The Student Room Group

The word Paki...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Im of Pakistani origin and I do not at all mind being called a "Paki" necessarily. I too question why people find it awkward when I refer to myself as one lol. Although I see why people take offense to it when they hear offensive/racist people using the term "Paki" in a spiteful manner - I personally would shrug it off, really does nothing to me.
Original post by chefdave
I'm not saying it completely explains why 'Paki' is considerd an offensive but I definitely think there's something in it. Why was Skoda once a derogatory term? Because Skodas used to be rubbish cars. Well Pakistan is quite a poor, illiberal country so if you call someone a Paki (whether they're from Pakistan or not) you're saying they're from a country that isn't as developed as a Western one, i.e they're a 'rubbish' person from a 'rubbish' country.

In the 1960s (when this Paki bashing thing started) Pakistan was actually doing well and was seen as a model developing country. There was none of this Islamic extremism stuff and it was a lot more liberal than it is today. So I doubt this theory is correct.
Original post by jojotheflower
I guess it's just the way it's used as lot of people have things against them? It's just like how some people would say that calling a person black is racist

jojotheflower, meow, over and out

:K::K:

Lol wut?
Well I like to use the word just to save my breath

Usually to brown men who I think is pakistani

They all look the same to me :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by Habsburg
I know you might feel very uncomfortable with it, but you can say the word 'paki' (see?) when discussing its usage without being racist and offensive. I do understand how it can be used very offensively, but if we hide it behind asterisks and euphemisms, effectively sweeping it out of sight and out of mind, it just gives the word more power and more offensive potential.

Also, I hate to be a pedant, but for the record strictly speaking the correct demonym is 'Afghan'; the Afghani is the currency.

I agree I suppose, but I'd much rather people didn't use it at all no matter how or why. And thanks for correcting my grammar (I still stand by my original point though).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Whitechapel
It's said with racial conviction most of the time, that's why.

So why is Paki bad but Yank is alright. Yank is usually said with racial and cultural overtones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Donaldson125
So why is Paki bad but Yank is alright. Yank is usually said with racial and cultural overtones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the word 'Paki' has a history of being used as a racial slur. Is 'Yank' always used as an insult/racial slur?
I'm British from Manchester. That makes me a Mancy Brit - OK by me. And, believe me, there are millions of people out there who call us "effin Brits!" So what? Learn to live with your nationality. Live with what people call you. Words, Words, Words... Come on world - for Christ's sake grow up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending