The Student Room Group

Chemistry super curriculars

Hey guys, I’ve been really struggling with trying to find some chemistry super curriculars as I’m applying for Oxford university. Currently I’m in yr12.
I’ve applied to C3L6 competition and watched a few videos but that’s about it.
I’ve searched all of YouTube trying to find relevant lectures or documentaries but I just can’t. I’ve tried finding MOOCs but I don’t think many of them are relevant.
Honestly I’m running out of things to do. My grades are really good and I’m honestly just concerned about my personal statement.
I feel like unless someone gives me a link/specific name, I’m unsure what to use as super curricular.
I’ve even looked at the Oxford reading list (I bought a book today).
anything else you’d recommend ??
Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 1
Here is the Cambridge University list of websites for Natural Sciences and also includes Chemistry!!! :smile: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, I’ve been really struggling with trying to find some chemistry super curriculars as I’m applying for Oxford university. Currently I’m in yr12.
I’ve applied to C3L6 competition and watched a few videos but that’s about it.
I’ve searched all of YouTube trying to find relevant lectures or documentaries but I just can’t. I’ve tried finding MOOCs but I don’t think many of them are relevant.
Honestly I’m running out of things to do. My grades are really good and I’m honestly just concerned about my personal statement.
I feel like unless someone gives me a link/specific name, I’m unsure what to use as super curricular.
I’ve even looked at the Oxford reading list (I bought a book today).
anything else you’d recommend ??
Thanks so much :smile:

Found these links, which may help somewhat:

https://www.st-hildas.ox.ac.uk/content/chemistry-super-curricular-resources

https://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/files/page/supercurricular_guide.pdf

You already seem to have done quite a bit, so don’t be too concerned- just make sure you are able to write about whatever you do in your PS. Say for example, you watch a TED talk on quantum mechanics that really interests you, you should write about how that benefits you, e.g quantum mechanics is important in a lot of the modelling used in theoretical chemistry and the TED talk itself gave an insight into how one should present their findings, given presenting ideas is an integral part of the scientific method.

Another idea would be to establish which part of chemistry interests you the most and focus your supercurriculars there to narrow down your search. When I applied, I focused my reading on inorganic chemistry and wrote about how I was fascinated by the use of transition metal complexes in catalysis.

Remember that your biggest focuses should be on straightening up your interview technique and ensuring your A level grades are consistently high (not that you are likely to have difficulty with doing so).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending