The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Physics Paper 3: 9PH0 03 - 15th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your Edexcel A Level Physics Paper 3 Physics exam go?

Edexcel A Level Physics Paper 3: General and Practical Principles in Physics 9PH0 03 - 15th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Date/Time: 15th June, am
Length: 2hr 30mins

Resources
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/physics-2015.html
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Physics/2015/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/a-level-physics-data-formulae-relationships.pdf
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/a-level-edexcel/
A-level Physics Study Group 2022-2023

Congratulations on finishing your exam
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this one is going to be a long day
Reply 2
how are you planning on revising for this one though. the content isnt like just go over a textbook. 2 and a half hours as well😭
Reply 3
ive barely done any P3 revision and its the worst exam im doing fs, does anyone know extremely common questions they ask or patterns in the papers? (i can guess like finding percentage uncertainty and how to reduce uncertainty in measurements) but ik they dont only ask about practicals. is there like any knowledge i should make a note of and definitely keep in mind before going in to this exam? this might b a stupid question but how much of the module content do i have to know (for ex. know everything abt oscillations as thoroughly as i did for P2?) or would you say focus primarily on practicals and the revision ive already done for P1 and P2 will b good enough for this exam?

it seems like they could ask about anything and im scared i wont know the course content well enough to apply it. pls help P3 is stressing me out
Hi Guys,

I have some bold predictions, basing off the papers that we've done.

What will keep the same:
- Graph questions (drawing graphs)
- Criticising/ discussing extent questions
- Uncertainty questions
- Definition questions

What might be in the paper:
- Chapter 6, long answers on circular motion
- Chapter 12. space questions on H-R diagrams

What we must know:
- Questions revolving around accuracy, precision, uncertainty, just practical stuff in general
- Best go over the practicals you have done.
- Go over revision of all 13 Chapters, however P1 and P2 was intentional to not cover everything or everything properly. P3 will fill up those gaps.
Original post by GoldenAriesAndy
Hi Guys,

What will keep the same:
- Uncertainty questions
- Definition questions

What we must know:
- Questions revolving around accuracy, precision, uncertainty, just practical stuff in general
- Go over revision of all 13 Chapters, however P1 and P2 was intentional to not cover everything or everything properly. P3 will fill up those gaps.

also electricity i think hasnt come up enough
Reply 6
Original post by GoldenAriesAndy
Hi Guys,

What will keep the same:
- Uncertainty questions
- Definition questions

What we must know:

do u think also the practical for finding the viscosity of a fluid? there was like one q on fluids on P2 and it was the first MCQ and that was it
Original post by zwłoki998
do u think also the practical for finding the viscosity of a fluid? there was like one q on fluids on P2 and it was the first MCQ and that was it

Hmm, tbh, if they tested it in some way shape or form, it is unlikely it could come up, but I don't really 100% know. Remember there are unseen practicals, and they can test CH4 (fluids and materials) so yh.
Original post by hiiii.123456
also electricity i think hasnt come up enough

What do you mean, I saw a 6 marker on potential dividers, so that is one practical that might not be tested on. Also, drift velocity was touched upon. I don't know, again there might be a crazy unseen practical that tests electricity
Reply 9
Not looking forward to this one bit LMAO
******** bricks for this one
Reply 11
im alright w learning the practicals and stuff but some of the questions in this paper r literally j explaining processes (like why decay releases a lot of energy or how does the apparent weight of someone change on this spinning ride) which is what im scared for the most cuz it could be anything??

has anyone seen or does anyone have any predictions for what these could be? could they ask abt stuff like how does a cyclotron work (for example) or is it only related to practical areas? havent done enough past papers to know fs
same
Original post by shirokuro3
Not looking forward to this one bit LMAO
paper 1 and 2 were not vey good so got to do better on this one
Do you think there will be any derrivations in this paper
Original post by MahirMahmood05
Do you think there will be any derrivations in this paper

why not
im alright w learning the practicals and stuff but some of the questions in this paper r literally j explaining processes (like why decay releases a lot of energy or how does the apparent weight of someone change on this spinning ride) which is what im scared for the most cuz it could be anything??

has anyone seen or does anyone have any predictions for what these could be? could they ask abt stuff like how does a cyclotron work (for example) or is it only related to practical areas? havent done enough past papers to know fs

It's a mixture of uncertainties, practicals and straight up content from paper 1 and 2. They could easily ask any question that would be in a paper 1 or 2 script.

They're unlikely to ask questions on things already assessed this year so that should give you an idea of what to expect
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 17
if P1 and P2 have intentionally not covered certain topics, then out of these which r the most likely to show up/basically guaranteed? ik its kinda pointless to predict but i wanna know if there r ones i should focus on more than others

CP1 determining acceleration of a free fall object
CP2 determining resistivity of a wire
CP3 determining emf and internal resistance of cell
CP4 determining viscosity of fluid
CP5 determining young modulus of a material
CP6 determining speed of sound in air
CP7 frequency of a vibrating string
CP8 determine wavelength of light (diffraction + double slit)
CP9 investigating change in momentum
CP10 using ICT for collisions (p and Ek conserved stuff)
CP11 PD across charging and discharging capacitors
CP12 calibrating thermistor w a potential divider circuit
CP13 finding SLH
CP14 relationship between P and V in a gas
CP15 absorption of gamma radiation
CP16 unknown mass using mass-spring oscillations formula

also there's been no circular motion at all so im guessing there'll b some unseen practical on it?
if P1 and P2 have intentionally not covered certain topics, then out of these which r the most likely to show up/basically guaranteed? ik its kinda pointless to predict but i wanna know if there r ones i should focus on more than others

CP1 determining acceleration of a free fall object
CP2 determining resistivity of a wire
CP3 determining emf and internal resistance of cell
CP4 determining viscosity of fluid
CP5 determining young modulus of a material
CP6 determining speed of sound in air
CP7 frequency of a vibrating string
CP8 determine wavelength of light (diffraction + double slit)
CP9 investigating change in momentum
CP10 using ICT for collisions (p and Ek conserved stuff)
CP11 PD across charging and discharging capacitors
CP12 calibrating thermistor w a potential divider circuit
CP13 finding SLH
CP14 relationship between P and V in a gas
CP15 absorption of gamma radiation
CP16 unknown mass using mass-spring oscillations formula

also there's been no circular motion at all so im guessing there'll b some unseen practical on it?

You tell me, we both did the papers...
Reply 19
Original post by enrdegttve23
You tell me, we both did the papers...

ahaha ughh tm effort and my memory is too bad for that j wondering if anyone alr thought abt it but if not ill think abt it later

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending