The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SchoolKid.
Can someone help me and explain to me the difference between the electron transport chain in photosynthesis and respiration? I don't even know if they are different or the same thing.

The difference is that in photosynthesis the electrons are moving due to the energy input of light while in respiration the electrons were lent to the ETC by the NADH. Another difference is that in photosynthesis the primary electron acceptor is NADPH and in cellular respiration it is oxygen.

The similarities are that they both make ATP and they both have the process of chemiosmosis and the electrons moving down the concentration gradient.
Can someone help me and explain to me the difference between the electron transport chain in photosynthesis and respiration? I don't even know if they are different or the same thing.

To add to the explanation you're already received here is full detail.

Non-cyclic photophosphorylation
Non cyclic photophosphorylation produces ATP, reduced NADP and oxygen.
- Light is absorbed by photosystem II and electrons in chlorophyll become excited
- These electrons are accepted by an electron acceptor
- Consequently photosystem II is electron deficient (See photolysis)
- The electrons are passed down an ETC: the energy released is used to make ATP from ADP and Pi
- Light also hits photosystem I also exciting electrons.
- To replace the e- lost photosystem I absorbs the two electrons from photosystem II
- The energy released and the e- from photosystem II are used to reduce NADP to NADPH

Oxidative phosphorylation
Electron Transport chain
1) The ETC is formed from a series of proteins, bound in the inner mitochondrial membrane. The cristae maximises the surface area of this membrane and this increases the rate of ATP production
2) Reduced NAD (NADH), produced in the matrix during the Krebs cycle, is oxidised by the first protein in the ETC: NADH dehydrogenase. This produces a proton (H+) and NAD+ along with two electrons that bind to the protein.
3) The electrons are now passed between the ETC proteins in a series of redox reactions. As they move they lose energy. Some of this is used to pump H+ ions from the matrix into the intermembrane space; the rest is lost as heat.
4) As the inner mitochondrial membrane is impermeable to H+ ions, a concentration gradient forms
5) H+ ions move down their concentration gradient into the matrix using protein channels. These are associated with the enzyme ATP synthase, which phosphorylates one ADP for each H+ ion passing through it.
The use of energy in a chemical gradient to generate ATP by the flow of hydrogen ions through ATP synthase is called chemiosmosis.
6) The final protein in the ETC (cytochrome oxidase) donates the electron pair to the oxygen atom. Oxygen is the final proton and electron accepter as it binds with the H+ ions in the matrix to form water
1/2 O2 + 2H+ + 2e- --> H2O
7) The donation of the electrons to the oxygen molecule releases enough energy to pump another H+ ion across the membrane. This can be used to regenerate another molecule of ATP.

Reduced FAD (FADH2) is also oxidised by the ETC; however it interacts with the second protein in the chain. This means that is causes less H+ to be pumped into the intermembrane space than NADH, so regenerates less ATP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finding the inclusion of key marking words a lot more difficult this year for some reason,
Oh well, I think I have it under control,
4 exams next week through, so Biol5 might well suffer as a result,
Good Luck guys
Original post by ΘTheta
Directional selection, I believe.
There is a selection pressure against the recessive allele, meaning that the opposite extreme (compared to recessive allele extreme) is being selected for. The allelic frequency of the recessive allele decreases as time goes on. On a normal distribution curve, the mean will be moving to the side opposite the recessive allele side.
Am I right? What did the mark scheme say?
:smile:

Thanks everyone, yes I said that in my question what the answer is! It is directional. I just didn't understand why until now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eloades11
Thanks for the good luck :smile: but I've just finished a degree in Biology :biggrin:

Wow thats really awesome :smile: Congratulations on your degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm getting quite worried about BIOL4 now. How is everyone else revising at the moment?
Original post by rwilliams5

Omg you're a genius. Till now I never really understood chemiosmosis. Just repped you.

Non-cyclic photophosphorylation
Non cyclic photophosphorylation produces ATP, reduced NADP and oxygen.
- Light is absorbed by photosystem II and electrons in chlorophyll become excited
- These electrons are accepted by an electron acceptor
- Consequently photosystem II is electron deficient (See photolysis)
- The electrons are passed down an ETC: the energy released is used to make ATP from ADP and Pi
- Light also hits photosystem I also exciting electrons.
- To replace the e- lost photosystem I absorbs the two electrons from photosystem II
- The energy released and the e- from photosystem II are used to reduce NADP to NADPH

Oxidative phosphorylation
Electron Transport chain
1) The ETC is formed from a series of proteins, bound in the inner mitochondrial membrane. The cristae maximises the surface area of this membrane and this increases the rate of ATP production
2) Reduced NAD (NADH), produced in the matrix during the Krebs cycle, is oxidised by the first protein in the ETC: NADH dehydrogenase. This produces a proton (H+) and NAD+ along with two electrons that bind to the protein.
3) The electrons are now passed between the ETC proteins in a series of redox reactions. As they move they lose energy. Some of this is used to pump H+ ions from the matrix into the intermembrane space; the rest is lost as heat.
4) As the inner mitochondrial membrane is impermeable to H+ ions, a concentration gradient forms
5) H+ ions move down their concentration gradient into the matrix using protein channels. These are associated with the enzyme ATP synthase, which phosphorylates one ADP for each H+ ion passing through it.
The use of energy in a chemical gradient to generate ATP by the flow of hydrogen ions through ATP synthase is called chemiosmosis.
6) The final protein in the ETC (cytochrome oxidase) donates the electron pair to the oxygen atom. Oxygen is the final proton and electron accepter as it binds with the H+ ions in the matrix to form water
1/2 O2 + 2H+ + 2e- --> H2O
7) The donation of the electrons to the oxygen molecule releases enough energy to pump another H+ ion across the membrane. This can be used to regenerate another molecule of ATP.

Reduced FAD (FADH2) is also oxidised by the ETC; however it interacts with the second protein in the chain. This means that is causes less H+ to be pumped into the intermembrane space than NADH, so regenerates less ATP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by walkers38
The difference is that in photosynthesis the electrons are moving due to the energy input of light while in respiration the electrons were lent to the ETC by the NADH. Another difference is that in photosynthesis the primary electron acceptor is NADPH and in cellular respiration it is oxygen.

The similarities are that they both make ATP and they both have the process of chemiosmosis and the electrons moving down the concentration gradient.

Thank you so much :smile:

This is really helpful.

Just one more thing is reduced NAD the same as NADH?
(edited 9 years ago)
Omg you're a genius. Till now I never really understood chemiosmosis. Just repped you.

Haha thanks, if I was a genius I wouldn't be scared for my exams though :/ hope it made sense to you because I confuse myself with too much detail sometimes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lllllllllll
I'm getting quite worried about BIOL4 now. How is everyone else revising at the moment?

I'm just re-reading my notes-cum-model answers. That's it. I feel so unprepared. I have done the papers already. But tomorrow I might try some old spec papers. I just don't know how else to prepare. I don't want to focus too much on application questions because they differ every year anyway.
Original post by lllllllllll

I've written up all my notes so if you have any particularly areas you want help in feel free to ask. Now I'm just doing past papers and looking over mark schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is reduced NAD the same as NADH?

Yes! If you run out of time in exam, just write the H version, its much quicker lol
Thank you so much :smile:

This is really helpful.

Just one more thing is reduced NAD the same as NADH?

Yes reduced NAD is NADH, sorry for my abbreviations! Glad to help though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've written up all my notes so if you have any particularly areas you want help in feel free to ask. Now I'm just doing past papers and looking over mark schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you tell me about speciation, how it actually works. And what's geographical isolation, I sometimes see them in the mark scheme, sometimes I don't.
Original post by Jaydude
Thanks everyone, yes I said that in my question what the answer is! It is directional. I just didn't understand why until now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did the MS say write about the explanation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just re-reading my notes-cum-model answers. That's it. I feel so unprepared. I have done the papers already. But tomorrow I might try some old spec papers. I just don't know how else to prepare. I don't want to focus too much on application questions because they differ every year anyway.

I'm panicking over BIOL4. I'll just do whatever I can with revision tomorrow. Remember there's always the specimen papers to do :smile:
Can you tell me about speciation, how it actually works. And what's geographical isolation, I sometimes see them in the mark scheme, sometimes I don't.

I apologise in advance for the length of this....

Speciation is the evolution of a new species from existing species.
A species is a group of individuals that share similar genes and are capable of breeding with one another to produce fertile offspring. In other words they belong to the same gene pool.

Geographical isolation
Geographical isolation occurs when a physical barrier prevents two populations from breeding with one another

Such barriers include oceans, rivers, mountain ranges and deserts.
Allopatric speciation
The first step is taken when groups of organisms of the same species become separated from each other so that the gene flow is stopped.
The two groups are prevented from interbreeding because of some physical barrier.
Over a long period of time, due to differing natural selection pressures and the recombination of genes the two groups would produce different phenotypes.
Each population becomes adapted to its local conditions.
These differences may eventually become so great that the two groups may no longer be able to interbreed even if the physical barrier is removed.

Sympatric speciation
This occurs between populations occupying the same or adjacent geographical areas
That is a genetically unique group arises in a population and occupies a niche within the same environment.
The divergence from the main group arises because this new group is reproductively isolated from the rest.
It is thought that random chromosome changes occurring in some organisms produce rapid physiological and reproductive differences from the main population

Overview
Populations that are geographically separated will experience slightly different conditions. The populations will experience different selective pressures and so different changes in allele frequencies:
- Different alleles will be more advantageous in the different populations, so natural selection occurs. Directional selection will then act on the alleles changing the frequency of the allele
- Allele frequencies will also change as mutations will occur independently within each population.

The changes in allele frequency will lead to differences accumulating in the gene pools of the separated populations, causing changes in phenotype frequencies. Eventually individuals from the different populations will have changed so much that they won't be able to breed with one another to produce fertile offspring - they will have become reproductively isolated.

NOTE
Mutations within separated populations also bring in other alleles
You do not need to know the difference between sympatric and allopatric

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
By the way, does anyone pull a whole-nighter during exams?
By the way, does anyone pull a whole-nighter during exams?

No I rely on sleep to function properly I say looking at the clock realising I have to be up in 7 hours....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, I think I found another question that's similar to what you guys were inititally discussing about.

Describe how ATP is synthesised in oxidative phosphorylation. (Remember this is respiration, because the ETC in photosynthesis is photo-phosphorylation)

- Electrons release energy as they pass down the electron transport chain
- Energy used to combine ADP and Pi to form ATP
- Protons move into intermembrane space of the mitochondria by active transport
- Protons diffuse into mitochondrial matrix through ATP synthase
- By chemiosmosis

So yeah, you were both right! But only say this when they specifically ask about 'oxidative phosphorylation'. If they simply ask how ATP is made in light-dependant reaction, or how ATP is made in ETC, no need to go into this detail :smile:

wait i thought that energy was used to transport H+ to the intermembrane space, and then when protons diffuse into mitochondrial matrix via ATP synthase by chemiosmosis, the movement of the H+ through the ATP synthase produces ATP?

Latest

Trending

Trending