The Student Room Group

ESA support group

I've just got a letter saying I've been put into the ESA support group category, and was just wondering if anyone could give their experiences of what support you can expect to actually get?

I'm planning on doing some volunteering for a few months before looking to get an actual job (health permitting), so at first I'll mostly be wanting advice from them on whether certain volunteering positions are permitted without affecting my benefits, then help on getting a part-time job and again knowing what will affect my benefits and how.

So yeah, are these people generally helpful in providing information and support, or should I expect to mostly be on my own?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
You don't have to do anything. You can ask to be contacted by an adviser with a view to getting work ready.

I currently receive no support. I was contacted by the work programme (I was with them whilst on JSA) and was asked if I wanted support from them. I declined this; as they have no idea about my disabilities (they told me they can't be that bad if I've just been diagnosed - one can come on at any time) and have no idea how to deal with disabled people.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
You don't have to do anything. You can ask to be contacted by an adviser with a view to getting work ready.

I currently receive no support. I was contacted by the work programme (I was with them whilst on JSA) and was asked if I wanted support from them. I declined this; as they have no idea about my disabilities (they told me they can't be that bad if I've just been diagnosed - one can come on at any time) and have no idea how to deal with disabled people.

Thanks for answering. :smile: I know I don't *need* to do anything, however I'm hoping to receive some support should I ask for it. I suspect you may be right though and that they won't be particularly mindful of my health problems (depression which has large knock-on effects on my ability to function 'normally'). Be nice if someone comes along with more positive experiences though!
Reply 3
Original post by superwolf
Thanks for answering. :smile: I know I don't *need* to do anything, however I'm hoping to receive some support should I ask for it. I suspect you may be right though and that they won't be particularly mindful of my health problems (depression which has large knock-on effects on my ability to function 'normally'). Be nice if someone comes along with more positive experiences though!

I don't know of anyone in the support group who has asked for help. More often than not, their disabilities are too serious to even think about work.

If you did ask for help, it sounds as though you'd be put on the work programme. I think if you decided a few months later it's not for you, you can be sanctioned.
Reply 4
I don't know of anyone in the support group who has asked for help. More often than not, their disabilities are too serious to even think about work.

If you did ask for help, it sounds as though you'd be put on the work programme. I think if you decided a few months later it's not for you, you can be sanctioned.

Good points, cynically realistically made! :tongue: When the time comes I'll be suitably wary of letting them interpret 'I'd quite like to get a part-time job at some point' as 'I've probably been lying to you the entire time and should be thrown off benefits ASAP!'
Reply 5
I also can't say that I have heard of anyone on ESA receiving any meaningful help (apart from the financial assistance, of course). A friend of mine, who'd worked for quite a few years, wanted advice on retraining for when he's well enough to work again. He can't physically continue with his old profession. Unfortunately, they didn't have any helpful suggestions for him. Most they came up with were classes in English, Maths and IT for beginners at the Community College, but he doesn't need any help with those. They offered training in CV writing, but he's not ready for work yet, or confidence-building classes that were far away and he's not lacking in confidence! So yeah, that seemed to be the limit.

It's good that those options are available, but on the whole, they appear to be tailored towards those without much knowledge or education - helpful for those who need that little boost, but not for people who already know the basics, or more. It's not geared up for individual circumstances and career paths, either.

It is worthwhile asking about voluntary work, though. I'm pretty certain that it is permitted, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck, OP. You have a very positive attitude, and I hope you can get back to work soon :smile:.
Reply 6
Original post by Kittiara
I also can't say that I have heard of anyone on ESA receiving any meaningful help (apart from the financial assistance, of course). A friend of mine, who'd worked for quite a few years, wanted advice on retraining for when he's well enough to work again. He can't physically continue with his old profession. Unfortunately, they didn't have any helpful suggestions for him. Most they came up with were classes in English, Maths and IT for beginners at the Community College, but he doesn't need any help with those. They offered training in CV writing, but he's not ready for work yet, or confidence-building classes that were far away and he's not lacking in confidence! So yeah, that seemed to be the limit.

Sounds like what I was offered whilst on JSA.
Reply 7
Sounds like what I was offered whilst on JSA.

Seems like that is the basic support package they have available, then. It would be nice if there was more individual advice available. I reckon that there must be quite a few people on ESA who are looking to retrain/enter the voluntary field.

Guess it's all down to cost.
Reply 8
Original post by Kittiara

It's good that those options are available, but on the whole, they appear to be tailored towards those without much knowledge or education - helpful for those who need that little boost, but not for people who already know the basics, or more. It's not geared up for individual circumstances and career paths, either.

It is worthwhile asking about voluntary work, though. I'm pretty certain that it is permitted, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck, OP. You have a very positive attitude, and I hope you can get back to work soon :smile:.

Thanks for the info about your friend and for your comments. :smile: Hope your friend manages to get back into a good job soon.
Reply 9
Original post by superwolf
Thanks for the info about your friend and for your comments. :smile: Hope your friend manages to get back into a good job soon.

Thanks :smile:. And my apologies. I babbled on about my friend, which is not very relevant to you. The incompetency of the DWP tends to get me going on a bit :colondollar:.

Quick Reply

Latest