The Student Room Group

A-Level French Study Group 2023-2024

Welcome to the A-level French Study Group!

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough!

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!

@Pwca and @Evil Homer
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlishaDaisy

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough!

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!

@Pwca and @Evil Homer

You are on a Study Group creating roll :biggrin:

Will get this added :smile:
hello hello !! hoping this group eventually gains more traction but i will gladly start !!

i'm in y13, studying french and spanish with wjec eduqas !! im predicted A*s for both (hopefully :redface: !!) and hoping to get into uni of leeds !! (im also studying music tech btec !)

recently i started reading l'écume des jours but i think i need to reread what i read and note down some of the vocab in there so i can grasp the plot better. so many new words !

if anyone needs help with revision techniques or how to answer some types of exam questions, my silly little nerdy heart will be happy to help !!!!

the same question i asked in the spanish group for year 13s and year 12s if you've thought about it yet: what is your irp topic?
i'm going to do something pertaining to the cultural significance of the palace of versailles!
Reply 3
Original post by charmaine.d
hello hello !! hoping this group eventually gains more traction but i will gladly start !!

i'm in y13, studying french and spanish with wjec eduqas !! im predicted A*s for both (hopefully :redface: !!) and hoping to get into uni of leeds !! (im also studying music tech btec !)

recently i started reading l'écume des jours but i think i need to reread what i read and note down some of the vocab in there so i can grasp the plot better. so many new words !

if anyone needs help with revision techniques or how to answer some types of exam questions, my silly little nerdy heart will be happy to help !!!!

the same question i asked in the spanish group for year 13s and year 12s if you've thought about it yet: what is your irp topic?
i'm going to do something pertaining to the cultural significance of the palace of versailles!

Those are really good subjects there! Good luck in Year 13 :smile:
Reply 4

And also, for my IRP topic, I will be doing something that is related to fashion in France in the past and present! (from a Year 12 student who is thinking of IRP topics for French)
Those are really good subjects there! Good luck in Year 13 :smile:

thanks ! and you too good luck in y12 !!
And also, for my IRP topic, I will be doing something that is related to fashion in France in the past and present! (from a Year 12 student who is thinking of IRP topics for French)

ooo fashion niiice !! one thing you'll have to think about is narrowing it down a little bit. for example, your teacher will ask you to give yourself a title which is most likely a question, and something that pushes you to analyse the topic!! i'm still getting research together for my versailles project so i dont have a good title just yet </3
Reply 7
ooo fashion niiice !! one thing you'll have to think about is narrowing it down a little bit. for example, your teacher will ask you to give yourself a title which is most likely a question, and something that pushes you to analyse the topic!! i'm still getting research together for my versailles project so i dont have a good title just yet </3

ok I will :smile:
Reply 8

Hi I'm studying AQA French . Please do share any revision tips/advice i'm in desperate need - particularly for grammar ! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Freya.G
Hi I'm studying AQA French . Please do share any revision tips/advice i'm in desperate need - particularly for grammar ! :smile:

I'm in Y13 too !
Original post by Freya.G

hello hello !!! any grammar specific things ? like the tenses or different grammar rules etc?

for revising the tenses, i normally just make a big sheet where i go in chronological order and write how the tense is formed, when to use the tense, endings, irregulars etc. for solidifying each tense, practice really is the best way to go. i would say write yourself 5-10 sentences (or just verb conjugations, eg: i was eating (imp) she is going to drive (near future)) for each tense so you can firstly better understand how its formed in english and how to recognise it in english and then practice translating to french !! it's also a good exercise to make sentences with new vocab learn new words you might not have been exposed to before !!
Reply 11
Hi thank you so much for the advice above - it is so useful ! I struggle mainly with remembering grammar rules + tenses
Reply 12

@Pwca and @Evil Homer

hi! i study French AQA and also hoping to study it with another language at university!
i actually speak french at home, but funnily enough i struggle a lot with the grammar and the writing of the course, i don't really enjoy the literature aspect haha
but i do enjoy learning about the society and culture, and would be interested in those modules at uni too !

omg you sound like an absolute angel! can you help me, I started a level french this year and I really want to do well in it!
Original post by izzyranderson
omg you sound like an absolute angel! can you help me, I started a level french this year and I really want to do well in it!

hello !!! of course i can help !! just let me know what you need help with and i'll get back to you as soon as i can (bit of a busy week coming up with a gig and open day but i will reply asap !!) :biggrin:
hello !!! of course i can help !! just let me know what you need help with and i'll get back to you as soon as i can (bit of a busy week coming up with a gig and open day but i will reply asap !!) :biggrin:

I just started French, would you say it's doable because the jump is insane I got an 8 in Gcse and im still struggling. When it comes to vocab how would you say to revise it?
Original post by insistent-flower
I just started French, would you say it's doable because the jump is insane I got an 8 in Gcse and im still struggling. When it comes to vocab how would you say to revise it?

hello !! so i got 9 in my french gcse and i really can't speak on the jump, if anything, it'll be more workload based, so you'll get more, little bits of homework throughout the week. your teacher should be going through tenses etc from the very start to make sure everyone is on the same level, but i suppose after christmas is where the jump becomes most noticeable. around that time, teachers tend to introduce the film you'll be studying, and you'll get guidance on writing essays etc.

if its just a list of vocab, i always use a traffic light system !! (might be reiterating stuff from a previous post but i'll write it again !!)
first just go through the list of vocab, i use a dash, a dot and a slash to categorise the words as "know", "guessable" and "new", coloured pens/pencils could help or just make a key and designate some symbols to them.
the "know" words will be words that you already know, the "guessable" ones will be words that you might have seen once or twice before but you're not sure what they are, it could be a noun that's taken from a verb you know or might sound similar to the english word, or it could be a phrase where you know the key words in it but just need to learn the wording of the phrase itself. and then the "new" words are new ones you've never seen before !!!

i fold a piece of a4 paper in half, in half again so you end up with 4 columns. write the english words on the 3rd column (generally, we're tested the words from english to french in class) and then write the french words on the 4th column. fold the 4th column over and see what you can remember, write in a different colour (or underline anything to differentiate) when correcting the words that you didn't quite get on the first time. fold the used column behind so you can test yourself again !!! it also helps you identify which ones you need to work on so you can focus on those ones !!

sorry that was a rlly long way of explaining how i do look, copy, cover, write method lol :groovy: but with this strategy, it makes learning vocab so much easier !!! make sure to space the little tests out over the span of an hour or 30 mins, just to help it stick in your head !!

if the paper explanation thingy wasn't clear enough then i'm happy to send some photos !!!
Reply 17

Im a year 12 new to A-level French, I want to ask exactly how difficult is the course and am currently considering doing my irp on the history of Quebec, I don't know if it is a good topic to choose or if there are other ones that I would be able to do more research in and be able to include more points in the presentation. I honestly have no clue since it is my first month and we are currently studying Families in France and the movie La Haine, but I would rather want to get ahead with the work to make it easier for me in year 13. I also teach French to students at my school to help me keep up my grammar skills, I hope it helps :smile:
Original post by adamor7
Im a year 12 new to A-level French, I want to ask exactly how difficult is the course and am currently considering doing my irp on the history of Quebec, I don't know if it is a good topic to choose or if there are other ones that I would be able to do more research in and be able to include more points in the presentation. I honestly have no clue since it is my first month and we are currently studying Families in France and the movie La Haine, but I would rather want to get ahead with the work to make it easier for me in year 13. I also teach French to students at my school to help me keep up my grammar skills, I hope it helps :smile:

hello !! i would check with your teacher about doing your irp on québec, in theory it should be fine since the irp should be centred around france or a french-speaking country/region. if you’re trusted enough to teach french to other students, then you hopefully you won’t find the course too difficult !! the workload more than anything is the most difficult part since you’ll just get more work and more homework.

the most important thing about the irp is that that the title must allow you to be analytical about the topic you choose, plus, you’ll be asked to focus on something specific !!

what exam board are you with ?
Reply 19
Original post by adamor7

hi! i'm currently in year 13 and i think it's great that ur already thinking about the research project! year 13 is mostly about the second textbook, where you learn about multiculturalism, crime and other topics which i have not yet studied. i would also say if you can, make a start on your book and start practice questions from the very beginning, it'll rly help your grammar

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending