The Student Room Group

Linguistics

Is linguistics more like studying a science or a humanity? is it a data interpretation approach or a more philosophical style view of language, and what is it like to study it in general?
Linguistics is a language science that requires analytical skills. English literature and Philology are humanity subjects, though.
Original post by florencejordan22
Is linguistics more like studying a science or a humanity? is it a data interpretation approach or a more philosophical style view of language, and what is it like to study it in general?

Hi!
I have juts completed my first year studying English Language and Linguistics at York St John University. Linguistics tends to be the scientific approach to language (for example studying phonetics or psycholinguistics) whereas the English Language side of my degree tends to focus more on the philosophical style view of language (for example I have studies multilingualism and language in society). I would describe linguistics as more of a social science than a purely science degree like that of biology, and my degree is a Batchelor of arts not science.
In general I am loving my degree, especially the linguistics side of it! I find the science behind how we speak fascinating and not something I expected to be so interesting.
https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/english-language-and-linguistics/english-language-and-linguistics-ba-hons/
Here is the link to my course overview, feel free to have a look if you want to see the modules in more detail. And of course I am here if you have any questions!

Hope this helps, Faye :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending