The Student Room Group

Why do women watch so much rubbish on tv

Scroll to see replies

Noticed this as well, my mum, sisters, (luckily not my girlfriend), most of the girls I lived with at university, a large number of their girl friends all watch the brain numbing **** that they produce on the main channels. Can't be a coincidence, what is it about mindless television that attracts such a large number of women?
Original post by Rational Thinker
I do not know whether it is just women but certainly any type of big brother, x factor, coronation street are vile. Also disgusting is loose women. I am against the death penalty but in the case of the case for all of these I would happily make an exception. Replace this anti intellectual nonsense with documentaries such as World at War or Nazi's A Warning from History, or televise academic debating.

Sorry but the majority of people don't really care about academia. It's a sad reflection of society but in this day and age lots of academic information is right in their face and they take a reality tv show; but who are we to cast judgement on their actions?
Reply 22
Pffft not ALL women.. What i watch is just beyond amazing:

Nikita
Hawaii Five 0
Arrow
NCIS
The Blacklist
Beauty and the Beast
Covert Affairs
Marvels Agents of SHIELD

That^^ is some kicka** action:tongue:

I do watch im a celeb&x factor but just because they are entertaining. My action tv comes first:smile:
Original post by John Stuart Mill
Sorry but the majority of people don't really care about academia. It's a sad reflection of society but in this day and age lots of academic information is right in their face and they take a reality tv show; but who are we to cast judgement on their actions?

Both World at War and Nazi's A Warning From History gained a huge amount of viewers. Furthermore some of the Oxford debates are incredibly entertaining such as this one. By showing opposing points of view but these making intellectual points, we can get to key issues.

[video="youtube;vUKjTPPcOdQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUKjTPPcOdQ[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
I love watching tv, there's no denying that but those shows you've mentioned are vile.
Reply 25
Why do men play so many rubbish games?

Cant be the only one who has noticed this .

its becoming an epidemic

Games like, GTA, COD, I Can't Think of Any More, etc. .
Reply 26
Original post by pandabird
What's wrong with Strictly Come Dancing? Dance has been a form of entertainment for hundreds of years...
And Downton Abbey is a period drama, it's not rubbish at all.

And then you have the audacity to mention Match of the Day. :rolleyes:

Strictly Come Dancing is just another formulaic reality show in which the audience delights in watching celebrities' ineptitude. I'm not sure what is most awful: the cliched and contrived stories of contestants overcoming adversity, Bruce's cringeworthy tired old jokes, or the judges' predictable melodramatic monologues when giving scores. Everything about the show is irritating and mind numbingly tedious. If you enjoy dance as a form of entertainment, why not watch some professional dancing?

As for Downton Abbey, you seem to think that purely by virtue of its genre as a period drama that its immune from being rubbish. It isn't. The show is usually torn to shreds by critics and just recently historian Simon Schama called it a “servile soap opera” and a “steaming, silvered tureen of snobbery.” I tend to agree with him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Chihiro95
Why do men play so many rubbish games?

Cant be the only one who has noticed this .

its becoming an epidemic

Games like, GTA, COD, I Can't Think of Any More, etc. .

I think it's more children and teens
Original post by ckingalt
Your anal retentive response made me think of this recent thread.

My anal retentive response has a ring of truth. Perhaps that's difficult for you to digest, leading to the constipation that you seem to have.

Original post by Sheldor
It's not even most women, they probably get a maximum of 10 million views (including catch up services, irregular viewers etc.) each with some overlap between viewers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, that's a better way of putting it actually.

Also, Sheldor. XD
*high five!*
Original post by AristoBrat!
My anal retentive response has a ring of truth. Perhaps that's difficult for you to digest, leading to the constipation that you seem to have.

True, that's a better way of putting it actually.

Also, Sheldor. XD
*high five!*

Love it when other people get the reference :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Football is pretty **** imo. Just my opinion though :h:
Original post by Tai Ga

Yeah keep it to yourself
i like x factor:colonhash: well actually it's a tacky biased fixed talent show but the judge nicole is hawwwwwwwt
Original post by Tai Ga

u mad bro
Reply 34
Original post by 123formyabc
Yeah keep it to yourself

No.

Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
u mad bro

No.
It's not just women, I've even heard of some guys who watch that sort of crap as well...
I think most people watch some total **** on TV. I waste a lot of my time watching panel shows. That's just as much of a waste of time as watching X Factor, soaps, or Jeremy Kyle.

I do not know whether it is just women but certainly any type of big brother, x factor, coronation street are vile. Also disgusting is loose women. I am against the death penalty but in the case of the case for all of these I would happily make an exception. Replace this anti intellectual nonsense with documentaries such as World at War or Nazi's A Warning from History, or televise academic debating.

My god this is painful. I'm embarrassed for you.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I think most people watch some total **** on TV. I waste a lot of my time watching panel shows. That's just as much of a waste of time as watching X Factor, soaps, or Jeremy Kyle.

My god this is painful. I'm embarrassed for you.

It was tongue in cheek.
Reply 38
Original post by Machop
I think it's more children and teens

I know men in their twenties that spend a disproportionate time playing games. Point is, what's 'rubbish' is relative. People can spend their time however they like.
It was tongue in cheek.

It was the kind of thing that Jeremy Clarkson might say: intended to be funny, but actually such as to make you look a pretentious, obnoxious ass.

Fyi, Jeremy Clarkson presents a popular car show on the BBC. I imagine that you might not know that, given that people who sometimes watch TV for a few laughs and to waste some time, rather than necessarily to educate themselves, are so far beneath you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending