The Student Room Group

Power Series - Exponential

I have been asked to find the first three non-zero terms of e(u1)2e^{(u-1)^2} where u is very small.

I started using the expansion of e^x

1+x+x22!+x33!+...1+x+\frac{x^2}{2!}+\frac{x^3}{3!}+...

But in the answer, it gives

e(12u+3u2)e(1-2u+3u^2)

Where does that come out of? :/
Original post by String.
I have been asked to find the first three non-zero terms of e(u1)2e^{(u-1)^2} where u is very small.

e(12u+3u2)e(1-2u+3u^2)

Notice that, in order to use the expansion of exe^x with x=(u1)2x=(u-1)^2, you need to consider the contribution from every term in the expansion since they each give some const,u,u2\text{const}, u, u^2 terms.

Hence you need to consider the constant, uu and u2u^2 terms (and hope those are all non-zero!*) that arise from ((u1)2)nn!\dfrac{((u-1)^2)^n}{n!} for each natural n and then add the result together.

*[For, if not, you'll have to look at higher order terms i.e. u3,u4u^3, u^4 etc. - fortunately, however, the question gives you the result so you know where to look]

Observe that, (1u)2nn!=1n![1+2nC1(u)+2nC2(u)2+]\dfrac{(1-u)^{2n}}{n!} = \dfrac{1}{n!} [1 + ^{2n}\mathrm{C}_1 (-u) + ^{2n}\mathrm{C}_2 (-u)^2 +…] by binomial expansion, where the "…" produces terms of higher order (that are irrelevant to us here). So the first three non-zero terms of the expansion of e(u1)2e^{(u-1)^2} arise from:

n=01n![1+2nC1(u)+2nC2(u)2]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{n!} [1 + ^{2n}\mathrm{C}_1 (-u) + ^{2n}\mathrm{C}_2 (-u)^2] (be wary of the values of n where this simplifies slightly [or doesn't make sense and therefore needs to neglect certain terms])

Think about how to evaluate these sums using the fact that e=n=01n!e=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^ {\infty} \dfrac{1}{n!}.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

n=01n![1+2nC1(u)+2nC2(u)2]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{n!} [1 + ^{2n}\mathrm{C}_1 (-u) + ^{2n}\mathrm{C}_2 (-u)^2]

Think about how to evaluate these sums using the fact that e=n=0unn!e=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^ {\infty} \dfrac{u^n}{n!}.

Do you think to eu=n=0unn!\displaystyle e^u=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{u^n}{n!} ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ztibor
So You think to eu=n=0unn!\displaystyle e^u=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{u^n}{n!}

Jesus that was bad. Typos all over the shop in that post. Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by String.

e(12u+3u2)e(1-2u+3u^2)

Probably the simplest way to see it is to expand (u-1)^2 first and then note that you can take out a factor e leaving something else which requires you to use the power series expansion.
Reply 5
Original post by davros
Probably the simplest way to see it is to expand (u-1)^2 first and then note that you can take out a factor e leaving something else which requires you to use the power series expansion.
Agreed, although your hint is perhaps a little cryptic.

Spoiler

Reply 6
Original post by DFranklin
Agreed, although your hint is perhaps a little cryptic.

Spoiler

Well I was about to go offline for some food so I tried to type something quickly without giving too much away :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest