The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why are there math olympiads for girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by coatsoft
will be all the gender bull****. In sport there has to be seperate competitions that overall women are less physically built (please don't have a go just saying the facts) and at peak fitness which most athletes are, the men are going to be physically superior to the women and therefore would dominate the sport. To bring it into educational context is stupid. although girls are likelier to be more academically successful than boys I believe that this is mainly down to boys pissing about in school

no, you don't get it . women's sports being pathetic compared to men's is also a social construct. girls are being told boys are faster and stronger. and they don't get as much funding. and people don't come to watch them play. and and and and and...................................................
Reply 41
Original post by mimi112
no, you don't get it . women's sports being pathetic compared to men's is also a social construct. girls are being told boys are faster and stronger. and they don't get as much funding. and people don't come to watch them play. and and and and and...................................................

I dont find women's sport pathetic.
Original post by ZafarS
The question your answer is effetively the same as "why is the distribution of boys' grades more spread out" because they score high in the olympiads unlike girls (which means there are boys in the high end, and barely any girls) but in general they are outperformd (which means there are a lot of boys at the low end, but less girls). So yeah, for all intents and purposes, it means the same..

But in order for the questioner to know that "for all intents and purposes it means the same", they may need reminding that only top students take Olympiads, or that the distribution of male performance is wider.

Besides, the two don't necessarily mean the same thing anyway. There are other possible reasons why boys outperform girls in Olympiads but not in other exams. It could simply be that the content is more suited to their natural abilities. They might be better at thinking on the spot, but not at revision. As far as anyone can tell from the question alone, a wider distribution may have nothing to do with it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mimi112
but year after year we are told how girls do better in school. and if there was a gender gap in math it's now gone. do you think that boys do better in the international maths olympics? any numbers?

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. This might be the case at GCSE level for example, but it does seem like the more advanced the maths, the more males dominate e.g. I think it's about 60% males at A level, with a higher percentage for further maths , slightly more at degree level, significantly more for postgrad, and much higher at professorial levels (no, I haven't got exact statistics to back this up, but this is pretty much what I've always read. Obviously feel free to correct me if I am misinformed :smile:) We can argue all we want about the reasons/causes, but that is the reality.
Reply 44
Original post by tazarooni89
But in order for the questioner to know that "for all intents and purposes it means the same", they may need reminding that only top students take Olympiads, or that the distribution of male performance is wider.

Besides, the two don't necessarily mean the same thing anyway. There are other possible reasons why boys outperform girls in Olympiads but not in other exams. It could simply be that the content is more suited to their natural abilities. They might be better at thinking on the spot, but not at revision. As far as anyone can tell from the question alone, a wider distribution may have nothing to do with it.

I don't mean to insult you, but that is the dumbest thing I've heard this week. Let's just agree to disagree, before you spout some more nonsense.
Original post by ZafarS
I don't mean to insult you, but that is the dumbest thing I've heard this week. Let's just agree to disagree, before you spout some more nonsense.

:s-smilie:
Reply 46
Original post by tazarooni89

Don't worry about it, everybody has their moments.
Original post by IntoTheWater
I think that holding a different Olympiad for girls is ridiculous. No matter how I hate the thought , I agree that for some reasons, more men tend to geniuses than women. However, that doesn't mean that there is no female geniuses at all.

Of course not. That's why the International Mathematical Olympiad is a mixed competition.
What's the problem of holding a mixed Olympiad?

There is one.
You'll never know if there is a freakishly smart girl among those boys.

I agree. In fact, out of interest, I think not too long ago, maybe in the 2012 or 2013 International Physics Olympiad, iirc, a girl from South Korea or China won every single round.
The girl that wins the Olympiad for Girls would not be too pleased knowing that the competition she just won was dumbed down to "girls' standard".

Then she should've tried to qualify for the IMO team. I'm not sure about other countries, but I think in Britain if a girl falls short of the IMO team qualification score but she still has a sufficient score for the girl's team, she is offered a place to compete on the girl's Olympiad team.
Just let them enter the same competition, the best will win, simple as that.

Unless I'm mistaken, no one is forcing anyone to enter a specific competition - if they're good enough and they pass the qualifying rounds, they will represent their country in the IMO.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ZafarS
Don't worry about it, everybody has their moments.

Perhaps you misunderstood what my ":s-smilie:" was for.
Reply 49
Original post by mimi112
is it unconceivable to assume that millions upon millions of years of evolution could have had an impact on men and women's brains as they did on the rest of our bodies in order to ensure the survival of our offspring ? should we forever ignore any kind of empirical evidence that suggests otherwise like creationists and flat earth theorists do just because it makes us feel warm and fuzzy inside?

This. It's the possibility that nobody even wants to entertain, but it could be true.
We need to look beyond ideology and actually give fair consideration to the possibility that the majority of people with exceptional ability in maths are men. I'm not saying it is the case, but I'm saying it could be.
Re: why are there math olympiads for girls? Who knows, may be for the same reason there are separate world chess championships for women, ie if the best women took on the best men, they would get their asses handed to them on a plate. The problem is most people don't want to admit it. Funny mind, if it was the other way around, it would be getting shouted from the roof tops.
Original post by Felix Felicis
Of course not. That's why the International Mathematical Olympiad is a mixed competition.
Yes, but having an entire competition which is deemed to be easier exclusively for girls is ridiculous.

There is one.
Which one?

I agree. In fact, out of interest, I think not too long ago, maybe in the 2012 or 2013 International Physics Olympiad, iirc, a girl from South Korea or China won every single round.
Yeah, and I don't think that having a girl that wins is that phenomenal. But yeah, winning every single round is pretty impressive.

Then she should've tried to qualify for the IMO team. I'm not sure about other countries, but I think in Britain if a girl falls short of the IMO team qualification score but she still has a sufficient score for the girl's team, she is offered a place to compete on the girl's Olympiad team.
That's what I meant. If they are not qualified for the competition, then it should be left that way. As I said, having a competition for girls with lower standards (?) does imply the notion that boys are better.
And what's the point, anyway? Equality? We should have the best to serve the world, not a equal number of scientists from two genders.

Unless I'm mistaken, no one is forcing anyone to enter a specific competition - if they're good enough and they pass the qualifying rounds, they will represent their country in the IMO.

Original post by ZafarS
I agree with you, men and women have the capability of being equally intelligent, it just depends on how much you use your brain. I can guarentee you that an average British high schooler is more intelligent than 100% of the people without a primary education. On any test, IQ, math, verbal, whatever. People seem to think that inteligence is a certain intrinsic property of a person, determined at birth, kind of like someone's height. It isn't. Nobody is born intelligent. Gauss wasn't born intelligent. Euler wasn't born intelligent, even though people like to argue otherwise and use apocryphal anecdotes to 'prove' some people just possess a godly intellect from birth. Ramanujan is another example. He sometimes forgot to eat for an entire day because he was only focused on math. Yet people still claim he had a natural talent for mathematics. Nope, he worked more than anybody else did, so he had success.

I never said that men are superior to women (only jokingly), because it's bullocks. Physically, men are stronger. But mentally, nope. Our brains are the same, and I re-iterate: Your intelligence depends on how often and how intensely you use your brain.

Also, you did an absolutely terrible job at analyzing everything I said. You must be a woman..

p.s. - 2-3% was way too generous on my part.. it's probably <<1%. But that's not really of importance in this discussion.

I don't have anything to say against your reply. But for the last remark, which part of my post made you think that I "did an absolutely terrible job at analyzing everything" you said?
Reply 53
I don't think maths competitions are important anyway.
There's a girls' one for those girls who don't wish to be around the kind of guys that this thread attracted.
Reply 55

I agree. In fact, out of interest, I think not too long ago, maybe in the 2012 or 2013 International Physics Olympiad, iirc, a girl from South Korea or China won every single round

not surprised. most the other girls i've seen do really well in math were east asian. that in itself is another pandora box screaming to be opened but i think this thread has enough political incorrectness already.
Yes, but having an entire competition which is deemed to be easier exclusively for girls is ridiculous.

By that logic, having separate categories for men and women in sporting events is ridiculous.

Which one?

The IMO.

Yeah, and I don't think that having a girl that wins is that phenomenal. But yeah, winning every single round is pretty impressive.

It kind of is tbh - not in the sense that because she's a girl and she should be considered inferior to her male competitors (that's evidently not the case) but when you consider that it is consistently males who become the absolute winner (i.e. higher aggregate score) of the IPhO, it is surprising that in one year, not only did a girl have the highest aggregate score but won the experimental round, theoretical round, etc.

That's what I meant. If they are not qualified for the competition, then it should be left that way. As I said, having a competition for girls with lower standards (?) does imply the notion that boys are better.

And what is wrong with that? No one seems to have a problem with accepting the notion that men are generally physically superior to women. And, for whatever reason, evidently boys seem to far outperform girls in the IMO, in the IPhO, etc and yet people still jump down your throats when someone says "boys are better than girls at maths blah blah blah". I'll try to be PC about this and say that in general, boys tend to far outperform girls at these Olympiad competitions (which in no way imply boys are better :wink:) so one may think that there is obviously an advantage somewhere - whether that is nature/ nurture is another debate. Why should these girls, who are clearly better than the vast, vast majority of Britain at maths, not have the opportunity to enter maths competitions just because some people can't stand the notion that someone is inherently better than you? That is something which you will have to learn to accept at some point. :rolleyes: There are a lot of talented female mathematicians at my age in the country, far better than me, and the fact is, most of them will never get the chance to compete in the IMO because, for whatever reason, boys outperform them. An aspect of the IMO is meant to be fun, a competition where you can go to compete against and test your limits against some of the very best in the world.
And what's the point, anyway? Equality? We should have the best to serve the world, not a equal number of scientists from two genders.

You seem to be confusing two matters. :s-smilie: I don't even see where you're getting this from, how is creating a second IMO exclusively for girls advocating that we should have an equal number of men and women in every job?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
I don't have anything to say against your reply. But for the last remark, which part of my post made you think that I "did an absolutely terrible job at analyzing everything" you said?

Let's analyze your reply:

Then those 2-3% would not be too happy with your claim. There are fewer female medalists. Okay, I agree. However, fewer doesn't mean nothing at all. You just looked pass those equally exceptional women claiming that all boys are better than all girls logically. I understand that generalisations come from facts, but there always are exceptions.

And there are also reasons why women haven't achieved more (babies, social pressure,...).

- I don't think my claim is of any interest to them. It is a factual claim, there are less successful women in these tournaments then men, they'd agree. Why would they be offended. That's like getting offended because water is wet.

- Fewer does mean something, it means less than half in this context.

- I didn't look past any woman, I explicitly mentioned their existence.

- Wait, wut? How on earth did I claim that all boys are better than all girls logically?! That is preposterous, my claims weren't even remotely close to that.

- I know there are exceptions, I mentioned them explicitly.
Reply 58
somewhat related to this , just to give you a perspective on how male dominated is anything to do with math/programming etc is at the top.

google
facebook
youtube
yahoo
wikipedia
linkedin
twitter
amazon
blogspot
wordpres
ebay
tumblr
pinterest
paypal
instagram
craiglist

we all know most or all of these sites since they are the largest ones. if you were asked how many of their founders do you think were women, what would you say? maybe 15? 10? 5? no, the answer is a mind boggling ZERO. women have been going to college in equal numbers for 30 years in the US (and even longer in other parts) and these days it's more like 60-70% in many countries. and yet this is the result.
(edited 10 years ago)
By that logic, having separate categories for men and women in sporting events is ridiculous.
Men are physically stronger than women. Women have smaller lungs, less brute strength, less muscle,... That's why there are separate categories for men and women in sporting events. Everybody can see that men and women are different physically and have different capacities. But now, the brain. Nobody proved that boys are more logical or vice versa, and if you are determined enough, you can beat people intellectually, regardless of your gender. Facts.

The IMO.
Oh I thought you meant "one problem". I meant having ONE mixed competition.

It kind of is tbh - not in the sense that because she's a girl and she should be considered inferior to her male competitors (that's evidently not the case) but when you consider that it is consistently males who become the absolute winner (i.e. higher aggregate score) of the IPhO, it is surprising that in one year, not only did a girl have the highest aggregate score but won the experimental round, theoretical round, etc.

And what is wrong with that? No one seems to have a problem with accepting the notion that men are physically superior to women. And, for whatever reason, evidently boys seem to far outperform girls in the IMO, in the IPhO, etc and yet people still jump down your throats when someone says "boys are better than girls at maths blah blah blah".
See above.

I'll try to be PC about this and say that in general, boys tend to far outperform girls at these Olympiad competitions (which in no way imply boys are better :wink:) so one may think that there is obviously an advantage somewhere - whether that is nature/ nurture is another debate. Why should these girls, who are clearly better than the vast, vast majority of Britain at maths, not have the opportunity to enter maths competitions just because some people can't stand the notion that someone is inherently better than you? That is something which you will have to learn to accept at some point. :rolleyes: There are a lot of talented female mathematicians at my age in the country, far better than me, and the fact is, most of them will never get the chance to compete in the IMO because, for whatever reason, boys outperform them. An aspect of the IMO is meant to be fun, a competition where you can go to compete against and test your limits against some of the very best in the world.
If those girls are better than the vast majority of Britain, then surely they could stand a chance against the others? If they don't have the chance to compete then it's because they aren't good enough. Same for boys who are talented but couldn't enter because there are better people. If you want to have fun, you can go to the smaller-scale competitions like the local ones.
You seem to be confusing two matters. :s-smilie: I don't even see where you're getting this from, how is creating a second IMO exclusively for girls advocating that we should have an equal number of men and women in every job?

I'm not confused. The point of a math competition is to find out the best, boy or girl. We should have a pool of great mathematicians, not a best male mathematician and a best female mathematician like sports. I was trying to link to the thread's question: why are there math olympiads for girls? You yourself said that you knew girls who failed the mixed competitions got offered from the female ones. If it is to encourage female mathematicians, then they are doing it the wrong way. Those girls are not as good as the ones from the other competition. So what's the point? Are we not trying to find the best? Holding a competition for girls just for the sake of having girls doing maths is kinda forced if you ask me.

Latest

Trending

Trending