The Student Room Group

Career plans for Zoology/Biology etc students?

Hello there.

This is an honest question. When applying to university my dad was pretty firm with me about which courses I should and shouldn't take. Anything which would lead to a career in animals (bar vet med) was one of the first to be culled because he deemed those courses a waste of time and wouldn't get me a good job.

I was just wondering. Zoology/Biology and anything similar seem to be really popular courses. You are obviously animal lovers like me and to satisfy my own curiosity: what do you guys plan to do career wise? Are you going to do something with animals or are you going somewhere different with you lives? If you are doing something with animals what stuff are you planning to do? There's not many jobs to do with animals beyond being a vet that I can think of off the top of my head. Also what are your job prospects? Is there a lot of jobs out there or is the job market really tough?

I'm just curious....

EDIT: Just like to clarify that I am studying something other than these two subject I was just surious about where all these graduates studying these subjects go. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Scribbled
Hello there.

This is an honest question. When applying to university my dad was pretty firm with me about which courses I should and shouldn't take. Anything which would lead to a career in animals (bar vet med) was one of the first to be culled because he deemed those courses a waste of time and wouldn't get me a good job.

I was just wondering. Zoology/Biology and anything similar seem to be really popular courses. You are obviously animal lovers like me and to satisfy my own curiosity: what do you guys plan to do career wise? Are you going to do something with animals or are you going somewhere different with you lives? If you are doing something with animals what stuff are you planning to do? There's not many jobs to do with animals beyond being a vet that I can think of off the top of my head. Also what are your job prospects? Is there a lot of jobs out there or is the job market really tough?

I'm just curious....

I'm not going into either field, but I'm going to give the obvious answer. Have you thought about research? Watching all those 'Africa' documentaries are pretty inspiring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending