The Student Room Group

How much do university ratings matter?

Hi, I’ve recently received an offer to study at Glasgow university for zoology however I didn’t expect to be accepted and was planning to go to Napier University for biology instead. I live in Edinburgh and would rather not move out. I’m unsure on which one to pick since Glasgow is in the Russel groups while Napier is really quite low on ratings. Would going to a Russel group uni impact my employability in the future? Are ratings something to consider when making these decisions? Thanks
Original post by Joanuxxa
Hi, I’ve recently received an offer to study at Glasgow university for zoology however I didn’t expect to be accepted and was planning to go to Napier University for biology instead. I live in Edinburgh and would rather not move out. I’m unsure on which one to pick since Glasgow is in the Russel groups while Napier is really quite low on ratings. Would going to a Russel group uni impact my employability in the future? Are ratings something to consider when making these decisions? Thanks

If you're referring to league tables, they can be somewhat helpful but I wouldn't base all my decisions based on them! League tables tend to factor in things that might not matter that much as a student, such as entry standards (ie., the grades needed to apply) or research quality. I would say things that might be more useful looking at is student satisfaction (are students happy with the way the course is taught) and employability statistics.

I think The Times Higher Education publishes stuff on university employability, but Discover Uni is a great site. It's a government owned site that basically lets you review and compare student satisfaction, employability etc of different courses. I used this a lot when I was applying to uni and it really helped me make a decision!

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Original post by Joanuxxa
Go for the course that interests you the most. Russell group is just a club and matters little for this degree.
(edited 1 month ago)
Some employers look at it, but it won’t significantly harm your chances (as in really won’t count, if you are a good student, you are a good student), plus league tables change yearly!
I would not encourage basing your decision on leagues, instead go to the university you feel most comfortable at, and you can see yourself at.
Plus in terms of employment biology tends to be more versatile than zoology
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending