The Student Room Group

Should all wealth and possessions be claimed by the state when you die?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Aoide
Yeah that probably isn't the example you want to use. 1930s-40s Germany isn't an economical model we want to be following.

I disagree if you look at the economic graphs the increase in wealth and productivity during this period is staggering.
Reply 81
Original post by crayz
Not if you are told by the government you haven't earned it.
You're the reason why the revolution is coming.
Original post by crayz
Nah I disagree. If the state suddenly had the power to determine our economic interests our wealth wouldn't change that much.

how does a state determine our economic interests? it can make it so our economic interests are made impossible by laws and taxes but how do they change our economic interests?
Reply 83
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yep.

Milton kindly explains for us why this is a silly idea:

I don't get it he is saying it is bad to spend money on living a better life?
Reply 84
Original post by captain.sensible
how does a state determine our economic interests? it can make it so our economic interests are made impossible by laws and taxes but how do they change our economic interests?

If the state develops education which is better than private education then our economic interest in private education disappears.
Original post by crayz
Nah I disagree. If the state suddenly had the power to determine our economic interests our wealth wouldn't change that much.

Either you know nothing about world history of the past couple of centuries, or you are being ridiculously naive, or just trolling.
Reply 86
Original post by crayz
I disagree if you look at the economic graphs the increase in wealth and productivity during this period is staggering.

You might want to study some history. This boom came due to preparation for war and the oppression of large segments of society- it was entirely artificial and was followed by a massive crash.
Original post by crayz
If the state develops education which is better than private education then our economic interest in private education disappears.

no I mean how does this relate to states like north korea? how did north korea become so much poorer than south korea if not for trying to control people economically opposed to people controlling themselves?
Reply 88
Original post by Aoide
You might want to study some history. This boom came due to preparation for war and the oppression of large segments of society- it was entirely artificial and was followed by a massive crash.

So you are saying preparing for wars improves economies? What if instead of preparing for war we prepare for building 50 million houses. Then we build the houses and if a crash happens it doesn't matter because we have 50 million new houses which will more than pay for it.
Reply 89
no I mean how does this relate to states like north korea? how did north korea become so much poorer than south korea if not for trying to control people economically opposed to people controlling themselves?

Because South Korea has more friends.
Original post by crayz
I don't get it he is saying it is bad to spend money on living a better life?

No. He is saying in essence that if you take everyone's wealth away from them when they die (a) you destroy incentives for people to gain wealth, because older people work to a large degree for their families, and (b) you encourage people to binge consume any wealth they do have before they die (because otherwise the money will revert to the state), which means no-one invests in anything long term because there's no point; and if no-one invests in anything, nothing gets built or done.
Reply 91
Original post by felamaslen
Either you know nothing about world history of the past couple of centuries, or you are being ridiculously naive, or just trolling.

I have a masters degree in economics.
Reply 92
No. He is saying in essence that if you take everyone's wealth away from them when they die (a) you destroy incentives for people to gain wealth, because older people work to a large degree for their families, and (b) you encourage people to binge consume any wealth they do have before they die (because otherwise the money will revert to the state), which means no-one invests in anything long term because there's no point; and if no-one invests in anything, nothing gets built or done.

If you don't invest money and instead spend it on consumables you create the same amount of wealth. Learn some economics.
Original post by crayz
Because South Korea has more friends.

1) how would that be relevant?
2) north korea at least HAD a lot of friends, yet in that period of time there was still a huge difference between north and south korea, as well as west and east germany.
Original post by crayz

Well Milton Friedman has (had) a Nobel Prize.

Your move.
Original post by crayz

...and you're in the "student room" becaaause...?
Reply 96
...and you're in the "student room" becaaause...?

I am doing research into the economic illiteracy of students.
Reply 97
Well Milton Friedman has (had) a Nobel Prize.

Your move.

He is dead therefore his argument is invalid.
Reply 98
1) how would that be relevant?
2) north korea at least HAD a lot of friends, yet in that period of time there was still a huge difference between north and south korea, as well as west and east germany.

North Korea is also run by idiots that kind of makes a big difference.
Original post by crayz
I am doing research into the economic illiteracy of students.

ahh, so you're posing as an economically illiterate student to try to blend in to get more accurate testimonies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending