The Student Room Group

The FGM debate thread?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by captain.sensible
your first point, what the heck are you talking about? men have nipples because of the fetal development process. and in terms of "cleaner" we could all cut our ears off because we get wax in those folds in our ears, does that mean we should cut them off? we definitely should if we're willing to cut off our pleasure-inducing penile skin like you're advocating; what are ears in comparison to that? nothing. and masturbation for me as an example would be impossible without a foreskin, I doubt you'll be able to sympathise seeing as a) you have no idea what it would feel like, and b) you already have your mind set on the favouring of MGM. and again, the removal of the clit hood would be "pointless" but so what? MGM is pointless but people still do it and claim it is done for legitimate reasons when it's not

You're claiming why do men have foreskins if they're not needed. There are several body parts that aren't needed

Ears provide a useful function, the foreskin doesn't. You've been shown a study which proves it makes no difference but you're refusing to believe it

Why the hell would masturbation be impossible without a foreskin? I know plenty of circumcised guys, most of them masturbate... :curious:

Cutting off the clitoral hood doesn't provide any benefits such as cleanliness or reduced disease transmission

stop referring to it as MGM, if it was cutting off the penis then yes, but is is not
your first point, what the heck are you talking about? men have nipples because of the fetal development process. and in terms of "cleaner" we could all cut our ears off because we get wax in those folds in our ears, does that mean we should cut them off? we definitely should if we're willing to cut off our pleasure-inducing penile skin like you're advocating; what are ears in comparison to that? nothing. and masturbation for me as an example would be impossible without a foreskin, I doubt you'll be able to sympathise seeing as a) you have no idea what it would feel like, and b) you already have your mind set on the favouring of MGM. and again, the removal of the clit hood would be "pointless" but so what? MGM is pointless but people still do it and claim it is done for legitimate reasons when it's not

masturbating without a foreskin is perfectly possible. and 'm.g.m.' as you call it is done for medical purposes too; f.g.m. certainly isn't.

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Ears provide a useful function, the foreskin doesn't. You've been shown a study which proves it makes no difference but you're refusing to believe it

it's not a study. it's a meta-analysis that has looked at over 35 studies. but no, the whimsical intuition of this guy clearly beats scientific rigour :rolleyes:

stop referring to it as MGM, if it was cutting off the penis then yes, but is is not

this, the equivalent to f.g.m. for a male would be to have the entire glans removed.
Original post by Slazenger
masturbating without a foreskin is perfectly possible. and 'm.g.m.' as you call it is done for medical purposes too; f.g.m. certainly isn't.

it's not a study. it's a meta-analysis that has looked at over 35 studies. but no, the whimsical intuition of this guy clearly beats scientific rigour :rolleyes:

this, the equivalent to f.g.m. for a male would be to have the entire glans removed.

It's really irritating, you show proof but somehow we're still wrong.
You're claiming why do men have foreskins if they're not needed. There are several body parts that aren't needed

Why the hell would masturbation be impossible without a foreskin? I know plenty of circumcised guys, most of them masturbate... :curious:

Cutting off the clitoral hood doesn't provide any benefits such as cleanliness or reduced disease transmission

and just like I've said before, I didn't say it would be impossible to masturbate forever, I said that in order for masturbation I'd have to wait until my penis head hardened as a response to the new environmental pressures, meaning that it would lose sensitivity. any man with a foreskin will know that before the foreskin is even remotely detracted from the head during child hood, the penis head will be literally too sensitive to touch, that's because it's never been exposed or pressurised, and if a child had been circumcised, obviously this wouldn't be the case because their penis heads would have had years of exposure and thus hardening. so therefore, it is clear that this study probably tested only individuals from each came, opposed to getting people to report during the period of being uncircumcised, and then reporting again after being circumcised.

and if you really think the foreskin isn't needed then really you're making a mockery of this issue - foreskins were evolved for similar functions as the eye lid - for protective purposes, and as well as "keeping the glans moist, protecting the developing penis in utero, or enhancing sexual pleasure due to the presence of nerve receptors" which are obviously evolutionary developments to aid the ability of males to reproduce. the fact that a girl is arguing that the foreskin is useless really just goes to show how she will never understand seeing as she doesn't have a (uncircumcised) penis. it's like me saying that the clitoral hood is useless - it's ridiculous, and even more ridiculous to say that it should be removed when it has evolutionary necessities. and in terms of cleanliness, if you shower or bath and you pull back the foreskin, then that split second each time a person washes will save a man his sexual/anatomic integrity. and in terms of STDs/STIs, what about condoms? getting circumcised will reduced the spread of STDs by about 1% while condoms will reduce it by about 99%. and to circumcise a baby not only for something they aren't going to do (only if they are an adult will they have unprotected sex so they should wait until then when they can weigh up the pros and cons themselves, if there are even any pros but whatever) but it is violence and against freedom and human rights/dignity. a huge part of the issue of FGM is that it hurts to have it done, considerably. and that's the same part of MGM that I'm suggesting here.

and you probably know "many circumcised guys" (how you came about to even know that is pretty odd) that were *always* circumcised, or had to wait until their penis head desensitised.

and again, technically, it would make the clitoral area cleaner without the clitoris, which would block the area from being able to be cleaned more fully. so what? that's not my argument, the cleanliness argument to justify mutilation is yours!

and a considerable amount of FGM isn't cutting of the clitoris, it's cutting out the "inner lips". seems just like the cutting off of the foreskin to me - those pesky lips would simply "get in the way" of sex and cleaning! [sarcasm]
and just like I've said before, I didn't say it would be impossible to masturbate forever, I said that in order for masturbation I'd have to wait until my penis head hardened as a response to the new environmental pressures, meaning that it would lose sensitivity. any man with a foreskin will know that before the foreskin is even remotely detracted from the head during child hood, the penis head will be literally too sensitive to touch, that's because it's never been exposed or pressurised, and if a child had been circumcised, obviously this wouldn't be the case because their penis heads would have had years of exposure and thus hardening. so therefore, it is clear that this study probably tested only individuals from each came, opposed to getting people to report during the period of being uncircumcised, and then reporting again after being circumcised.

and if you really think the foreskin isn't needed then really you're making a mockery of this issue - foreskins were evolved for similar functions as the eye lid - for protective purposes, and as well as "keeping the glans moist, protecting the developing penis in utero, or enhancing sexual pleasure due to the presence of nerve receptors" which are obviously evolutionary developments to aid the ability of males to reproduce. the fact that a girl is arguing that the foreskin is useless really just goes to show how she will never understand seeing as she doesn't have a (uncircumcised) penis. it's like me saying that the clitoral hood is useless - it's ridiculous, and even more ridiculous to say that it should be removed when it has evolutionary necessities. and in terms of cleanliness, if you shower or bath and you pull back the foreskin, then that split second each time a person washes will save a man his sexual/anatomic integrity. and in terms of STDs/STIs, what about condoms? getting circumcised will reduced the spread of STDs by about 1% while condoms will reduce it by about 99%. and to circumcise a baby not only for something they aren't going to do (only if they are an adult will they have unprotected sex so they should wait until then when they can weigh up the pros and cons themselves, if there are even any pros but whatever) but it is violence and against freedom and human rights/dignity. a huge part of the issue of FGM is that it hurts to have it done, considerably. and that's the same part of MGM that I'm suggesting here.

and you probably know "many circumcised guys" (how you came about to even know that is pretty odd) that were *always* circumcised, or had to wait until their penis head desensitised.

and again, technically, it would make the clitoral area cleaner without the clitoris, which would block the area from being able to be cleaned more fully. so what? that's not my argument, the cleanliness argument to justify mutilation is yours!

and a considerable amount of FGM isn't cutting of the clitoris, it's cutting out the "inner lips". seems just like the cutting off of the foreskin to me - those pesky lips would simply "get in the way" of sex and cleaning! [sarcasm]

Yes, you clearly know better than a meta analysis.

I don't particularly think the clitoral hood is useful either. I have no desire to go around chopping people's clitoral hoods off, but that is not what people mean when they talk about FGM. Yeah well done, back when no one wore clothes and their bodies were exposed all the time

Condoms do yes but being circumcised helps

Why is that weird? I have several friends who are guys from religions where it's pretty normal to be circumcised, I've been around for guy talk..

How does not having a clitoris make it cleaner? Again the comparable would be cutting off the cock not just the foreskin..

You do realise women can choose to get their lips shortened because it looks better and makes sex easier? If that proceedure was done under anaesthetic, and left the clitoris alone, I wouldn't really have a problem with labiaplasty being done
Yes, you clearly know better than a meta analysis.

I don't particularly think the clitoral hood is useful either. I have no desire to go around chopping people's clitoral hoods off, but that is not what people mean when they talk about FGM. Yeah well done, back when no one wore clothes and their bodies were exposed all the time

Condoms do yes but being circumcised helps

Why is that weird? I have several friends who are guys from religions where it's pretty normal to be circumcised, I've been around for guy talk..

How does not having a clitoris make it cleaner? Again the comparable would be cutting off the cock not just the foreskin..

You do realise women can choose to get their lips shortened because it looks better and makes sex easier? If that proceedure was done under anaesthetic, and left the clitoris alone, I wouldn't really have a problem with labiaplasty being done

1) I'd listen to that analysis if it's methods were transparent; all it said was "we found at *insert result*" - I know they had a sizeable sample group on each side but so what? how did they use them? I'm only suspicious because the result seems deeply absurd
2) for one thing you're agreeing with my point then - hypothetically speaking, if the hood of the clitoris is useless, that doesn't suggest that we ought to mutilate it. and what are you talking about? back when we didn't wear clothes? that wasn't what I said - the fact that clothes brush against parts of our genitals means that it eventually causes the desensitisation of those parts.
3) condoms do the whole job! if you're wearing a condom (as most people would for sex if I'm to sensibly assume) then what point is there of the foreskin? babies don't spread STDs, as I stated before, so again I have no idea how it is justified to do it to a child who may turn out to be abstinent
4) and again you've perfectly proven my point - these people you know were always circumcised so not only would they not understand the betterment of the foreskin but they inevitably had their penis heads become less sensitive or else masturbation wouldn't be possible
5) because if we're talking about the functioning and the cleanliness of the entirely of the vagina, the clit being removed would make it easier to clean because there wouldn't be anything blocking any part of the region. I'm not advocating that we cut off the clitoris, I'm simply transferring the logic.
6) they choose to get their lips lengthened? a) consent is a justified way of doing something like that, having it done through force is not (e.g. child MGM) and b) how does this relate to what I said?
(edited 10 years ago)

right, two of the 35 studies were high-quality, large-scale randomised-controlled trials. i'm assuming you don't know what this is, so i'll explain:
both studies included group of c. 2500 men. half got circumcised, half didn't. they were asked about their sexual pleasure, sexual dysfunction, etc. at baseline (i.e. when both groups are uncircumcised) and then at 6 monthly intervals for 2 years post circumcision. no statistically significant difference was found between the groups in either trial.

several other studies are surveys with men who have undergone circumcision as adults, having previously employed their uncircumcised penis for sexual activity. again, no statistically significant difference.

you see, when scientists conduct meta-analyses, they do have to cover their bases, or it doesn't get published (at least not in the journal they'd like). your super-duper alternative explanation has been covered at length in the study.

if you don't 'buy' this then you literally cannot be reasoned with. it might 'dullen' the sensitivity of the head, but this clearly doesn't impact upon the pleasure derived from sexual activity (which is, by and large, computed in the brain anyway).

edit:
and in terms of STDs/STIs, what about condoms? getting circumcised will reduced the spread of STDs by about 1% while condoms will reduce it by about 99%.

you do realise that in countries where millions of people have a.i.d.s., this could make a pretty substantial difference? 1% in the medical world is no scornful figure.
(edited 10 years ago)

Not at all. For starters FGM is a spectrum. It refers to a portion of practices that are definitely not as severe as male circumcision, it refers to a portion that are as severe, and it refers to a portion that are more severe. FGM can be anything from a ceremonial pinprick to something quite grizzly. You can't talk about equivalences between the two. But any sane individual would agree that male circumcision amounts to genital mutilation. That's what it is. The medical benefits of it are marginal if they exist at all, and there are in fact many negative results from circumcision, in extreme cases children have died as a result.

With this in mind. It does in my opinion seem quite clear that the sensible situation is to criminalise it (with the exceptions of when it is a medical necessity). The person who should make that decision should be the person whose genitalia it is.
it might 'dullen' the sensitivity of the head, but this clearly doesn't impact upon the pleasure derived from sexual activity (which is, by and large, computed in the brain anyway).

if you remove the sexual nerve receptors from the penis then obviously you'll have less of a sexual sensation, so of course dullening the penis, as it would suggest, takes away the positivity of it to a relative degree. whether it is that significant to cause problems is subjective but clearly it eventually (not at first) desensitises the sensation that that part of the body is supposed to have in terms of its evolutionary development and its impact on our relative ability to climax
right, two of the 35 studies were high-quality, large-scale randomised-controlled trials. i'm assuming you don't know what this is, so i'll explain:
both studies included group of c. 2500 men. half got circumcised, half didn't. they were asked about their sexual pleasure, sexual dysfunction, etc. at baseline (i.e. when both groups are uncircumcised) and then at 6 monthly intervals for 2 years post circumcision. no statistically significant difference was found between the groups in either trial.

several other studies are surveys with men who have undergone circumcision as adults, having previously employed their uncircumcised penis for sexual activity. again, no statistically significant difference.

you see, when scientists conduct meta-analyses, they do have to cover their bases, or it doesn't get published (at least not in the journal they'd like). your super-duper alternative explanation has been covered at length in the study.

if you don't 'buy' this then you literally cannot be reasoned with. it might 'dullen' the sensitivity of the head, but this clearly doesn't impact upon the pleasure derived from sexual activity (which is, by and large, computed in the brain anyway).

edit:

you do realise that in countries where millions of people have a.i.d.s., this could make a pretty substantial difference? 1% in the medical world is no scornful figure.

How many sexually active toddlers do you know? By the time people are old enough to be having sex and worrying about these issues, they're also old enough to decide whether or not they want to be circumcised.

Also. 1% may be a substantial margin, but does it warrant such an extreme practice for it to be achieved? Again, I think that decision should be completely down to the person whose genitalia it is.

you'd have a point if we lived in a time and place where mutilating ourselves to stop an aids pandemic would be "necessary" (by an increase of ~1%)
if you remove the sexual nerve receptors from the penis then obviously you'll have less of a sexual sensation, so of course dullening the penis, as it would suggest, takes away the positivity of it to a relative degree. whether it is that significant to cause problems is subjective but clearly it eventually (not at first) desensitises the sensation that that part of the body is supposed to have in terms of its evolutionary development and its impact on our relative ability to climax

right. ignore the reams of data i present to you and focus on the relatively insignificant last sentence.

when you remove nerves from something, oftentimes the nerves that remain become more sensitive or react in a way so as to compensate for the loss. this is why procedures for severe, chronic pain in which sensory nerves are severed often only work for a limited period of time.

Original post by limetang
Also. 1% may be a substantial margin, but does it warrant such an extreme practice for it to be achieved? Again, I think that decision should be completely down to the person whose genitalia it is.

i'm not arguing the politics, i just wanted to point out that talking about 1% as small figure when the group we're applying it to is enormous is quite short-sighted. the politics largely bore me.
right. ignore the reams of data i present to you and focus on the relatively insignificant last sentence.

when you remove nerves from something, oftentimes the nerves that remain become more sensitive or react in a way so as to compensate for the loss. this is why procedures for severe, chronic pain in which sensory nerves are severed often only work for a limited period of time..

you never told me where you found the information about the study, because it certainly wasn't on that link, so again, it doesn't serve to satisfy. and are you arguing that second paragraph for circumcision? I thought you said it dullened the penis?
you never told me where you found the information about the study, because it certainly wasn't on that link, so again, it doesn't serve to satisfy. and are you arguing that second paragraph for circumcision? I thought you said it dullened the penis?

study .pdf is attached. go nuts.

yes, but the sensory nervous system is plastic. it's not a set in stone thing: if you remove some nerves/lose the function of some nerves, others become more active and respond to manage the loss.
Let's assume (for the sake of argument) that there was the same amount of evidence as there is for male circumcision that certain forms of FGM that were analogous to male circumcision reduced STI's urinary tract infections etc. by the same rate that it does for male circumcision. Would that be an acceptable reason to make those certain forms of Female Genital Mutilation legal?

Because if it isn't then we very much have our answer on whether the male form should be legal as well.
1) I'd listen to that analysis if it's methods were transparent; all it said was "we found at *insert result*" - I know they had a sizeable sample group on each side but so what? how did they use them? I'm only suspicious because the result seems deeply absurd
2) for one thing you're agreeing with my point then - hypothetically speaking, if the hood of the clitoris is useless, that doesn't suggest that we ought to mutilate it. and what are you talking about? back when we didn't wear clothes? that wasn't what I said - the fact that clothes brush against parts of our genitals means that it eventually causes the desensitisation of those parts.
3) condoms do the whole job! if you're wearing a condom (as most people would for sex if I'm to sensibly assume) then what point is there of the foreskin? babies don't spread STDs, as I stated before, so again I have no idea how it is justified to do it to a child who may turn out to be abstinent
4) and again you've perfectly proven my point - these people you know were always circumcised so not only would they not understand the betterment of the foreskin but they inevitably had their penis heads become less sensitive or else masturbation wouldn't be possible
5) because if we're talking about the functioning and the cleanliness of the entirely of the vagina, the clit being removed would make it easier to clean because there wouldn't be anything blocking any part of the region. I'm not advocating that we cut off the clitoris, I'm simply transferring the logic.
6) they choose to get their lips lengthened? a) consent is a justified way of doing something like that, having it done through force is not (e.g. child MGM) and b) how does this relate to what I said?

1) Seems absurd because you disagree?

2) I never said the reason for circumcision is because it's useless. It's for other reasons

3) Because it also helps in prevention of HPV, something people don't realise they have and people may have unprotected sex with..

4) You're aplpying YOUR experience to everyone

5) The clitoris doesn't cover anything, it's not a flap of skin. So it doesn't make it harder to clean

6) Shortened. You said shall we cut the lips off because it makes sex difficult. I was pointing out people do do that
Original post by limetang
Let's assume (for the sake of argument) that there was the same amount of evidence as there is for male circumcision that certain forms of FGM that were analogous to male circumcision reduced STI's urinary tract infections etc. by the same rate that it does for male circumcision. Would that be an acceptable reason to make those certain forms of Female Genital Mutilation legal?

Because if it isn't then we very much have our answer on whether the male form should be legal as well.

If just removing the clitoral hood and nothing else, and it had certain benefits, then yes
Reply 117
I've not read many of the posts. I presume by now that someone has raised the issue of why to talk about 'female genital mutilation' instead of simply 'genital mutilation'. To that would be feminists arguing that FGM is worse, that MGM is beneficial (there are some small-sized, limited-selection studies that conclude this, though large-scale and empirical evidence contradicts it) and that FGM is happening all over the UK and therefore the current government budget of around £47 million pounds a year is not nearly enough.

Is everyone aware yet that female genital mutilation has been illegal for 28 years in the UK? That the law was tightened up 11 years ago to include females being circumcised abroad? Is everyone aware that in 28 years there has not been a single conviction for FGM? In the past 11 years - despite many claims to 'know' it is going on and talk of the 'proof' of it happening all over the place, there has not even been a single prosecution! All it takes is the evidence of female genitals being cut for anything other than medical reasons and the proof is there. Labiaplasty has been discussed in the national press yet despite the fact that it is illegal, there is still no evidence.

Meanwhile, in the UK around half a million boys are at risk of being genitally mutilated before age 16. Without being able to choose for themselves (as very few males ever do) boys as young as just a few days are having their genitalia permanently damaged. Around 8 of them every year will die as a direct result and another thousand or so will suffer severe complications, even including needing to be castrated. It really does not matter if this is 'better' or 'worse' than it being done to girls: it is still bad. Genital mutilation is child abuse and it will never be stamped out on females when the message against it is so confused that the equivalent abuse on males is tolerated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending