The Student Room Group

Oxford Chemistry degree - Quantum Mechanics.

Hi, I am studying Chemistry at university level. I really enjoy theoretical chemistry and I would love to apply for a PhD in this field, at the university of Oxford. As a result, and since my university does not put much emphasis into this area within the syllabous, I started studying it independently during my free time.
I've been using Atkin's molecular quantum mechanics and physical chemistry textbooks during this process.
My question is, up to which chapters in these textbooks should I be reading to make sure that I have the same background knowledge as those studying at Oxford for their undergraduate degree?

The more you know - the better, generally speaking :p: MQM is a good book and if you're looking to go into this area then pretty much all of it is relevant, I'd say. Are you in your final year? Are you doing a research project in this area or plan to?
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks for your reply :smile: I had, are having and will have further work experience in the area. I am just trying to make sure that I will have just enough knowledge for the purposes the PhD interview.

PS:. I am a 3rd year out of 4. (i will be doing a project in the area next year)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending