The Student Room Group

Basics of integration

I am finding the topic of integration quite difficult, but particularly when I get questions asking for area under a function!
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with calculating the area between a function AND a straight line so I become more confident in the subject.

Thank you!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mr Mondai
I am finding the topic of integration quite difficult, but particularly when I get questions asking for area under a function!
I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this question so I become more confident in the subject :biggrin: :

"Calculate the area enclosed by the curve y = (x -1)^3 and the straight line y = (x -1). Make a sketch, labelling the points at which the curve intersects the straight line."

Thank you!!!

I assume you know what the graph x^3 looks like? So if we add in (x-1) in that would move it one unit to the right. Draw a sketch of that finding out where the graph crosses the x axis setting y=0. Draw the line y=x-1. Post a picture once you have sketched it we should be able to help you from there.
Original post by Super199
I assume you know what the graph x^3 looks like? So if we add in (x-1) in that would move it one unit to the right. Draw a sketch of that finding out where the graph crosses the x axis setting y=0. Draw the line y=x-1. Post a picture once you have sketched it we should be able to help you from there.

Area between y=(x1)3y=(x-1)^3 and the x axis is (x1)3dx\int(x-1)^3 dx and that between line y=x1y=x-1 and x axis is (x1)dx\int(x-1)dx so area between them is [(x1)3(x1)]dx\int[(x-1)^3-(x-1)]dx evaluated between the x coordinates of the points of intersection.
Reply 3
Original post by brianeverit
Area between y=(x1)3y=(x-1)^3 and the x axis is (x1)3dx\int(x-1)^3 dx and that between line y=x1y=x-1 and x axis is (x1)dx\int(x-1)dx so area between them is [(x1)3(x1)]dx\int[(x-1)^3-(x-1)]dx evaluated between the x coordinates of the points of intersection.

mm, I haven't actually covered this topic yet in class. I never knew you could do it like that. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest