The Student Room Group

Do gay people contribute more than they do harm?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Al-Mudaari
I think this requires a deeper analysis before any conclusions can be made. We must've forget things like;

1)The rising spread of HIV
2)The emotional break down of families. I'd personally feel sorry for parents who have an only child.
3)The rate of depression and suicide amongst LGBT

There's obviously more to it, but I think a lot of answers on this thread will be premature without taking everything into account.

4)ps. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

1) With protection this can be minimized. Also, the widespreadness of it is often attributed to promiscuous individuals who engage in anal sex.
2)Why do you feel sorry for them? What makes you think that a gay person would break down a family?
3)That's usually due to the ignorant actions of non-LGBT+ individuals. In that case, I'd say the gay person was the person being harmed.
4)Do you really hope that?
Reply 21
Gay people give us a chance to open our minds to other ways of living and push society forward...

so, yes, they do more good than harm.
We have higher than average wages and don't produce as many expensive babies.
I think this requires a deeper analysis before any conclusions can be made. We must've forget things like;

- The rising spread of HIV
- The emotional break down of families in general, parents who have an only child may feel distraught.
- The rate of depression and suicide amongst LGBT
- The growing support for other sexualities to become recognized, such as incest. Based on similar arguments there's potential for more outcasted groups to make claim for recognition such as necrophiliacs, cannibals etc. Even pedophiles are attempting to provoke debate.

There's obviously more to it, but I think a lot of answers on this thread will be premature without taking everything into account.

ps. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Is it not possible to have a thread about gay people without someone bringing pedophiles into it? As for necrophiliacs and cannibals? You are really scraping the barrel here.

HIV is spread by unsafe sex (and other risk behaviours), not by gay people. Lesbians have the lowest transmission rate.

- The emotional break down of families in general, parents who have an only child may feel distraught.

While this can be a concern, I don't think being gay necessitates it, so it's only 'to blame' if it's in conjunction with homophobia in the family. I know my parents are perfectly fine with my bisexual brother.

People don't get depressed and commit suicide because they're LGBT, they are depressed and commit suicide because they are bullied or told they'll go to hell etc. for being LGBT.

- The growing support for other sexualities to become recognized, such as incest. Based on similar arguments there's potential for more outcasted groups to make claim for recognition such as necrophiliacs, cannibals etc. Even pedophiles are attempting to provoke debate.

The only one of those that might possibly have a case due to the acceptance of homosexuality is incest, all of the others have problems in that consent is impossible.
Even in cases of incest, it is still hard to establish consent.

I agree.

ps. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Not me, just like to point out some flaws in your premature arguments as well.
(edited 10 years ago)

Not something which is exclusive and/or a genetic trait of gay people. Saying that the spread of HIV amongst Africans meaning that they do more harm than good in Britain, for example, is analogous.

Anyway, this is not a constant, long-term thing. Firstly, a culture which is causing this amongst gay people may alter in the future and, secondly, HIV is likely to be almost cured in a few decades.

No different to families devastated by their white daughter marrying a black man.

If you're referring to grandchildren, then the parent can still have a grandchild (IVF, adoption) and the same argument applies to parents of a sterile only child.

Not a reflection of gay people themselves, but of the culture towards gay people in society. The latter must change for this to reduce and as gay people become more and more accepted it is likely to reduce.

Again, a short-term thing which is not inherent to gay people.

Slippery slope argument. If we allow heterosexuals to have sex in the privacy of their bedrooms, then why not incestuous couples?

Such relationships should be evaluated on their own merits, linking them to homosexuality is as fallacious as linking them to heterosexuality.

P.S. How do these outweigh the positives gay people contribute to society as tax-paying citizens? If you want to quote obscure articles, I can quite articles which suggest that gay people are more wealthy, educated, etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Wait what supposed harm do they cause? :lolwut:

It's a fairly standard thing; we have population issues. Gay couples don't make babies. There is nothing but gain, in many ways it should be encouraged in our culture.

Yes! We should encourage this lifestyle choice :redface:
Original post by Kiss

Still not a choice.
Original post by Kiss

Really? Or are you being facetious?
Reply 29
Original post by minimarshmallow
Still not a choice.

Original post by Lady Comstock
Really? Or are you being facetious?

That was the point. You can't choose to be gay so you can't 'encourage it'.
Original post by Kiss
That was the point. You can't choose to be gay so you can't 'encourage it'.

Indeed.
Original post by Gillybop
We're expecting tidal surges in Scotland tonight, must be a big old gay Orgy on the go.

that's my fault i held the door open for one at work, gods pissed.
Reply 32
I dont see what harm they do? And when it comes to the bedroom they do the same stuff as an experienced, adventurous heterosexual couple would do? On another note i dont see how stuff people do in private affects others in the community.

They are living breathing people, if they were heterosexual youd have no problem with them, even if they were causing harm. But because they like different 'something that isnt normal' in your eyes, you'd like to make silly allegations up and ridiculous excuses up to compensate for your lack of intellect and the ability to grow as a human being and a person. You accept family members and friends for who they are, accept others for their choices and decisions.

(When i say you, i mean all those haters out there and thing that homosexuals are alien when they are actually homosapiens)
Reply 33
Original post by Lady Comstock
So, to some, the thought of a gay couple having sex in the privacy of their bedroom is icky.

But does their contribution to society, as (mostly) tax-paying citizens, outweigh any supposed harm they cause?

All harm is what they provide. They burden the nhs with increasing cases of aids and stis and they rape young children to force the gay. Stop the gay now before the gay spreads like cancer.
anyone who deems what they do in their bedrooms as "icky" is far too immature to have their opinion heard.
Reply 35
Homophobia is stupid. Who care what gender someone wants to shag?

As for it being 'icky', all sex is filthy if you do it right :wink:

Honestly, gay people probably do the same, if not less 'harm' than I do to society :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending