The Student Room Group

more qus

1. A spin drier tub operates at 800rpm. The tub has a diamter of 0.80m. calculate (a) The speed of a point on the tub wall
(b) The centripetal acceleration of the tub wall

2. An object of mass 0.30kg is attached to the end of a string and is supported on a smooth horziontal surface. The object moves in a horizontal circle of radius 0.50m with a constant speed of 2ms-1. Cacluate (a) the centripetal acceeleration and the tension in the string.

i wud appreciate it if some1 helped. thanks.
Reply 1
a)1 rpm = pi/30 rads-1
So 800 rpm = 80pi/3 rads-1

v=wr
Therefore v=80pi/3 x 0.4

b) a=v2/r, just plug the numbers in, v which you calculated in part a) and the radius r.
Reply 2
what about qu 2 m8?
potter

2. An object of mass 0.30kg is attached to the end of a string and is supported on a smooth horziontal surface. The object moves in a horizontal circle of radius 0.50m with a constant speed of 2ms-1. Cacluate (a) the centripetal acceeleration and the tension in the string.

i wud appreciate it if some1 helped. thanks.

a) a = v^2/r
b) T = ma = mv^2/r

This is really tedious. Why do you need help? No offence.
Reply 4
Yeah for question 2, the acceleration is just using v2/r. For the tension use T=mv2/r so basically you're multiplying the acc. by the mass.
Reply 5
Just plug the values in for each term in the equations.
Reply 6
i nee dhelp becos i find it ard. thanks guys.
Reply 7
Get yourself a text book with a load of examples in and answers in the back. When I did M1, I didn't understand a thing in class, I taught myself all of it. If you need anymore help just post here. :smile:
Reply 8
ye sounds a gud idea, thanks a lot.:biggrin:

Latest