The Student Room Group

There is no true poverty in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ripper-Roo
You're very trusting of the (any) government, and yes it is a 'what if' question, as they technically could withdraw these resources at any time. It'd be unpopular, but they could still do so.

I'm sure they will eventually as long as those myths are peddled.

Original post by Copperknickers
You seem to be confusing poverty with poor quality of life. There are plenty of people living in rural China and Africa that have far happier and more productive lives than poor people in the UK who earn 10 times what their Asian and African cousins earn in benefits. And there are slums in Mumbai and Nairobi that are less violent and have less serious crime than parts of Glasgow and Liverpool.

I agree that, even taking into account the pretty large section of British society that has barely enough money to feed their family even after working two jobs and receiving benefits, and people that are homeless due to mental illness, lack of space in shelters or other reasons, social problems in Britain are not even remotely comparable to those of Ethiopia or Somalia, but we don't live in Somalia, we live in Britain. Foreign problems are separate to British problems, therefore terms such as 'poverty' are relative depending on which you are talking about, foreign or domestic.

Yes, it might seem rather misleading and disproportionate to call for an end to poverty in Britain when there is a major humanitarian crisis in Syria, but what do you suggest? We drop everything and pile into Syria, then Afghanistan, then Iraq, then Ethiopia, then Sudan.... helping them until every single country worse off than ourselves is improved? Why can't we improve our own country?

Well said. Although I'm sure someone somewhere believes people working two jobs and still needing benefits just aren't working hard enough.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending