The Student Room Group

Getting out of an uncomfortable relationship

(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by kimlovesGod
A friend of mine has been acting quite strange around me, he gets all nervous and I catch him day dreaming all the time in class. He is very possessive, a lot of times he tells me mean things about others as if for him to be my only friend. I find it strange but I think he is interested in me sexually, however I might be wrong. I do not know how to deal with it. Can someone help me so I can let him know that I see him only as a friend? I have lots of studying to do and this disturbs me

Hey There! Seems like a funny situation... In regards to being able to tell him how you feel and to make sure he knows how you feel you should have a personal one on one with him where you tell him how you feel. Be open and honest ans tell him your view without being too harsh. Maybe don't say he's weird or anything like that but obviously, state that it makes you uncomfortable. I'm unsure whether him daydreaming is related to the problem? But then again he could be into you. If you find him possessive you should talk to him about that too. I personally went through something like this where I was a little too possessive, however, when spoken to by the individual, problems were cleared up and I had the opportunity to change. Maybe you should do the same. Let him know that you believe he is too possessive and tell him to kind of back off in a way. But the most important thing is to give him the chance to change before getting frustrated. Maybe he has mixed signals? Maybe he is under the false impression you have feelings for him? This is okay and completely normal, however, if you talk to him nicely alone (if you are comfortable) you should both be able to express your feelings. The keyword being both. Both people should have the chance to tell eachother how they feel and discuss what to do about it. Hopefully, if he's a decent friend, he should understand that you don't have feelings for him. If he doesn't and continues to make constant moves on you, this should be escalated and other people, parents, guardians etc should be involved. When actually speaking to him, like I said avoid any aggression or frustrated terms. Rather than "I don't want you" perhaps try "I don't feel the same way". Console him and make sure he's okay because, if the guy has feelings for you, it may be difficult to hear that you don't. Tell him that you really love being friends with him! (I assume you do) But make sure that's how you want it to stay. Relationships are a two way thing and they should stay that way :smile: Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Josh-B-10
Hey There! Seems like a funny situation... In regards to being able to tell him how you feel and to make sure he knows how you feel you should have a personal one on one with him where you tell him how you feel. Be open and honest ans tell him your view without being too harsh. Maybe don't say he's weird or anything like that but obviously, state that it makes you uncomfortable. I'm unsure whether him daydreaming is related to the problem? But then again he could be into you. If you find him possessive you should talk to him about that too. I personally went through something like this where I was a little too possessive, however, when spoken to by the individual, problems were cleared up and I had the opportunity to change. Maybe you should do the same. Let him know that you believe he is too possessive and tell him to kind of back off in a way. But the most important thing is to give him the chance to change before getting frustrated. Maybe he has mixed signals? Maybe he is under the false impression you have feelings for him? This is okay and completely normal, however, if you talk to him nicely alone (if you are comfortable) you should both be able to express your feelings. The keyword being both. Both people should have the chance to tell eachother how they feel and discuss what to do about it. Hopefully, if he's a decent friend, he should understand that you don't have feelings for him. If he doesn't and continues to make constant moves on you, this should be escalated and other people, parents, guardians etc should be involved. When actually speaking to him, like I said avoid any aggression or frustrated terms. Rather than "I don't want you" perhaps try "I don't feel the same way". Console him and make sure he's okay because, if the guy has feelings for you, it may be difficult to hear that you don't. Tell him that you really love being friends with him! (I assume you do) But make sure that's how you want it to stay. Relationships are a two way thing and they should stay that way :smile: Good luck!

(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by kimlovesGod
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. It's unbelievable that someone understands me when I talk about my feelings. Usually, I talk with anxiety and it becomes a mess. You have helped me on all sides. I will try to be understanding to how people are but at the same time I will have to keep my boundaries. I should be able to handle all of it. I am a bit scared of confrontation and I often make small matters look big. I tend to look into the future but sometimes it is the best decision so you can be prepared for the worst. Have a good day or night.

No problem! Happy to help! Yeah I do the exact same thing. I often overthink and turn really simple situations into massive ones haha. I understand about the whole feeling anxious to talk. Take your time with this. Think through what you want to say. Maybe involve a parent? Or somebody you trust. If you're anxious about speaking in person perhaps try a phone call. Either way avoid doing this over text as often feelings are misunderstood and things can be taken the wrong way etc etc. Of course you need to establish boundaries! That is 100% what you need to do! I agree in this case looking into the future is a great decision because this does have the opportunity to get out of hand. But obviously take your time. Do what makes you comfortable. Best of luck for the future! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Josh-B-10
No problem! Happy to help! Yeah I do the exact same thing. I often overthink and turn really simple situations into massive ones haha. I understand about the whole feeling anxious to talk. Take your time with this. Think through what you want to say. Maybe involve a parent? Or somebody you trust. If you're anxious about speaking in person perhaps try a phone call. Either way avoid doing this over text as often feelings are misunderstood and things can be taken the wrong way etc etc. Of course you need to establish boundaries! That is 100% what you need to do! I agree in this case looking into the future is a great decision because this does have the opportunity to get out of hand. But obviously take your time. Do what makes you comfortable. Best of luck for the future! :smile:

Thank you so much. Best of luck, I hope that you achieve all your goals and desires in life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending