The Student Room Group

KCL - English Literature and Modern Languages

Hi everyone, I am interested in the English Literature and Modern Languages undergraduate course at King’s College London. Is anyone doing the course at KCL or another university? I’d enjoy hearing about your experiences and insights. Thanks!
Original post by laura_blues
Hi everyone, I am interested in the English Literature and Modern Languages undergraduate course at King’s College London. Is anyone doing the course at KCL or another university? I’d enjoy hearing about your experiences and insights. Thanks!

i do french at another uni if you have any questions about modern languages in general :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by average_human
i do french at another uni if you have any questions about modern languages in general :smile:

Hi :smile: thanks! I have a few questions; how are classes split between writing and speaking? Do you have the chance to stay one year in France? If you cover French literature, is it similar to English literature studies? Do you have any career plans in mind?
Hi :smile: thanks! I have a few questions; how are classes split between writing and speaking? Do you have the chance to stay one year in France? If you cover French literature, is it similar to English literature studies? Do you have any career plans in mind?

ok so im at manchester (1st year) for context so things may vary

i have 1 language module and 2 culture modules (one on history/politics & one on literature/cinema)

the language module is 3 hours per week: 1 hour speaking and 2 hours grammar - the grammar lessons are very much similar to a levels in the way they run, and speaking is usually a discussion around a particular theme in small groups

both of the culture modules are 2 hours a week: 1 hour lecture and 1 hour seminar (in french!)

yes, we spend 3rd year abroad working/studying

i only did English up to gcse, but i would say the literature studies is fairly similar - oh and for that we always have the choice whether to write essays in french or english, i would say 99% write in english at this point

idk about career plans lol

Reply 4
ok so im at manchester (1st year) for context so things may vary

i have 1 language module and 2 culture modules (one on history/politics & one on literature/cinema)

the language module is 3 hours per week: 1 hour speaking and 2 hours grammar - the grammar lessons are very much similar to a levels in the way they run, and speaking is usually a discussion around a particular theme in small groups

both of the culture modules are 2 hours a week: 1 hour lecture and 1 hour seminar (in french!)

yes, we spend 3rd year abroad working/studying

i only did English up to gcse, but i would say the literature studies is fairly similar - oh and for that we always have the choice whether to write essays in french or english, i would say 99% write in english at this point

idk about career plans lol

I appreciate you sharing your insights! It’s very helpful for me because I haven’t done Spanish since Year 8 (I took Latin for GCSE), but I’ve been self studying so that I don’t forgot all the vocab and grammar. For A-level I’m doing English Literature, Maths and Economics, but English has always been my biggest interest and I think it would be nice to combine it with Spanish (especially since King’s doesn’t require Spanish at A-level). Sorry about the rant haha just wanted to make things more clear. Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!!
I appreciate you sharing your insights! It’s very helpful for me because I haven’t done Spanish since Year 8 (I took Latin for GCSE), but I’ve been self studying so that I don’t forgot all the vocab and grammar. For A-level I’m doing English Literature, Maths and Economics, but English has always been my biggest interest and I think it would be nice to combine it with Spanish (especially since King’s doesn’t require Spanish at A-level). Sorry about the rant haha just wanted to make things more clear. Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!!

yess omg you should definitely take up spanish again! i did german a level but i kinda wish i'd kept up with it into uni :frown:

good look with a levels :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much! Best of luck in uni!! Have you considered German online courses or classes outside uni? It would be so cool, you could become trilingual (unless you already speak other languages apart from English and French)!
Thank you so much! Best of luck in uni!! Have you considered German online courses or classes outside uni? It would be so cool, you could become trilingual (unless you already speak other languages apart from English and French)!

ahh thank you! i think im going to try to move somewhere for my year abroad close to the border with germany so i can get the chance to speak it there! i also think uni does some courses so need to look into that
sadly don't speak any others (chinese for a year in year 12 does not count cause i dont remember anything😪) but hopefully spanish one day??
Reply 8
ahh thank you! i think im going to try to move somewhere for my year abroad close to the border with germany so i can get the chance to speak it there! i also think uni does some courses so need to look into that
sadly don't speak any others (chinese for a year in year 12 does not count cause i dont remember anything😪) but hopefully spanish one day??

Sounds like a good plan! I’m sure it’ll be a great experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending