The Student Room Group

Student Finance and ESA (CB)

Heya, I am hoping someone might be able to help me as so far I've found it impossible to find a clear cut answer to my query.

I am on contribution based ESA, in the support group. I will be claiming the full maintenance loan and the special support grant. Can someone tell me how this will affect my ESA? I understand that in the income based your loan is considered income and your ESA is reduced accordingly but I seem to be getting the information that this is not the case if you're on contribution based?

So much of what I've read is conflicting, I would really appreciate it if someone who is in the same situation, or knows the system, can explain what will happen.

Many thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I'm interested in finding out the answer to this too.
Reply 2
Can you be on esa? I thought you couldn't Im probably wrong though! I'm on ssp atm, then esa when I finish work before uni, but I'd probably be on contributions based which annoys me so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kmcgowan13
Can you be on esa? I thought you couldn't Im probably wrong though! I'm on ssp atm, then esa when I finish work before uni, but I'd probably be on contributions based which annoys me so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only if you receive DLA / are part time. Student finance doesn't affect contributions based ESA.
Reply 4
I'm going to see about dla as I'm unfit to work hence going to uni!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You can't make a new claim for DLA.

DLA was given for care and /or mobility needs and not so you can get ESA whilst at uni because you're "unfit for work".
Reply 6
Yeah I need low mobility care, I have 3 days approx a week where I can't move and my partner has to do everything for me, I'm physically exhausted to the point when I stand up I fall down, I'm a mum too so need the help to look after my daughter!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'm 26 and I've worked since I've left school bar a year break 3 years ago due to my illness. Didnt appreciate thebsarcastic quote marks! I work for the health visiting team dealing with sexual and child abuse daily, try dealing with that and depression and anxiety! My only option was benefits or uni, I chose uni for a break and hopefully get me better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yeah I need low mobility care, I have 3 days approx a week where I can't move and my partner has to do everything for me, I'm physically exhausted to the point when I stand up I fall down, I'm a mum too so need the help to look after my daughter!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You help for at least 4-5 days a week to qualify. But it's now PIP you have qualify for, which has different criteria.
Reply 9
I'm 26 and I've worked since I've left school bar a year break 3 years ago due to my illness. Didnt appreciate thebsarcastic quote marks! I work for the health visiting team dealing with sexual and child abuse daily, try dealing with that and depression and anxiety! My only option was benefits or uni, I chose uni for a break and hopefully get me better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi , i really dont think anyone was being sarcastic at your comments , just helpful .as far as DLA or PIP , as its now called, you should defo apply , as it sounds like you qualify , and if you have any hope of keeping your ESA while studying , you need to have PIP . I am on both and i have just today been infomed my ESA Is safe while i study . I too am on contributions based ESA which you also need , good luck .
Reply 10
Original post by SallyHP
Heya, I am hoping someone might be able to help me as so far I've found it impossible to find a clear cut answer to my query.

I am on contribution based ESA, in the support group. I will be claiming the full maintenance loan and the special support grant. Can someone tell me how this will affect my ESA? I understand that in the income based your loan is considered income and your ESA is reduced accordingly but I seem to be getting the information that this is not the case if you're on contribution based?

So much of what I've read is conflicting, I would really appreciate it if someone who is in the same situation, or knows the system, can explain what will happen.

Many thanks!

Hi , the answers conflict because The DWP consider every individual case now, so heres basically how it works , to be considered (not accepted ) you need to have :

Contribution based ESA , support group.
DLA (PIP)
To be on a full time course.

If you dont have all of the above you WONT be considered for your ESA to continue during your studies.

Having established that you can apply to keep your ESA payments during your studies due to the above criteria, you should gather as much genuine evidence to support your claim as possible, ie: all medical evidence , mental and physical, letters from clinics you attend and professionals you see etc. the more you have the better. Also , as i did in my case , a detailed personal statement as to what your difficulties are , how your ilness limits you as opposed to others , how much the ESA means to your financial situation and your ability to study , what goals you mean to achieve from the subject youare studying etc .

All people that already receive the benefits mentioned will be used to such applications and letters , and may see it as pointless going over old ground , but it really is a new benefit you are applying for ,as regards receiving payment during studies , so it is necessary and very helpful , as I can testify to. As I said before , they will look at your case individually, so it might be the case that you have the criteria but they consider your individual situation to be unsuitable , there is no black and white in this application .

I really hope this helps anyone who is unsure.
Good luck, and as my wee mammy always said" whits fur ye will no go by ye"
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nugi1967
Hi , the answers conflict because The DWP consider every individual case now, so heres basically how it works , to be considered (not accepted ) you need to have :

Contribution based ESA , support group.
DLA (PIP)
To be on a full time course.

If you dont have all of the above you WONT be considered for your ESA to continue during your studies.

Having established that you can apply to keep your ESA payments during your studies due to the above criteria, you should gather as much genuine evidence to support your claim as possible, ie: all medical evidence , mental and physical, letters from clinics you attend and professionals you see etc. the more you have the better. Also , as i did in my case , a detailed personal statement as to what your difficulties are , how your ilness limits you as opposed to others , how much the ESA means to your financial situation and your ability to study , what goals you mean to achieve from the subject youare studying etc .

All people that already receive the benefits mentioned will be used to such applications and letters , and may see it as pointless going over old ground , but it really is a new benefit you are applying for ,as regards receiving payment during studies , so it is necessary and very helpful , as I can testify to. As I said before , they will look at your case individually, so it might be the case that you have the criteria but they consider your individual situation to be unsuitable , there is no black and white in this application .

I really hope this helps anyone who is unsure.
Good luck, and as my wee mammy always said" whits fur ye will no go by ye"

Why would you need all that? The OP isn't applying for ESA. They already receive ESA.
Reply 12
Hi , i didnt say the OP needed to gather all the evidence , i said she "should" , as thats what i did in my case and was succesful in keeping my ESA . You certainly dont "need " to to that or anything else. Im merely pointing out what my experience was. What i do know is that each case is looked at individually and assesed individually and it can't be damaging to your case if you do add as much as possible .Fair enough ,maybe the medical evidence is not needed but i chose to add mine for one simple reason , sometimes things are overlooked or missed by the DWP when applications are being sent or passed between departments , i for one know its happened to me before on a couple of occassions , so i say better safe than sorry .
Reply 13
Thank you for the replies! Ok, so this is new information, if I'm in the support group receiving CB ESA I still need to be on DLA?! Really?! I thought that was for people on income based? It's so blinkin' confusing!

The guy I spoke to at ESA said that his information was that you couldn't get ESA at all on a full time course, but then when I voiced my doubts about whether that was actually the case he went away and came back saying he was mistaken and that it was all decided on on an individual case and to write in with all my info and a decision maker would look over it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SallyHP
Thank you for the replies! Ok, so this is new information, if I'm in the support group receiving CB ESA I still need to be on DLA?! Really?! I thought that was for people on income based? It's so blinkin' confusing!

Whatever ESA you're on, you do need to be claiming DLA / PIP to carry on receiving it as a full time student.

Here is a bit of information about claiming ESA as a full time student. It confirms that you need to claim DLA too.

It says in that link something about 16 hours - that's for further education. Most uni courses are 12 hours contact time per week; but you have to do a lot of self study, which takes it up to full time. Full time is 120 credits per year.
Reply 15
Okies, that information is helpful but it does say if you're over 21 you may still be able to claim contributory based ESA on a full time course. I'm a mature student. I think I'll just have to write in with all my information and hope for the best. Thanks for the responses.
Reply 16
Where does it stated that about being 21? And is that without dsa? I'm 26 and going to uni as I've been off sick from work since March and it was either try uni or life off benefits :-s

Posted from TSR Mobile
DSA doesn't matter.

I'm not sure where the 21 comes from either.

Your uni has a finance department. They might be able to offer advice.
Reply 18
On that page you linked to, in the contributory paragraph, the last sentence is 'If you’re 19 or over, you can still be eligible for contributory ESA even if you’re studying full time.' For some reason I read it as 21 rather than 19.
(edited 10 years ago)
Where does it stated that about being 21? And is that without dsa? I'm 26 and going to uni as I've been off sick from work since March and it was either try uni or life off benefits :-s

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was almost the exact same situation I was in when I started uni!

I went to my uni's Advice and Representation Centre - if you have anything similar available, make use of it as soon as possible!

IIRC, you can claim ESA as long as you send your course and Student Finance information (and are eligible for ESA anyway). If you're getting the full loan amount, the amount of ESA will be greatly reduced, but if you claim year-round you can continue to claim ESA over the summer - which your loan doesn't cover.

Again, I'd really recommend asking Student Support or similar if they offer any help to students dealing with benefits.With the Advice and Representation Centre, they work with benefits a lot and would be in a much better position to advise you than a forgetful person on the internet!

Quick Reply

Latest