The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It went brilliant, although thats probably because it hasn't started yet. Have OCR Salters in an hour and a half. Cant wait.
Reply 2
edexcel chem 5 went pretty well for me.
Reply 3
i agree... unit 5 wasnt bad.. but i didnt like the rate question where they asked you to suggest a mechanism for A+B->AB3! i made up nonsense!
unit 4 was ok i think..althouhg i feel like i did better on unit 5..
Reply 4
Jesus christ food science was stupendous
Salters was ****, as per usual. Why o why do they always concentrate on one area of the exam. Isn't it meant to be testing my knowledge on all units which may come up in the paper? ******s
Reply 6
Unit 5 was OK, but had some tricky parts to it.

I thought the 24, DNPH question was evil. As was the question about A,B and the rate determining step, anyone got an answer for the AB one?

My calculation answers were...

k = 2 mol^-2 dm^6 s^-1
Ea = 107511k
37.3% Iron (II)
E cell = +1.59v

Comments?
Reply 7
Dal
i agree... unit 5 wasnt bad.. but i didnt like the rate question where they asked you to suggest a mechanism for A+B->AB3! i made up nonsense!
unit 4 was ok i think..althouhg i feel like i did better on unit 5..

:ditto:
Reply 8
I got 74.5% on the iron question
106 200 kJ mol^-1 for the activation energy

I thought it was quite a tricky paper though...how did everyone else feel bout it?
Reply 9
Clearvision
37.3% Iron (II)

Comments?

I got 74.5% :confused: All other answers are the same
Reply 10
on salters chemistry by materials, what did people get for the calculation question, for the H2O2 concentration?? :smile:
hmm how did i get 35.3%

8.04x10^-4 mol of Fe(II) ions...

6/278 mol of the tablets...

moles of Fe(II)/moles of tablets *100 = 35.3 ??? Must be wrong if two people have 74%..how did you get 74%?
---
And was your gradient something like 5625?

I obviously messed up my units for the Ea :-/

---

For the AB rate determining step question what did you put?

I put SN1 and put that the rate determining step depended on the conc of B. But that doesn't sound good to me, as the orders were 1 and 2(?) and SN1 involves 1 and 0. But it couldn't be sN2 as that doens't havea rate determining step and i couldn't think of any other relevant mechanisms.
Reply 12
tazzalc
I got 74.5% on the iron question
106 200 kJ mol^-1 for the activation energy

I thought it was quite a tricky paper though...how did everyone else feel bout it?

I got 110kJ mol-1

74.5% on the Fe question :smile:
uk6458
on salters chemistry by materials, what did people get for the calculation question, for the H2O2 concentration?? :smile:

The one about undiluted etc.. I got 0.09mols. Dont ask me how I got there :biggrin:
Reply 14
Clearvision
hmm how did i get 35.3%

8.04x10^-4 mol of Fe(II) ions...

6/278 mol of the tablets...

moles of Fe(II)/moles of tablets *100 = 35.3 ??? Must eb wrong if two people have 74%..how did you get 74%?
---
And was your gradient something like 5625?

I obviously messed up my units for the Ea :-/

Yeah my gradient was -5555 or something like that which is pretty similar.
Haha sorry, my gradient was negative.

Urgh explanation of the Iron question is needed :frown: Can't believe i messed up a calculation...

What did you put for the question about C=O and C=C and their respective mechanisms?

I think i got two marks talking about C=O being susceptible to nucleophilic attack and C=C electrophilic attack.

How many people know that 2,4,6 tribromophenol was a white ppt and the structure of the reacted form of 2,4DNPH?

I can't believe they put 2,4DNPH in unit 5 as it was in unit 4 for the first time in january.
Reply 16
Clearvision
Haha sorry, my gradient was negative.

Urgh explanation of the Iron question is needed :frown: Can't believe i messed up a calculation...

What did you put for the question about C=O and C=C and their respective mechanisms?

I think i got two marks talking about C=O being susceptible to nucleophilic attack and C=C electrophilic attack.

How many people know that 2,4,6 tribromophenol was a white ppt and the structure of the reacted form of 2,4DNPH?

I can't believe they put 2,4DNPH in unit 5 as it was in unit 4 for the first time in january.

Sorry can't help u with explanation of iron question. I can't remeber a thing, only the answer.

I also said that about the C=O and C=C. I said that C=C had a high electron density so was attacked by electrophiles. I also said that in the C=O bond, the O was polarising and made the C delta +ve which was therefore susceptible to attacks by nucleophiles.

I knew about the white ppt but sisn't know the structure for the 2,4-DNP.

I completely screwed up the one about NMR spectrum and their areas under the peaks!!!
Reply 17
Both papers were ok but im almost killing myself now. I got the % answer as 74.something i thought that my answer was wrong. I cut the method and did somehting crap and got 9% ... lost 5 marks which i could gain easily !!!!! argh !!!!
Unit 4 sounded easy to me, unit 5 was good but compared to pastpapers it was tricky, dont u guys think? Unit 5 pastpapers are much easy

Does anyone know the grade boundaries for unit 4 and 5?
Ne ways biology tmrw and i have no time to prepare for it :frown:
Hmm it was... 20.1cm^3 0.02moldm^-3 KMnO4 was needed to complete 20cm^3 of 6g of tablet made into 200/250cm^3 of solution.

The equation was a 1:5 ratio of KMnO4-Fe(II)?

Anyone care to have a go...

I actually think my answer was 37.2...rounded up to 37.3 so it could be i had half the actual answer, or something.

I thought it was tricky compared to PP's, but there was still alot of similair stuff in it, just a few different bits...that i struggled with :tongue:

I'm pretty sure they drop the grade boundries to about 75% for an A. Don't quote me on that though.
Reply 19
I wish they do clearvision.. i need exactly 80% on this paper ..damnnnn

Latest