The Student Room Group

Space Engineering Discussion

I am currently a student studying in Space Engineering in the UK.

Since I noticed there is a lacking of threads discussing this subject when I was applying last year, I want to open this space for those who are applying for space engineering / wishing to involve in space sector here.

Feel free to ask me any questions :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by fcting
I am currently a student studying in Space Engineering in the UK.

Since I noticed there is a lacking of threads discussing this subject when I was applying last year, I want to open this space for those who are applying for space engineering / wishing to involve in space sector here.

Feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

Can you reccomend some good courses for people who want to work in space engineering?

When do you need to be getting in touch with employers about placements?

Are there any apprenticeships?
Reply 2
For space specific courses, there are plenty of choices:

Surrey MSc Space Engineering: They are the only university in the UK that have sent satellite(s) in the UK. With strong support and foundation from SSTL (one of the largest space companies in the UK, once a uni-spin off satellite company, now under Airbus), the course is rock solid and practical.

Cranfield MSc Astro & Space Engineering: Cranfield has a long heritage in teaching aerospace stuffs. Their employment outcomes are the best under my little statistical research in LinkedIn. One of the most important things is, it is accredited by RAeS, which is a crucial towards your Engineering Chartership.

Southampton MEng Aero & Astro / MSc Space System Engineering (that’s where I’m): Also accredited by RAeS and (IMechE as well for Soton), the research group involves with Space Industry and ESA, so the teaching materials are actually drawn from those examples. And they are highly good at spacecraft propulsion as a satellite featured their deorbit thrusters, was launched back in the beginning of this year.

Also, notable mention for completeness:

UCL MSc Space Science and Technology: Top 10 Uni in the world, brand name things you know. Their courses are supported by MSSL (one of the most advance astronomies facilitate/groups in the world). So, their specialization in Space Instrumentation is something you will learn from the course. And of course, they worked with ESA before for Euclid’s camera.

Strathclyde MSc Satellite Data and sustainable development: Some say it gets lots of funding in research because of the spaceports in Scotland.

Birmingham MSc Space System Engineering: This course is new this year so little do I know from.

Leicester MSc Spacecraft Engineering: They involved in UK Mars Mission. But I don’t know much

Open U MSc Space Engineering: They also involve in Euclid. But same, I don’t know much.

In fact, due to the highly overlapping with aerospace, a degree related to aerospace can get you into space industry. But of course, doing a specializing degree in space engineering may give you a upper hand.

For Interns/placements, check out “space career .com” or “SPIN”. I know somebody starts looking for jobs at the start of Sem A, while most of the grad scheme will appear on Oct, Nov and Dec. Apprenticeship is not under my main radar, but I remember there is.

Hope this all helps and feel free to add more 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by fcting
For space specific courses, there are plenty of choices:

Surrey MSc Space Engineering: They are the only university in the UK that have sent satellite(s) in the UK. With strong support and foundation from SSTL (one of the largest space companies in the UK, once a uni-spin off satellite company, now under Airbus), the course is rock solid and practical.

Cranfield MSc Astro & Space Engineering: Cranfield has a long heritage in teaching aerospace stuffs. Their employment outcomes are the best under my little statistical research in LinkedIn. One of the most important things is, it is accredited by RAeS, which is a crucial towards your Engineering Chartership.

Southampton MEng Aero & Astro / MSc Space System Engineering (that’s where I’m): Also accredited by RAeS and (IMechE as well for Soton), the research group involves with Space Industry and ESA, so the teaching materials are actually drawn from those examples. And they are highly good at spacecraft propulsion as a satellite featured their deorbit thrusters, was launched back in the beginning of this year.

Also, notable mention for completeness:

UCL MSc Space Science and Technology: Top 10 Uni in the world, brand name things you know. Their courses are supported by MSSL (one of the most advance astronomies facilitate/groups in the world). So, their specialization in Space Instrumentation is something you will learn from the course. And of course, they worked with ESA before for Euclid’s camera.

Strathclyde MSc Satellite Data and sustainable development: Some say it gets lots of funding in research because of the spaceports in Scotland.

Birmingham MSc Space System Engineering: This course is new this year so little do I know from.

Leicester MSc Spacecraft Engineering: They involved in UK Mars Mission. But I don’t know much

Open U MSc Space Engineering: They also involve in Euclid. But same, I don’t know much.

In fact, due to the highly overlapping with aerospace, a degree related to aerospace can get you into space industry. But of course, doing a specializing degree in space engineering may give you a upper hand.

For Interns/placements, check out “space career .com” or “SPIN”. I know somebody starts looking for jobs at the start of Sem A, while most of the grad scheme will appear on Oct, Nov and Dec. Apprenticeship is not under my main radar, but I remember there is.

Hope this all helps and feel free to add more 🙂

Oh, and do you all play Kerbal space program :unsure:
Hi, great thread!
Just wanted to add to what @fcting has already said.

At Cranfield, our MSc Astronautics and Space Engineering course is directed by an Industrial Advisory Panel which includes representatives from Airbus DS, Open Cosmos, Tele****io, Oxford Space Systems, UK Launch Services Ltd and Eumetsat. This panel ensures that the course content equips you with the skills and knowledge required by leading employers. It is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) on behalf of the Engineering Council.

Our graduates are regularly recruited by organisations including EADS Astrium, SSTL, Vega, ABSL, Tessella, OHB, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and the European Space Agency in roles including Systems Engineer, Spacecraft Operations Engineer, Thermal Analyst and Space Robotics Engineer. We arrange company visits and interview days with key employers.

The facilities at Cranfield are exceptional. We are the only university in Europe with our own airport and runway. You will have the opportunity to fly during a Student Experience Flight in our National Flying Laboratory Centre’s (NFLC) light aircraft. This flight experience will complement your MSc studies, focussing on the effects of control, spatial disorientation and the effects of “G” forces. During the flight you will have the opportunity to take control of the aircraft. Each experience is 2 to 3 hours in duration and includes a pre-flight safety briefing outlining the details of the manoeuvres to be flown, a flight of approximately 1 hour, and a post-flight debrief.

Check out our amazing student society 'Cranfield Students for the Exploration and Development of Space':
Home (cranseds.co.uk)
They compete in annual rocketry, satellite, and rover competitions at a national and international level.

You might also be interested in the 'Early application discount' that ends soon. Apply by 28 March 2024 and you could be eligible for a 5% discount on your tuition fees.
Astronautics and Space Engineering MSc (cranfield.ac.uk)

Gemma
2nd Year PhD (Environment & Agrifood)
Student Ambassador
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest