The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Pop Music Dead?

Scroll to see replies

I think the bitterness of us 20 somethings with this is that we're the last of an age where popular music used to be a genuine statement musically and cultrally (though both are a synergy of each other in pop/rock I think). people used to be really effected by pop music - now its seen as superficial fun, probably even by the teenagers that consume it - though, in reality the video game industry is the new pop music nowerdays.
Reply 61
Original post by thisismypassword
I think the bitterness of us 20 somethings with this is that we're the last of an age where popular music used to be a genuine statement musically and cultrally (though both are a synergy of each other in pop/rock I think). people used to be really effected by pop music - now its seen as superficial fun, probably even by the teenagers that consume it - though, in reality the video game industry is the new pop music nowerdays.

How do you mean?

You mean the soundtracks to video games? (Like the music in FIFA etc) Or video games in general? Interesting none the less...

I dunno, I mean I wouldn't say pop music was great when I was growing up either tbh, I think the 90s was the last great decade for real pop music.

But who cares anyway, if you really care for music, you'll look for the proper stuff you feel you can relate to and enjoy.
Reply 62
Original post by thisismypassword

Original post by zKlown
How do you mean?

You mean the soundtracks to video games? (Like the music in FIFA etc) Or video games in general? Interesting none the less...

I dunno, I mean I wouldn't say pop music was great when I was growing up either tbh, I think the 90s was the last great decade for real pop music.

But who cares anyway, if you really care for music, you'll look for the proper stuff you feel you can relate to and enjoy.

Both funny.
It was never good, just you grow up in this era and you have romantic feelings.

Was this good?

[video="youtube;WMPM1q_Uyxc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPM1q_Uyxc[/video]

Crap quality in every way.
Reply 63
Original post by sbj
Both funny.
It was never good, just you grow up in this era and you have romantic feelings.

Was this good?

[video="youtube;WMPM1q_Uyxc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPM1q_Uyxc[/video]

Crap quality in every way.

Not particularly, I was talking more Oasis and Blur as well as prodigy, faithless, chemical brothers etc. Who had an impact culturally as well as musically. I do agree on the romantic feelings point tho, I am guilty of that sometimes.
Reply 64
It really depends on the act. Some are good, some are basically the music equivalent of junk food. I also feel like saying that listening to several genres, underground AND mainstream, will be beneficial if you're not into pop.

Latest

Trending

Trending