The Student Room Group

PhD in Theoretical Physics in the UK - Tips?

I'm shocked that if I want to take my PhD abroad (from Portugal) I have to apply about now (for most places, at least). Since I don't feel prepared to make such a decision right now, I think I'll just apply everywhere (I find interesting) and decide once and if I get accepted.

That being the case, the UK is a natural choice. I'm currently working on cosmological defects for my master thesis, and have done some work on astrophysical tests of fundamental physics, so I'm thinking I may want to work on these areas for my PhD as well. Mathematical Physics and mathematical foundations of Quantum Mechanics are also among topics I'd fancy working on. I have a more than good enough mark in an international English exam (IELTS), so I think whether I get accepted anywhere will only have to do with my curriculum, letter of motivation, letters of recommendation, etc. I have good marks (I'm not sure how you grade things in the UK, but my average mark is about 18/20) and have been lucky enough to get an article published in PRD by the end of my undergraduate degree. I'd like to know whether you think I might have a serious chance of entering any of the following top institutions (and whether you know of any other which you think might be good for me as well - I don't know that many, as you can see):

- Cambridge (I'm starting with Cambridge because I've fantasised about being able to go there since I was fairly little, although I hadn't been taking the possibility seriously until recently; I haven't sit - nor am I going to - the Tripos, but I think I can present a recommendation by a researcher who is still affiliated there, and I think has pretty good connections there - and spends a fair amount of time working there as well)

- Imperial College of London

- Oxford

I'd also be really nice if you knew how easy it is to get a scholarship or some sort of financial help in those institutions (since living in the UK is a lot more expensive than living around here).

Thank you very much for your help.
Reply 1
If you're willing to come to the UK from portugal, why not instead go a bit further and try for post grad studies in the US? Post grad in the UK really isn't that great and I'm saying this as a Brit.
Reply 2
Original post by wig44
If you're willing to come to the UK from portugal, why not instead go a bit further and try for post grad studies in the US? Post grad in the UK really isn't that great and I'm saying this as a Brit.

Not sure if serious. Our PhD's on average tend to be a lot quicker to do here compared to the US which has obvious advantages. On the sciences at least. I have plenty of US postgrad friends who preferred here for that reason. A PhD from the UK is also highy respected over the world.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi OP are you planning on applying for your PhD with the astronomy department then or the maths department of cambridge? As I recall the maths department there don't like handing out PhD offer to those who haven't done part III of maths tripos.
Reply 4
Original post by wig44

are you a Brit who's done a PhD?
Reply 5
Original post by Fat-Love
Not sure if serious. Our PhD's on average tend to be a lot quicker to do here compared to the US which has obvious advantages. On the sciences at least. I have plenty of US postgrad friends who preferred here for that reason. A PhD from the UK is also highy respected over the world.

If he wants to use his PhD for employment then he'll have no problems with a PhD from the UK. If he wants to go in to research he'd be better off somewhere else. Let's not fool ourselves in to pretending that the UK puts out anywhere near the quantity or calibre of research that the US or China put out and a PhD from a top US uni is better respected in the US than from a top UK uni. I don't like it either, but the top US unis are ahead of ours.

Not that I'd want to live in China or the US!
Reply 6
Original post by wig44

I'd say there is no academic institution in the world with a significantly better international reputation than those brittish institutions. There are equally respectable institutions in the US, and I may consider them (as I am considering some in other countries; still, this site wouldn't be the best for discussing that, I suppose) but I am honestly very reluctant to go to the US due to my disliking some aspects of american culture (fanaticism and such - although I've met very likable americans).

I can tell you I am sure a PhD in a good university in the UK would assure me a good job in the future.
The US is a better choice, for two reasons:

1. If you're serious about academia, and you seem to be, you spend longer doing a PhD and so are more competitive for jobs at the end. More courses, more publications, more experience.

2. Unlike the Britain their system is based around 'private' funding - you receive some research or teaching position that pays you a decent salary. In Britain it's set up around receiving grants from state funding councils. Since you are not a resident the chances are you qualify for very little funding in Britain.

Original post by wig44
If he wants to use his PhD for employment then he'll have no problems with a PhD from the UK. If he wants to go in to research he'd be better off somewhere else. Let's not fool ourselves in to pretending that the UK puts out anywhere near the quantity or calibre of research that the US or China put out and a PhD from a top US uni is better respected in the US than from a top UK uni. I don't like it either, but the top US unis are ahead of ours.

China? They're certainly producing a lot of people but that's the first time I've heard anything good about the average quality.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi OP are you planning on applying for your PhD with the astronomy department then or the maths department of cambridge? As I recall the maths department there don't like handing out PhD offer to those who haven't done part III of maths tripos.

Maths. That's what I'm worried about. I was hoping my recommendation letter (from my current advisor, whose kind of relation with Cambridge I have described - he was a PhD student of a "higher up" there, with whom he still collaborates) could make up for that - well, that and having managed to publish in PRD (first author :tongue:).
Reply 9
Original post by wig44

Not that I'd want to live in China or the US!

I'd say it depends on the area. And I'd also say above a certain level these discussions become very subjective. In my country, no american university is regarded as superior to Cambridge or Oxford.
Reply 10
Let's put it this way: I appreciate your concern, but I'll probably apply for positions in both countries (as well as Swiss, Canada, and perhaps a few more). If I get accepted in both and have doubts I may ask such questions, but right now I'm interested in knowing how I likely it is that I get accepted in top brittish institutions.
Reply 11
Original post by wig44

I would argue the exact opposite:
-shorter
-no need to teach
-no lectures
Reply 12
Original post by Theophile
I would argue the exact opposite:
-shorter
-no need to teach
-no lectures

As I've said, I really don't want that to be the topic, but I must say teaching is something I enjoy and I don't have a problem with lectures. However, being shorter is a great advantage from the point of view of someone who, like me, is considering a rather short career abroad before settling at home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending