The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are smokers so inconsiderate and never care who breathes their smoke?

Scroll to see replies

Simple solution: ask them to move away politely, or move away yourself.
Original post by creativeone707
That's a bit one sided. Its not the nonsmoker co taminating its breathing environment. It is a very inco side rate practice. Smoking technically isn't passive, it doesn't just effect the smoker it effects everyone around them.
When you really think about it, Smokers are the worst kind of entitled sociopath

There is no evidence that smoking can have a passive effect on others when they are outside as there is space for the fumes to go.

This anti-smoker rhetoric "smokers are sociopaths" is just a bigoted attitude. The sociopaths are those who want to use force to restrict others actions.
Reply 82
It's really sad that simple common curtsies have all but disappeared with most people these days. I work with several smokers who enjoy taking 5 smoke breaks a day and crowd around the outside of our back door where we have to park. It seems smokers don't really understand just how awful they smell, and just walking through the cloud of smoke sticks on my clothes and hair the entire day until I can go home and wash it off. Not to mention I have asthma and the smoke has caused coughing fits at times for me. Human decency is being considerate to others, and since you seem to not have that quality I should probably tell you that opening doors, picking up your dogs feces, allowing other cars to pull in front of you, and not texting/calling people while at the movies are also things good people try to do. For a more detailed list you should probably google 'how to be a more thoughtful person'. If more people tried to be considerate to others our world would be a much better place.
Original post by Silver Arrows
Why can't we ban all junk food? Why can't we ban any car that can go over 100mph? They would face a massive backlash. Smoking is decreasing in popularity anyway, but there is still too many to have a complete ban. Simply don't go near someone who smokes.

Sometimes you have no choice though like when I was in a queue yesterday, they were in a group and so they could have left and then came back when they'd finished

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Why ya try test how me bun da chalice? JAH!!
Lol. People aren't gonna be considering others when smoking, and not bother because of what others think. When somebody is addicted they experience impairment of mood/concentration just hours after their last cigarette. All they wanna do is reduce that stress by smoking. It's incredibly ignorant, of course, because it's the effects of the nicotine itself that is continuing that stress.

For YEARS, me and my mum/sister told my dad that we didn't like it that he smoked. Cigarette smoke gives me headaches, it makes my mum's eye condition worse, and obviously, it's bad for his health. He's only recently stopped. When I say stopped, he's replaced it with an e-cigarette, which I guess is an improvement, but he doesn't seem to want to get off that either now. I don't know what made him stop to be honest. But despite the effect it had on his family, that wasn't enough to get him to stop. So smokers most certainly are not considerate when inhaling that stuff, and it's a shame.
uploading cancer is more like it. Enjoy. You either die of huge holes in your lungs or you get cancer. Enjoyment, more like stupidlity. But hey, we don't care about your either. Perhaps one day we have the enjoyment of seeing you hooked up with Chemo which slowly poisons you, or a portable bottle of oxygen :smile: which you have to lug around on your 5% available lung capacity LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Original post by CJKay
Agreed OP. Quite frankly, I'm getting sick of not being able to walk down a street without ensuring I take an inhaler with me. And does anybody actually abide by those "you must be 10ft away from this sign to smoke" signs?

But they do. :s-smilie: It just smells of smoke and mint.

The fact of the matter is you probably need your inhaler because of pollutants from cars, Lorries and buses spewing toxins from their exhaust pipes. At home you're more likely to need an inhaler because of house dust and fibres.
Seriously get over yourself. You sound like a first class drama queen. Are you seriously saying a passing smoker is damaging your health while tens, hundreds of cars drive past you out on the street. (Major eye-roll)
(None-smoker)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 88
Every time I walk by a door, there are smokers, and I can’t get away from it. Yes, walking by smokers for even a few seconds makes my hair and clothes smell like smoke where I have to endure it for longer. It makes me sick. How can I avoid it if they’re smoking by the doors? There they are...always by the doors. The designated smoking areas should be 100 yards away from all doors. It’s ********. I have to smell smoke all day even outdoors going in and out of buildings. Smoking needs to be outlawed.
Original post by chocolatesauce
And chewing gum won't get rid of the smell!

i don't like smokers

Latest

Trending

Trending