The Student Room Group

Why don't electrons fall into the nucleus?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by zed963
Okay then.... Maybe when you get to that level you'll realise that even the most brilliant of scientists haven't cracked the fundamentals.

Well maybe I'll be the one that does... We'll see... :smile:
Original post by Nissie1
I'm being sop serious... I just don't get physics, it makes no sense but chemistry is beautiful....

I'm not sure about the 1 minute reply delay, that's pretty quick.

In addition to saying chemistry makes more sense than physics, with chemistry being a subset of physics I'm going to call troll.
Reply 22
Original post by majmuh24
What is the concentration of Ag+ in a solution if it takes 2.30 mins using a current of 2.00A to plate all the silver from 0.25L of a solution containing Ag+?

Work out the answer to that and then get back to me on chemistry being simple. :rolleyes:

I saw the word current... I swear that's physics.....
Original post by Nissie1

Electrolysis? Have you never covered that in Chemistry?
Original post by Nissie1
All chemistry is kind of simple....

What are you on about?
Original post by Nissie1

Electrolysis.

Edit: Maj has already answered :colonhash:
Guys, stop derailing my thread with all the chemistry​ vs. physics stuff. This is mainly a Physics question, so take the science snobbery elsewhere.

Thanks. :h:
Lol a few kids doing GCSE trying to explain sub atomic nuclear physics.
Reply 28
Electrolysis? Have you never covered that in Chemistry?

Yeah I have but I don't like it, it's too physicsy
Original post by Old_Simon
Lol a few kids doing GCSE trying to explain sub atomic nuclear physics.

Trying is the operative word... -_-

I just wanted an answer to my question and it turned into a massive science snobbery argument :colonhash:
Reply 30
Original post by suzylemonade
Electrolysis.

Edit: Maj has already answered :colonhash:

Babe do you hate me by default??? So hostile towards me....
Original post by Nissie1
Yeah I have but I don't like it, it's too physicsy

Take the unrelated stuff to PM/VM and stop derailing my thread. :colonhash:
Trying is the operative word... -_-

I just wanted an answer to my question and it turned into a massive science snobbery argument :colonhash:

You are doing great dude. I am going to be so disappointed if you do not go to Trinity Cambridge.
Reply 33
Take the unrelated stuff to PM/VM and stop derailing my thread. :colonhash:

byeee
Electrons have a charge and thus attract to that of the opposite charge and are fixed in motion and position on an axis?
Original post by Dr.Khan
Electrons have a charge and thus attract to that of the opposite charge and are fixed in motion and position on an axis?

:confused:

I don't understand what you're trying to say. -_-

I thought the orbit of an electron was irregular (that is, assuming we are considering it as a particle)?
Reply 36
:confused:

I don't understand what you're trying to say. -_-

I thought the orbit of an electron was irregular (that is, assuming we are considering it as a particle)?

Seen as the movement of the electron is random and its displacement changes every second, isn't there a centrifugal force involved?
Reply 37
Original post by uberteknik
The orbiting electron analogy evolved into the more accurate Bohr-Rutherford model, but even this model falls apart exactly because it does not predict the behaviour of the atom for the reasons you have identified.

In other words it's simply wrong and no planetary-orbital model can predict the behaviour of the electron.

To get a better model one has to embrace quantum mechanics (which was developed to answer this paradox) and at a simple level of abstraction, you have to completely disregard the idea that electrons have a defined trajectory.

It's also more appropriate to think of the electron not as a particle but as a wave and a representation of energy.

In quantum mechanics, electrons are defined as having discreet energy levels constraining the space they are allowed to occupy around the nucleus. It also predicts that electrons cannot occupy the same space as the proton. Quantum theory is wierd in the extreme and the classical definition of causality for every event does not apply.

In essence, when you get down to physics at the sub-atomic level the 'why' question cannot be answered because it's the limit of physics knowledge.

The mathematics describes the observations of the atoms behaviour to a high degree of precision. But it does not explain why they happen.

Richard Feynman quotation:

"What keeps the electrons from simply falling in? The uncertainty principle: If they were in the nucleus, we would know their position precisely, which would require them to have a very large, but uncertain, momentum, i.e., a very large kinetic energy. This would cause them to break away from the nucleus. They make a compromise: they leave themselves a little room for this uncertainty and then jiggle with a certain amount of minimum motion in accordance with this rule."

Still a lot more Nobel prizes to be had if you can get closer to the answer!

Hi is that quote from a book? If so do you mind telling me which one
Original post by zed963
Seen as the movement of the electron is random and its displacement changes every second, isn't there a centrifugal force involved?

Yep, it's essentially the same principle as even though it is moving at a constant velocity, it's direction and therefore it's acceleration is changing.
Reply 39
Original post by zed963
Well one of the main reasons why the nucleus does not collide is due to the strong nuclear force.
At certain distances it attracts and brings things closer but when it's too close it starts to repel hence no collision occurs.

But electrons don't feel the strong nuclear force, only electromag, gravity and weak nuclear.
Plus, the range of the SNF isn't enough to really affect something as far away as electrons from a nucleus.

Quick Reply

Latest