The Student Room Group

F215 OCR biology revision thread!

Hey guys, just thought I would open this up so we can discuss revision techniques or any questions or queries before the exam!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This has been really useful in the past for other exams so I think a thread on this exam will good
Reply 2
That's what I thought, we just need more people to discuss haha :smile:
Reply 3
Hi :smile: How much of the topic have you guys done? Oh and is anyone else struggling with the genetic diagrams or is it just me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey I find the genetic diagrams quite simple, what is it you struggle with :smile: I'll try and help. I'm only just getting into my real revision... Just did a mock of F215 and got 2 marks off a B so I'm determined I can do much better!
Reply 5
Can you get friends or whatever to join the thread so we have more guys :smile: thank you!
Reply 6
Hi guys! how much have you covered in prep for the exams? My teacher is pretty rubbish so I'm basically self teaching but I haven't started revision for it yet. Feeling a bit behind.

Btw what genetic diagrams? I haven't come across any yet.
Wow you guys have finished F215 we've still got all of biotechnology, half of the genetics module and some plant hormone stuff left :redface: :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Genetic diagrams are like inheritance crosses (mono and dihybrid crosses) and epistaxis and all that. Yeah my teacher felt if we did F215 until end of jan and then went back to it once a week during F214 it would be a lot better. We've also covered a lot of F214 during F215 anyway so it's quite simple :smile: I have bio tech and plant responses :/
Reply 9
Also I make these a lot on my whiteboard at home :smile: just an idea for revision, it goes in when you're not really looking but you know it's there! image.jpg
Reply 10
Ive been making notes using the textbook, making sure that I am able to answer all of the "By the end of this spread, you should be able to.." specification at the top of the page.

With the exam Ive found that the best way to revise is trying to visualise everything, so Ellala's idea of using a whiteboard is appealing
Reply 11
I got my whiteboard off amazon, they are so useful!!! I've also got magazines/posters from the wellcome trust for free! They have loads from cells to protein synthesis as well as animations... You can get all the posters and mags delivered to your house for free, they are pretty awesome! My protein synthesis one is currently hogging space on my wall :wink: http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Education-resources/Education-and-learning/Big-Picture/All-issues/Proteins/index.htm there is the link!
bricking it for this exam - too much to learn.
Reply 13
This is a good idea- this threadi imean. What kinda techniques did people use last year because although i revised everything, i didt do aswell asi expected. It was my exam technnique. Anyone have good tips about how to improve it perhaps?
Reply 14
Original post by Ellala
Genetic diagrams are like inheritance crosses (mono and dihybrid crosses) and epistaxis and all that. Yeah my teacher felt if we did F215 until end of jan and then went back to it once a week during F214 it would be a lot better. We've also covered a lot of F214 during F215 anyway so it's quite simple :smile: I have bio tech and plant responses :/

Had a look at the examples on sickle cell anaemia and haemophilia, its all coming back now haha. We finished the cellular control module way back at the start of Jan so its like relearning everything again.
Oh wow you started F215 before F214? Ah yes same, got half of biotechnology and yet to start the last module :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by greenmind
Had a look at the examples on sickle cell anaemia and haemophilia, its all coming back now haha. We finished the cellular control module way back at the start of Jan so its like relearning everything again.
Oh wow you started F215 before F214? Ah yes same, got half of biotechnology and yet to start the last module :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my teacher is really good, she was quite quick, but still detailed... We use workbooks in my college so the *easier* ones such as plant responses and a bit of ecosystems she left us to do over holidays and stuff :smile: I don't know proper revision will allow me to get a better grade!
Reply 16
Original post by Buggybear1
This is a good idea- this threadi imean. What kinda techniques did people use last year because although i revised everything, i didt do aswell asi expected. It was my exam technnique. Anyone have good tips about how to improve it perhaps?

Hey, what I did last year is printed out all the past papers.. I then did one question one at a time and had the mark scheme next to me... Mark one by one.. Highlight answers that you wrote that are on the mark scheme in one colour, write down other points you didn't get in another colour and then stuff you didn't know in another so you can go through past papers and quickly identify your faults (learning the answers effectively)
Also I traffic lighted the specification so red was no idea, yellow was unsure and green was confident so you know which things you really need to work on... I hope this helped a lot :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Ellala
Hey, what I did last year is printed out all the past papers.. I then did one question one at a time and had the mark scheme next to me... Mark one by one.. Highlight answers that you wrote that are on the mark scheme in one colour, write down other points you didn't get in another colour and then stuff you didn't know in another so you can go through past papers and quickly identify your faults (learning the answers effectively)
Also I traffic lighted the specification so red was no idea, yellow was unsure and green was confident so you know which things you really need to work on... I hope this helped a lot :smile:

Thanks a lot! It really helped and I'm going to do just that. thank u so much if you don't mind me asking how did you make you're notes? Was it like base do n every point in the spec or what is based on the structure of the book? At the moment I'm using the main textbook plus the Philip Allan ones and cgp.
Reply 18
I've finished all the Biotechnology, and am now just on the last two sections.
I've found the whole module really boring, as my teacher hasn't been inventive, just showing us very boring powerpoints and making us write it all down.
I've much preferred F214.
But yeah, for revision I've started to do what I did last year (purely because of force from teachers, I don't like revising this early)
I'm making posters, roughly one per double page spread of the textbook, with key definitions on.
I'm then going to make detailed, coloured notes in a Pukka Pad, going through the spec to ensure I've covered it all.
I will then go and do literally all the past papers.
That along with making some flash cards for use when walking to and from school, will be it for me.
wow f215 thread :love:
are there any others for different units?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending