, and now I have to choose maintaining this weight. Sometimes I wish I'd stayed bigger because I've lost so much through losing the weight. You haven't been in my situation, so I don't expect you to understand fully, but please try to understand that not everything is as simple as numbers

You're just exaggerating it. You don't need to plan your day around exercise - it is one or two hours out of twenty-four. That is a prime example of exaggerating the difficulty of losing weight - "oh I don't have time for the gym!". All the other points you've made are no different, like the need to cook for your whole family in order to eat healthily. Very convincing. You've lost so much through losing your weight have you? I believe you've convinced yourself that this is the case but aside from losing fat, going to the gym for an hour a day and eating healthily ought to have no large impact on your life, unless you exaggerate the difficulty and trap yourself in a circle of laziness.

In fact, you're contributing to the very problem highlighted in the previous thread - i.e. accepting and normalising obesity. With people complaining that losing weight is so unbelievably life-destroyingly hard, the obese have a great excuse to remain obese.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending