The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Thinking of doing the 6 marker questions first in the exam
Is anyone else going to do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by walkers38
Stabilising selection
It occurs in unchanging environment. In this selection, value around the mean is best adapted. And the extremes are selected against. Mean is unaltered, range is reduced. This is repeated over many generations. Eventually increasing proportion of population become well adapted to the environment.

Directional selection
Mutation causes variation within members of population. So, there is selection for one extreme. Only that better adapted extreme will survive and reproduce and pass on alleles to their offspring. This leads to mean value shifting to left or right depending on which extreme has been selected for.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Henn

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah me too, my teacher always told us since we started AS to always do the longer questions at the end first.
Original post by chemistrykid123
How is everyone revising from past papers are doing them then learning the mark scheme or leaving out some questions etc?

I've just been going through all the AQA papers and doing all the questions, I tend to leave out some parts of question 7 that I don't think will be helpful, things like why newts eat the toads or whatever because that's not really going to be relevant.
Reply 584
Original post by Magenta96
yeah me too, my teacher always told us since we started AS to always do the longer questions at the end first.

Yeah, that way I won't be stressed that I won't have enough time for the questions at the back which are easy marks, better to have them in the bag first!
What about the essay in bio5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Henn
Yeah, that way I won't be stressed that I won't have enough time for the questions at the back which are easy marks, better to have them in the bag first!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always struggle with time also because I like to read every little thing in detail, and double check which makes me run out of time! I think it might be better to do the synoptic essay last, again, my teacher goes that have a look at the titles for the essay first, THEN go do the question paper and while you're doing it loads of ideas should come into your head and just keep writing them all down in the plan, then do the essay at the end. :smile:
Original post by Henn

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll read the essay questions first then do some of the questions so I'm thinking biology before deciding which one I'll do. I'll gradually add to the plan whilst I'm doing the paper. I'm not normally pushed for time (not being arrogant I just work quickly) so fingers crossed the essay is nice and I can get a lot down.
Original post by Henn

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, my exact plan!
Reply 588
I have to read the question like 3 times to come up with decent answers :frown:
but thanks ! I shall do that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jacksw
oooh him/her! I used those notes for a previous unit, totally forgot about this.

Thank you. :smile:

Hi! I was just looking at the scienceisgood thread again, and I remember you felt the worksheets on there were not really that relevant to our specification, have you tried the old spec papers on there? They're actually pretty similar to our specification and they're really useful too so just thought I'd let you know. :smile:

Here's the link again:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2176162
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 590
Hi! I was just looking at the scienceisgood thread again, and I remember you felt the worksheets on there were not really that relevant to our specification, have you tried the old spec papers on there? They're actually pretty similar to our specification and they're really useful too so just thought I'd let you know. :smile:

Here's the link again:

Thanks. It's kind of ironic looking at papers from 2007, because if I had chosen to do Biology when I was at college, these would have been the papers I would have done! Deff going to have a look through them :smile: I feel so old!

Here's the link again:

ive done 2 legacy papers so far
Reply 592
Original post by The_Blade

Legacy papers?
Original post by jacksw
Legacy papers?

2006-2009
Anyone please please explain june 11 q5 unot 4 so confused by it. Thanks! !
Original post by The_Blade

So are the legacy papers like these papers? I think these ones are a bit different to those on the AQA site for 2009 and below.
(edited 9 years ago)
So are the legacy papers like these papers? I think these ones are a bit different to those on the AQA site for 2009 and below.

The blade is a friend, he has trouble in social situations and choses awkward words. Last specification is what he means

Posted from TSR Mobile
As of 11 this morning I completed all of my A Levels apart from Biology, so some cramming for Bio is needed now :tongue:
Reply 598
How do you show that a gene is not on the x chromosome?

Hey you always have to give evidence for the gene not being on the X chromosome in pedigree charts I always remember the phrase "like father like daughter" if it is sex linked the daughter will have the condition and the father will have the condition . If it isn't sex linked then the father may have the condition but the daughter(s) may not. This is because the the father can only give on X chromosome to his daughter and if the allele for the condition is on the X chromosome then he will pass it on! Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have an idea what the mini essays at the back are going to be about? Hope it's on ecology or something

Latest

Trending

Trending