The Student Room Group

What is it like studying a language at university?

I have been given an unconditional to study french which i would add spanish onto to make a joint degree. I also have an unconditional for sociology and criminology!

I have a real knack for language I feel but I am worried incase they are extremely heavy going or difficult at university and I lose my love for them!

I can add french onto sociology and criminology but only during my first year!

What is it like to study a language at uni and is it fun to learn them at uni or do you struggle with it/feel it has made you enjoy them less?

Any opinions or suggestions or anything would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Hard work but fun :-) enjoy!
Reply 2
I love it, but it is a lot of pressure. I'm at UoNottingham, we have a 1 hour lecture per week, a 1 hour workshop to expand on the grammar point that we studied in the lecture, and a 1 hour oral class per week. On top of that we have an exam at the end of each semester, and we have at least 2 'progress tests' per semester, which are on all the things that we've studied so far and are designed to tell us which areas we need to work on. That's not really a lot of contact hours during the week, and tbh I expected more hours for our language module. However, we are given quite a lot of seminar prep to do before class, and we are expected to do a lot of work on our own to ensure that we are up to standard.

I really don't want to sound negative about it and put you off. I really do enjoy my degree, however this is the realistic view. It's worth it though l, as you really do see such an improvement in your language skills even from week to week, and I wouldn't change it for the world.
Personally I've lost my love for languages having doing the Hispanic studies course. Not only am I learning Spanish but also Portuguese and it's very hard along with the other course modules which include; literature, poetry, politics and history within those languages. The language classes are intense, very past pace learning and completely in the chosen language. You really need to be attent at ALL times or it simply won't go in!!
Reply 4
Original post by CharleighKiara
Personally I've lost my love for languages having doing the Hispanic studies course. Not only am I learning Spanish but also Portuguese and it's very hard along with the other course modules which include; literature, poetry, politics and history within those languages. The language classes are intense, very past pace learning and completely in the chosen language. You really need to be attent at ALL times or it simply won't go in!!

Hey, that's sad :frown: I have not started to study yet but in September I'll also start to study Hispanic Studies at Aberdeen. May I ask you at which university you study ?
Sorry! I study at Queen Mary University of London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending