The Student Room Group

AQA FP2 de Moivre's theorem question

KJToJCa.png
I know that:
zn+1/zn=2cosx z^n + 1/z^n = 2cosx

zn1/zn=2isinx z^n - 1/z^n = 2isinx

For part (b) I get:

32cos3(x)sin3(x)=Asin(6x)+Bsin(2x) -32cos^3(x)sin^3(x) = Asin(6x) + Bsin(2x)

Which seems like it'll get the answer to part ii but I don't know how to answer part i from where I am now, or if I'm using the right method to find A and B
Original post by __Adam__
KJToJCa.png
I know that:

zn+1/zn=2cosx z^n + 1/z^n = 2cosx

zn1/zn=2isinx z^n - 1/z^n = 2isinx

For part (b) I get:

32cos3(x)sin3(x)=Asin(6x)+Bsin(2x) -32cos^3(x)sin^3(x) = Asin(6x) + Bsin(2x)

Which seems like it'll get the answer to part ii but I don't know how to answer part i from where I am now, or if I'm using the right method to find A and B

For (b) (i) consider the following:

(z+1z)3(z1z)3=[(z+1z)(z1z)]3=(z21z2)3=r=03(3r)(z2)3r(1z2)2\begin{aligned} \left( z + \frac{1}{z} \right)^3 \left( z - \frac{1}{z} \right)^3 & = \left[ \left( z + \frac{1}{z} \right) \left( z - \frac{1}{z} \right) \right]^3 \\ & = \left( z^2 - \frac{1}{z^2} \right)^3 \\ & = \displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^3 \binom{3}{r} (z^2)^{3-r} \left(\frac{-1}{z^2} \right)^2 \end{aligned}
Reply 2
Original post by Khallil
For (b) (i) consider the following:

(z+1z)3(z1z)3=[(z+1z)(z1z)]3=(z21z2)3=r=03(3r)(z2)3r(1z2)2\begin{aligned} \left( z + \frac{1}{z} \right)^3 \left( z - \frac{1}{z} \right)^3 & = \left[ \left( z + \frac{1}{z} \right) \left( z - \frac{1}{z} \right) \right]^3 \\ & = \left( z^2 - \frac{1}{z^2} \right)^3 \\ & = \displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^3 \binom{3}{r} (z^2)^{3-r} \left(\frac{-1}{z^2} \right)^2 \end{aligned}

Thanks, but I've never had to use sigma notation in these questions before, is there a way to do it using only trig as I think that's how I'm supposed to answer it?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP2-TEXTBOOK.PDF (Page 83)
Thanks, but I've never had to use sigma notation in these questions before, is there a way to do it using only trig as I think that's how I'm supposed to answer it?

The sigma notation is just a compact way of writing the binomial expansion of the parentheses :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4

You don't need the sigma notation at all for this since you don't need a full expansion - just use the 1st 2 lines of Khalil's solution then apply part (a).

Original post by davros
You don't need the sigma notation at all for this since you don't need a full expansion - just use the 1st 2 lines of Khalil's solution then apply part (a).

May I ask what the values of A and B are? :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by Khallil
May I ask what the values of A and B are? :smile:

Spoiler

Spoiler

(z21/z2)3=A(z61/z6)+B(z21/z2) (z^2-1/z^2)^3 = A(z^6-1/z^6) + B(z^2-1/z^2)
(2isin(2x))3=2Aisin(6x)+2Bisin(2x) (2isin(2x))^3 = 2Aisin(6x) + 2Bisin(2x)
4sin3(2x)=Asin(6x)+Bsin(2x) -4sin^3(2x) = Asin(6x) + Bsin(2x)

Is what I have so far.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

In that case the textbook is wrong, not very surprising. I'd have thought they could have had someone decent to check the textbooks answers and questions to make sure they were right before releasing the textbook. Several questions I've done have had either wrong answers or mistakes in the question.
In that case the textbook is wrong...
The textbook isn't wrong. They too have -3 as the value of B:

Spoiler

In any case, I strongly believe that you're not required to use any complex numbers for (b) (i). This is because (b) (ii) tells you to substitute z=cos+isinθz = \cos + i\sin \theta in the identity for (b) (i) with the values of A and B that have already been found.

Have you tried using the binomial expansion I recommended in my first post?

(z+1z)3(z1z)3=r=03(3r)(z2)3r(1z2)2\left( z + \frac{1}{z} \right)^3 \left( z - \frac{1}{z} \right)^3 = \displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^3 \binom{3}{r} (z^2)^{3-r} \left(\frac{-1}{z^2} \right)^2
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Khallil
The textbook isn't wrong. They too have -3 as the value of B:

In any case, I strongly believe that you're not required to use any complex numbers for (b) (i). This is because (b) (ii) tells you to substitute z=cos+isinθz = \cos + i\sin \theta in the identity for (b) (i) with the values of A and B that have already been found.

Have you tried using the binomial expansion I recommended in my first post?

Turns out I wasn't expanding it correctly, damn indices. I'll have to have a lot more practice at this chapter before doing a paper. Thanks for the help. A = 1 B = -3

Quick Reply

Latest