The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

'Fat' Comments Should Be Illegal

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2ndClass
I don't know tbh, that's why I prefixed it with moderate. I think your close friends and family should definitely keep you "aware" that you need to lose weight and fat people, at least those who want to lose weight like I did, shouldn't be too sensitive about it. I know I was, but in hindsight I wish they were just totally blunt with me. I can't even look at myself at my old pictures with all my slim friends :yucky:

Why? Fat people are aware of it and they shouldn't avoid facing the truth that they are this size, but shouldn't lose weight just because other people tell them to. It's not their responsibility
Original post by Nathan0012
This is why the neg was introduced in the first place, and a good reason to bring it back :rolleyes:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=45449263#post45449263
Reply 102
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Why? Fat people are aware of it and they shouldn't avoid facing the truth that they are this size, but shouldn't lose weight just because other people tell them to. It's not their responsibility

I totally get this point, but after a while you become for a lack of a better word "desensitized" to the way you look till one day you look in the mirror and say, "how the f did I get so big". I think at the end of the day the people that are close to you are just looking for your best intentions, I used to think they were just being mean to me, that I know I'm a bit chubby, but that certainly didn't motivate me to do anything. Ironically in hindsight I developed somewhat of a resentment that they weren't even more mean to me and let me remain the way I did. This is the best way I can express it, listen to what he says

[video="youtube;3QsNXd57Ppw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QsNXd57Ppw[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
I totally get this point, but after a while you become for a lack of a better word "desensitized" to the way you look till one day you look in the mirror and say, "how the f did I get so big". I think at the end of the day the people that are close to you are just looking for your best intentions, I used to think they were just being mean to me, that I know I'm a bit chubby, but that certainly didn't motivate me to do anything. Ironically in hindsight I developed somewhat of a resentment that they weren't even more mean to me and let me remain the way I did. This is the best way I can express it, listen to what he says

Yeah, I understand that when you're overweight (or missed opportunities for a better life) you look to blame someone in a position of authority over you (e.g. parents). It may be a natural instinct as there is always the correcting part of your thinking process that reminds you you're in control of your body and life, but it would be nice if you had more guidance or support. :redface: And actually when you're overweight for a period of time you become used to it and won't notice how much weight you've gained until you lose it.

I feel annoyed when people suggest to me things I can do to improve my appearance, even if they mean well. It's a reflection of the attitude that they think I'd be better if I looked better.
Reply 104
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Yeah, I understand that when you're overweight (or missed opportunities for a better life) you look to blame someone in a position of authority over you (e.g. parents). It may be a natural instinct as there is always the correcting part of your thinking process that reminds you you're in control of your body and life, but it would be nice if you had more guidance or support. :redface: And actually when you're overweight for a period of time you become used to it and won't notice how much weight you've gained until you lose it.

I feel annoyed when people suggest to me things I can do to improve my appearance, even if they mean well. It's a reflection of the attitude that they think I'd be better if I looked better.

I understand where you're coming from :yy:
She has like no boobs with bloodhound eyes, no where near perfect.

I believe in moderate fat shaming comments as a former fatty tbh, that's the only way I put down the cake. I think I would've ate myself to oblivion.

Her breasts are perfectly fine as they are natural. Her breasts do not stand out there because she is lying on her back. You don't need an MSc in Physics to work that one out.
Reply 106
Original post by Oliver Queen
Her breasts are perfectly fine as they are natural. Her breasts do not stand out there because she is lying on her back. You don't need an MSc in Physics to work that one out.

Those are pecs
Whatever happened to the concept of free speech...?
Those are pecs

Oh right, I'm debating with an 8 year old. Okay, I'm out. Feel free to leave me a visitor message when you grow up.
Reply 109
Oh right, I'm debating with an 8 year old. Okay, I'm out. Feel free to leave me a visitor message when you grow up.

No need to have a period bro, it's not like she'll look at you anyway, it's just an opinion. Defending her honor on the internet won't get you sympathy pussy eitherway
No need to have a period bro, it's not like she'll look at you anyway, it's just an opinion. Defending her honor on the internet won't get you sympathy pussy eitherway

Im fine thank you. I actually have a girlfriend. Probably because I don't use terms like 'bro' and 'pussy'.
Reply 111
Im fine thank you. I actually have a girlfriend. Probably because I don't use terms like 'bro' and 'pussy'.

You probably don't , bro *pats head*
Reply 112
She isn't saying that calling someone fat should be illegal. People sometime need a good kick in the a** by a friend when it's unhealthy. She's saying that the media shouldn't refer to someone as fat, which is quite sensible. It indoctrinates children against each other, as you'd struggle to find a celeb magazine that doesn't glamourise someones stunning weight loss and size 0 figure, while slating those who are a tad over size 14.
I don't know why everyone is talking about how being fat is wrong. That isn't the point of this thread. It's about how the media has indoctrinated so many people, especially young girls, into thinking that they're overweight, and how being fat is so much worse than anything else. Although I don't really see how making the term fat illegal solves anything, I really do believe education is the key here. There's no point insulting fat people - it's society that has made people in the western world eat more and eat worse and that's the problem. Heathy eating, respect for diversity and various body types is what we need to be educated on. It's also just as important to tackle the issue of eating disorders just as much as obesity, because many of them are derived from the messages delivered by the media.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
It's frustrating how many people would rather rant about freedom of speech instead of actually thinking about the reasoning behind her argument. Obviously we can't ban people from calling others 'fat' - or similar - but the point that Lawrence et al are getting at is the fact that the culture of labeling people who are completely normal as fat is resulting in the culture of obsessive weight-loss and impossible body-standards that is ruining the health of millions of young girls (and boys).

This.

The very fact that she isn't even fat but yet some publications are perceiving her as that displays that there is a very fundamental problem with randomly labelling people as fat. Some people have different perceptions of fat, a size 18 might not be fat to some people but anything above a size 4 might be to the next person.

Where does it stop? Apparently we aren't stopping at obviously overweight people, now anyone who isn't skinny is apparently not slim enough. That's the problem that I think she's getting at but so badly worded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Original post by Chlorophile
It's frustrating how many people would rather rant about freedom of speech instead of actually thinking about the reasoning behind her argument. Obviously we can't ban people from calling others 'fat' - or similar - but the point that Lawrence et al are getting at is the fact that the culture of labeling people who are completely normal as fat is resulting in the culture of obsessive weight-loss and impossible body-standards that is ruining the health of millions of young girls (and boys).

Excessive weight loss!!!!!

I almost died, every other person is overweight for **** sake. Excessive weight loss is not a problem in our country. Jesus Christ.
I think the real solution is that the government should introduce a fat tax, this would be compulsory for everyone and go into a gastric band fund, if they ever reached the obese stage then their gastric band fund would be used. If they never became obese this is added to their pension, so not only does this prevent fattys from being a drain on society, it also creates a tangible financial incentive to avoid obesity. Win/win.
Original post by marcus2001
I think the real solution is that the government should introduce a fat tax, this would be compulsory for everyone and go into a gastric band fund, if they ever reached the obese stage then their gastric band fund would be used. If they never became obese this is added to their pension, so not only does this prevent fattys from being a drain on society, it also creates a tangible financial incentive to avoid obesity. Win/win.

What do you mean by this?
Original post by Wilfred Little
What do you mean by this?

the real solution to bringing obesity rates is to impose a compulsory fat tax on income that goes into a gastric band fund
Reply 119

Watching that is the most depressing thing ever after a huge night out of binge drinking.

Latest

Trending

Trending