The Student Room Group

Has immigration brought more homophobia to Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kevin6767
Poland may not provide benefits and social housing for them but they are legally entitled to claim the same as British citizens here. I would agree we are efficient in producing our own scum which I why I'm all in favour of leaving the EU and sending economic migrants like these back to Poland. Like you say we've our own scum to deal with, we don't need to scum of other countries making the situation worse. The very fact that parts of this country are having to deal with this sort of conflict again in the 21st century makes me feel physically sick. The fact that our democratically elected government is powerless to remove these sorts of people makes we wonder if we still truly live in a democracy. The fact that British people black, white or Asian are having to put up with this level of abuse from foreign economic migrants is intolerable.

The Polish people I socialize with have little to do with the scum you were unfortunate enough to experience. I'm glad you make that distinguishment as after all the majority of Poles are hard working individuals bereft of homophobic or white supremacist views that would harm other ethnic minorities. Exceptions should not make a rule, or impose a label, upon the majority.

However, at the same time let's make it clear that if someone was a homophobe or indeed a racist in their own country, it is only likely to worsen in a foreign one where they care little about their reputation and the well-being with their friends and/or family.

The connection between the level of skill and education and their potential views on these matters is evident. Poland is currently one of the most capitalist countries of the EU and let's face it the majority of successful people remained in Poland. There are no apologies; it's every man for himself since 89. Consider what would happen to the British unskilled and unemployed if their existential security was de facto endangered - they would have moved to continental Europe. Some of those "chavs" (I'm not entirely sure whether to use that word after readings Owen Jones' book) would cause similar trouble: would you like sharing reputation with them? Noone would. This is why I'm effectively defending the majority against those who cause troubles.

It's generally fairly obvious that middle classes/working classes of British, Polish or any other nationality are less likely to be racist than the underclass of British, Polish or any other nationality. Many people don't seem to ignore this empirical fact.

We only seem to disagree upon your proposed solution to the problem, and that is the EU debate. It's not only because I don't want the Polish version of "chavs" back in Poland, but a much wider socio-economic reasoning. As the original thread is about the correlation between immigration and homophobia I would prefer not to continue this discussion here.
Reply 41
Original post by peter12345
The irony is that they are homophobic because they were taught to be so by British colonial rulers. Therefore in a way you could say that the United Kingdom gave Jamaica the phrase "battyboy".

Although laws penalising homophobia were introduced by the British majority of West African tribes had homophobic attitudes, something that didn't disappear when they become slaves and was further moulded by their adoption of 'Christianity' and British colonial attitudes..
Original post by niceguy95
Yh keep on Blaming the immigrants

First their taking jobs, now this :laugh:

Sorry mate but you must be living in an alrernate world, some migrants bring in conservative anti-homosexual views, especially some conservative catholics from eastern Europe, he isn't blaming all migrants for homophobia he's just suggesting that they have these views.
the fact that you can't accept this is a bit baffling to be honest, I know gay people who have been verbally abused by polish students and asian students, believe me it isn't an urban myth.
Original post by WalkingTolerance
So the bottom line of your argument is basically that chavs of every country are stupid, inferior, not allowed to have an opinion and the bourgeois classes of the world should dress like you and make fun of them?

F**k you. Toff and a parasite.

Also, my country is pretty much conservative on these issues but immigration influx into UK isn't significant at all

I'm sorry but what planet are you on?? How is 2 million migrants from 2004 insignificant? Do you live in a hole?
Yes economic migrants bring great benefits, I'm not denying it, but to say 2 million migrants coming into the UK since 2004 is insignificant is just ignorant, in the south east of England and even in the north there is extra strain on the NHS no matter what any labour politician says, social housing is in crisis, schools are being stretched to the limit for places and the soft ass touch of our society allowing some, not all migrants to enter the UK without learning a word of English is increasing social tensions.

I'd like to reiterate again, I'm not racist, and migrants don't cause every single problem that this country face, but an influx of 2 million doesn't exactly help our current situation and ignoring it just shows how out of touch and unrealistic you are.
Reply 44
Original post by EvilOfficer
You have the picture of Nietzsche - a man who regarded himself a "Polish nobleman" and the Poles themselves as Übermensch in Thus Spoke Zarathustra.The irony.

The Ubermensch is a higher type of man, a man of inner strength, of good noble instinct. It has nothing to do with ethnicity or nation. Nietsche regarded himself as a Prussian nobleman, in fact as a "good European".
(edited 10 years ago)
Yh keep on Blaming the immigrants

First their taking jobs, now this :laugh:

Actually id say he has a point - the immigration does come from a lot of conservative (backwards) countries where religion is a strong part of thier culture - muslims for instance are vehemently opposed to homosexulaity. Though ive noticed in my time and having spoken with my best friend about it that the worst homophobia tends to come from those of african or jamaician descent even those who are not immigrant and were born in the UK
Original post by Andyrobbo1994
Sorry mate but you must be living in an alrernate world, some migrants bring in conservative anti-homosexual views, especially some conservative catholics from eastern Europe, he isn't blaming all migrants for homophobia he's just suggesting that they have these views.
the fact that you can't accept this is a bit baffling to be honest, I know gay people who have been verbally abused by polish students and asian students, believe me it isn't an urban myth.

whats the BNP views on being gay

why don't you talk about their homophobia,chose to ignore the bigots in this country.
Original post by silverbolt
Actually id say he has a point - the immigration does come from a lot of conservative (backwards) countries where religion is a strong part of thier culture - muslims for instance are vehemently opposed to homosexulaity. Though ive noticed in my time and having spoken with my best friend about it that the worst homophobia tends to come from those of african or jamaician descent even those who are not immigrant and were born in the UK

I would agree with that
whats the BNP views on being gay

why don't you talk about their homophobia,chose to ignore the bigots in this country.

The BNP are ignorant and moronic I know. Since when did I mention that I was ingnoring the bigots in the UK? This thread is about homophobic migrants, if you want to talk about right-wing groups make your own thread and stop making people go off topic.
The only way to destroy homophobia in every community is better education and community cohesiveness, that's the solution to both migrant homophobia and domestic homophobia.
Hello niceguy95
Look, you should not shrug the question off, it is a valid question even if you may not like the sound of it. It may not be playing the "blame game" it may be from personal experience / observation.
As it happens, I also believe that some immigration (poor quality) has led to a rise in homophobia in my home: London. It has contributed..
Levels of homophobia vary from country to country because of laws, culture, religion etc.
From my own experience I have noticed an unusually high number of homophobic individuals in my area recently. (Largely Christians from Africa. Not that it's relevant, but I am half African.) There is also a higher level of intolerance towards gay people in "Muslim countries". You can be killed.
Now i'm not saying anything more than what i'm saying. So, don't think i'm implying an entire group of people are homophobic or something..
I am sorry if it does not sound desirable/ nice but I have lived in London my whole life.
I pay close attention to homophobia (although I happen to be straight) I HATE discriminatory people.
Because I loved history as a subject. When I think about how women, black people, gay people, pagans, people with mental health issues suffered back in the day...
London is a big place though, in some parts of it people get on.. but in other parts of it... its... fragmented and... :s-smilie: concerning.
Not everything linked to immigration has been good. e.g. sex selective abortions, child exorcisms, FGM, forced marriages etc.
some of it is nice though: e.g. Chinese new year, different foods and festivals and music etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending