The Student Room Group

modern languages at uni

I'm currently studying level 3 games design at college (first year) and i would like to finish my two years but i am quite interested in studying foreign languages/linguistics at university. I passed german and english language but not literature at GCSE despite enjoying it, I just struggled for personal reasons. I am still very interested in art and computing but more so as a hobby and I feel like i'd rather have a career in languages but i'm not really sure if its possible with my current qualification, would it be too much of a jump or should i try applying? I have looked at some courses and most of them accept any level 3 btec qualification as long as i get good grades.
Reply 1
Original post by ana661
I'm currently studying level 3 games design at college (first year) and i would like to finish my two years but i am quite interested in studying foreign languages/linguistics at university. I passed german and english language but not literature at GCSE despite enjoying it, I just struggled for personal reasons. I am still very interested in art and computing but more so as a hobby and I feel like i'd rather have a career in languages but i'm not really sure if its possible with my current qualification, would it be too much of a jump or should i try applying? I have looked at some courses and most of them accept any level 3 btec qualification as long as i get good grades.
it’s a shame i’m only finding this thread now, have you already applied to any unis for modern languages? whatever language you’re hoping to study as long as you get a head start studying it before starting the degree it should be very doable. it could still be a big jump if you’ve not done any languages since gcse but it is NOT impossible at all. is german the language you were thinking of studying? some courses have foundation years or specifiy the level of fluency you should have before you go- so if a uni gives you an offer to study a language without having an A-level in it or any other language qualification it probably means they aren’t going to require a super high level of fluency from you right at the start if that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending