The Student Room Group

Has anybody else been following the Oscar Pistorius trial?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
That's the point, it's like with Brevik where it was about where he was going, not whether he was guilty. It was clearly intentional and/or he has mental problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This whole case is just really sad. They weren't allowed to show Oscar having to take is prostheses off and show how well he could walk in front of the judge and her assessors. I think that could potentially be a crucial point in this case.
Reply 381
Guilty. His version makes no sense. Gerrie Nel may be a 'bulldog' prosecutor, but there has not been anything he has said that I disagree with.
Original post by VannR
Guilty. His version makes no sense. Gerrie Nel may be a 'bulldog' prosecutor, but there has not been anything he has said that I disagree with.

Exactly!

He said he told Reeva to get down and call the police when he 'heard intruders'. There is no way she would not have said anything or made herself heard as he was getting his guns and making his way to the bathroom.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 383
This tops the Jodi Arias trial.

But I've haven't watched it lately as I'm getting sick of seeing his face.
He is only marginally less appealing than Rolf Harris.
Original post by Pinkyluva08
This whole case is just really sad. They weren't allowed to show Oscar having to take is prostheses off and show how well he could walk in front of the judge and her assessors. I think that could potentially be a crucial point in this case.

But the people who need to know, ie the judge and assessors, saw.
I can not believe the police essentially lost a key piece of evidence. Surely they can not get away with that? They has to be doubt now as the fan issue cannot be proved either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I've been following it for a while now. Personally, I don't think the truth about that night will ever be discovered. Two opposite stories from each side. The only thing they agree on is that Reeva was killed.

Whether it be an accident or intentional, he will still get punished for it. 15 years at least, right?
Original post by OutAtStarlight
Yes, I've been following it for a while now. Personally, I don't think the truth about that night will ever be discovered. Two opposite stories from each side. The only thing they agree on is that Reeva was killed.

Whether it be an accident or intentional, he will still get punished for it. 15 years at least, right?

Length depends on how he is found. If he is found guilty of murder he will get much longer, but he should be imprisoned either way.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Length depends on how he is found. If he is found guilty of murder he will get much longer, but he should be imprisoned either way.

From what I remember, I think life (at least 25 years) if found guilty of murder. Lesser charges (I can't remember what) is 15 years. I think he will end up being imprisoned either way
I got a bit bored of it but in the first session I thought his entire court persona was a disaster.
He is giving the court absolutely no reason not to convict him.
Not guilty,

I've watched proceedings everyday and I believe it was not premeditated, even if it was they simply do not have any concrete evidence to suggest premeditation, he may still recieve culpable homicide, but I think thats pretty unlikely especially as judge has a problem with Nell anyway, and ultimately its her decision!
Original post by HollyWoolnough
Not guilty,

I've watched proceedings everyday and I believe it was not premeditated, even if it was they simply do not have any concrete evidence to suggest premeditation, he may still recieve culpable homicide, but I think thats pretty unlikely especially as judge has a problem with Nell anyway, and ultimately its her decision!

He most probably wont be found guilty of premeditated murder but manslaughter is a lesser, more possible charge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HollyWoolnough
Not guilty,

Would just like to point out that under South African law it doesn't matter if he thought it was Reeva in the bathroom or not. If he shot to kill ('the burglar' or Reeva) rather than shot out of fear he can still be found guilty of murder. If Judge Masipa believes his intention was to kill the person behind the door not to scare them out of leaving his home, he can still be found guilty of murder not culpable homicide.
Well, verdict is in. I don't get it. The judge acknowledged the "peculiar" circumstances, like Reeva not answering when Oscar said he told her to call the police. And she could have taken the phone into the loo to use as a light? Give me a break! If the WC is dark, you leave the door open. Why did Reeva lock the door? That is a glaring clue that the judge simply dismissed. Admittedly circumstancial, but still, extremely suspicious.

So much that didn't add up and the judge bought it hook, line and sinker. She put a lot of weight on the fact that Oscar seemed genuinely traumatized by the event. So she thinks it must have been an accident--instead of premeditated. However, if he had shot her out of uncontrolled rage, and then realized too late what he had done, he really would have been upset, especially knowing that he was now in deep ****! I guess the fault lies with Nel. He didn't do much to probe into the possible other scenario, not of premeditated murder, but rather crime of passion, which would have gotten Murder in the second degree (or S. Africa's equivalent verdict). Nel never asked Oscar, well, if you felt vulnerable, why didn't you put on your legs and turn on the light? Anyway, Nel left too many holes to rule out room for reasonable doubt. We will never know what happened in that bathroom. The judge showed a clear bias with sympathy towards Oscar. I guess all that blubbering and retching paid off, genuine or not.
Original post by sopsaxssue
Well, verdict is in. I don't get it. The judge acknowledged the "peculiar" circumstances, like Reeva not answering when Oscar said he told her to call the police. And she could have taken the phone into the loo to use as a light? Give me a break! If the WC is dark, you leave the door open. Why did Reeva lock the door? That is a glaring clue that the judge simply dismissed. Admittedly circumstancial, but still, extremely suspicious.

Or even more logicly: turn the light on?

So much that didn't add up and the judge bought it hook, line and sinker. She put a lot of weight on the fact that Oscar seemed genuinely traumatized by the event. So she thinks it must have been an accident--instead of premeditated. However, if he had shot her out of uncontrolled rage, and then realized too late what he had done, he really would have been upset, especially knowing that he was now in deep ****! I guess the fault lies with Nel. He didn't do much to probe into the possible other scenario, not of premeditated murder, but rather crime of passion, which would have gotten Murder in the second degree (or S. Africa's equivalent verdict). Nel never asked Oscar, well, if you felt vulnerable, why didn't you put on your legs and turn on the light? Anyway, Nel left too many holes to rule out room for reasonable doubt. We will never know what happened in that bathroom. The judge showed a clear bias with sympathy towards Oscar. I guess all that blubbering and retching paid off, genuine or not.

But law is a case of boyind reasonable doubt. If the witnesses were shaky and that's half the evidence then you don't have a very strong case.
But we all knew going into it it would be at least culpable homicide given he admitted to doing it, so no matter what he was going to be fined and/or jailed. What I don't get is how he was acquitted on one of the other charges.
I don't think anyone can be too surprised at the verdict - it was up to the prosecution to prove ultimately that he deliberately murdered reeva in the knowledge of who she was and what he was about to do. All the evidence was inconclusive or irrelevant really so as unlikely as Oscar story sounds it cannot be disproved beyond reasonable doubt
He was obviously going to be found innocent of premeditated murder. But, there's no getting away from the fact that he DID shoot to kill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending