The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Haha Prometheus did you get 100%?
Reply 61
lol no, i messed up the writing about the C==O/C==C bond because i said they were both subject to nuceuphilic attack (and also described one of the mechanisms as nucleophillic when it should have been electrophilic). And im sure i've made lots of other stupid mistakes.
Reply 62
Prometheus
Conditions not standard (i.e. in the car battery its gonna be hot cos of heat from engine)

damn ,should have went with my brain and not my guts . i wrote that the H(+) increases the electrical conductivity of the electrolyte thus higher E value
Reply 63
hey in my class we all seemed to get 15% for the iron question... but suppose its wrong. Anyone REALLY hates chemistry and is REALLY happy of having finished it? (even though we still have the sypnotic to go....)

for the A+ 3B i wrote electrolic addistion, the 2,4 DNP thing, i think it was a test for aldehydes/ketones and a red precipitate was formed. C==O forms permanent dipole... can attract things.. C==C just opnes double bond to form new bonds...

VERY DIFFICULT PAPER THOUGH... glad there was a q. on recrystallisation....
Drive Fast Car ForWarD -->
D= Dissolve in hot solvent,
F= filter preheated fluted funnel
C= cool
F= Refilter using buchner funnel
W= Wash
D= Dry

Imperial--> Aeronautical Eng firm AAB
Loughborough ..> automotive eng. insurance AA
Reply 64
Im glad chemistry is kind of over but a little bit annoyed too. I some silly mistakes and besides even getting the answer, i crossed it..
Wat bout Kc in unit 4? Its jus me n smashing dude hu got 0.49? all the others got different answers in my class !
Do u guys knwo the grade boundaries? Is an A around 55 - 60 out of 75 !!! ??
Reply 65
lesmes
hey in my class we all seemed to get 15% for the iron question... but suppose its wrong. Anyone REALLY hates chemistry and is REALLY happy of having finished it? (even though we still have the sypnotic to go....)

for the A+ 3B i wrote electrolic addistion, the 2,4 DNP thing, i think it was a test for aldehydes/ketones and a red precipitate was formed. C==O forms permanent dipole... can attract things.. C==C just opnes double bond to form new bonds...

VERY DIFFICULT PAPER THOUGH... glad there was a q. on recrystallisation....
Drive Fast Car ForWarD -->
D= Dissolve in hot solvent,
F= filter preheated fluted funnel
C= cool
F= Refilter using buchner funnel
W= Wash
D= Dry

Imperial--> Aeronautical Eng firm AAB
Loughborough ..> automotive eng. insurance AA

A+3B i think its Sn2 nucleophilic/electrophilic addition
red precipitate Cu20 (copper I oxide) shows that it is an aldehyde homologous
C=0 electronegatity of oxygen atom greater so attracts pair of electrons to oxygen atom, so it becomes polar.
Reply 66
dunno hope so, n i've just realised i missread table in U5 on rate, so got A as second order and B as first instead of other way around. Hopefully ill get some error carried forward cos all the other questions on that question were based on that answer, otherwise in f-d in the a.
yeh, salters was a right pig. Was full of weirdo questions asked in strange roundabout ways!. I think i put [Fe(H2O)6]3+ for the red water ion - really didnt get that bit though!

Got the 0.910 or whatever it was..and the solution was unsuitable right? Didnt like the Tg question, or that titration one - i hadnt a clue!!!! and why paper chromatography?!? I thought chromatography was in CD?!
Prometheus
dunno hope so, n i've just realised i missread table in U5 on rate, so got A as second order and B as first instead of other way around. Hopefully ill get some error carried forward cos all the other questions on that question were based on that answer, otherwise in f-d in the a.

Haha, I almost fell for that. They changed the conc. of B first, and they asked the order of A first in the part. I ALMOST fell for that one.
oh, and for the ionic equation, did you guys do complexes, or just Fe3+ + 3OH- sorta thing? i want sure
usman_s
Im glad chemistry is kind of over but a little bit annoyed too. I some silly mistakes and besides even getting the answer, i crossed it..
Wat bout Kc in unit 4? Its jus me n smashing dude hu got 0.49? all the others got different answers in my class !
Do u guys knwo the grade boundaries? Is an A around 55 - 60 out of 75 !!! ??

6.9 x 10-4....
In that Kc question, Did you have to divide the number of moles at equilibrium by 20 dm^-3 to get the concentration and then calculate Kc?
Reply 72
In that Kc question, Did you have to divide the number of moles at equilibrium by 20 dm^-3 to get the concentration and then calculate Kc?
Yeh

Yes...
Reply 74
Yes, just like any other Kc calculation.
manthi
Yes, just like any other Kc calculation.

Just making sure, you dont need to die.
Reply 76
Arghhhhhh Edexcel keep tricking me, lets see how much they like it when i trick them into not thinking I've let a bear into their headquaters. (Yes, Edexcel have a headquarters)
Reply 77
What were the two reasons for using ethanoyl chloride to make an ester instead of ibuprofen? One reason is that it need not be heated, but whats the other?
Reply 78
Why
Just making sure, you dont need to die.

Eh? Didnt intend any offence there mate...:confused:
guys this is so confusing.
they are talking about 3 exams on this thread and most ppl are not saying which one. i hope there's already a separate edexcel unit 5 one.

edit: yea there is.
allow this thread.

Latest